The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HORRIBLE! I had to drink two containers of Readi-CAT 2 this morning (2 cups each, 4 hrs apart) in preparation for an abdominal CAT scan. Finished drinking at 9 AM, scan ~9:15, then modest high protein/low carb breakfast ~10.

At noon, my BG=264! :mad:

To appreciate how bad that is, my current 1-mo 2-hr post measures are: average=120.7, with a 95% range of 'true' average = 114 to 127 (achieved by working really hard on diet & exercise).

Has anyone else had that experience? I bet Readi-CAT2 has loads and loads and loads of sugar & who knows what else, to make it palatable.

We diabetics deserve a low-sugar barium sulfate prep solution. Does anyone know of any such brands. Too late for me this round, but given the incidence of diabetes & increasing use of CT scans for diagnostic testing, there really should be a low-carb version.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
They knew for sure. Told me to stop metformin for 48 hrs post-test, plus 2 methylprednisone pills to take beforehand, to reduce possible kidney damage that diabetics have higher probability of getting with the procedure. And I have to get kidney function tested after 48 hrs, before going back on Met.

Have been utterly fatigued all day. By evening, BG was down to 208. Ate protein, fats & drinking lots of water, per instructions. Exercised for ~30 minutes which usually helps (like 40 pt drop) but only dropped to --- 206. Basically nada. Maybe the barium itself pops BG? Methylprednisone? Stress?

Maybe it's the high BG induced by the procedure that increases the chance of kidney failure. Would be useful to know.

I'm really curious to hear others' experience with CT scans requiring barium solution. Maybe I'm just having a weird individual experience, but maybe not. Definitely will research to see if this is common.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Stuck very high 3 days post-prednisone (like 290 after lunch today!). Exercise does nada. Eating is irrelevant. Very tired, very shaky.

Any ideas about how long this will take to subside? Anything I can do besides drink gallons and gallons of water, hoping to flush the damn stuff out?

(rant alert) Dumb doc office nurse forgot to put in request for kidney function test -- I went for a blood draw yesterday but turned out it was for A1c!!!!! Had to go back today for another blood draw for kidney stuff. Great, eh?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
fbg back to normal this AM, after re-starting Met yesterday.

That's 5 days of very high bg (16) from 2 small pills of methylprednisonal & readi-cat2. Ick.

I feel for anyone who has to take prednisone to stay alive.

·
Registered
221 Posts
HORRIBLE! I had to drink two containers of Readi-CAT 2 this morning (2 cups each, 4 hrs apart) in preparation for an abdominal CAT scan. Finished drinking at 9 AM, scan ~9:15, then modest high protein/low carb breakfast ~10.

At noon, my BG=264! :mad:

To appreciate how bad that is, my current 1-mo 2-hr post measures are: average=120.7, with a 95% range of 'true' average = 114 to 127 (achieved by working really hard on diet & exercise).

Has anyone else had that experience? I bet Readi-CAT2 has loads and loads and loads of sugar & who knows what else, to make it palatable.

We diabetics deserve a low-sugar barium sulfate prep solution. Does anyone know of any such brands. Too late for me this round, but given the incidence of diabetes & increasing use of CT scans for diagnostic testing, there really should be a low-carb version.
I am pretty sure it was the predinsone that raised your BG to such heights since predinsone is known to do that. I am glad your BG are back to their usual numbers and yes predinsone has some nasty side effects.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.