The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

So, I have a weird healthy history and lots of posible reasons to feel the way I feel besides diabetes, but maybe you can help give me some insight. FIrst, some background, then I have some questions.

27 years old now. 4-5 years ago I tested 97 glucose, another was 101 3 years ago, retested it to 98 or something. Doctor was not concerned but I thought it was high for my age. Back then I was 170lbs 5'11. I also had high cholesterol & my blood pressure isn't great for my age either (125/80 after sittnig down for awhile, 134 or so when I just sit down). No family history of diabetes.

After that, I didn't go to doctors for a long time. I sadly got addicted to oxycodone painkillers for the last 2-3 years now and trying to get off. I am self employed with a desk job, meaning getting to work is rolling out of bed, so very little physical activity. My diet has lots of room for improvement too. My weight went up to 195 lbs recently after being stable at 185lbs for awhile-- I was concerned at the sudden icnrease but realize the inactivty, getting older, and bad diet are probably responsible.

Recently I started getting very sleepy in the day--- sometimes with or without a meal, but meal often made it worst. The sleepiness would often be accompanied by tachycardia and uneasy stomach rumblings. I always wonder if the stress of worrying of symptoms caused the extra symptoms (somach/heart rate). My eyes would close and I'd drift off and snap back out-- sometimes woudl take a nap, but try not too. Going for a walk would help A LOT. Drinking alcohol makes me tired too. I got a blood glucose meter and my random blood glucose readings were usually in the 120-130 range 2-4 hours after eating. I had a ton of ice cream and tested in 30 min to see how hard it'd spike, an it was like 137 or something. Read under 140 is fine, so dismissed it--- figured if I had diabetes, an ice cream feast after 30 min should put my blood sugar through the roof. Right? Drug forums said chronic OC use causes lack of energy too... Also, I sleep very poorly-- I sleep at aruond 5:30-6:30am and wake up 12-1pm & drugs effect your sleep efficiency.

So... the sleepyness would go away for weeks, come back--- sometimes sleeping better helped.. exercising helped. 2 days ago I had an episode of frequent urination for the first time--- I peed 8-10 times. OC also effects urination by making it more difficult to urinate and void ur bladder, but this was weird. Strangely, I had no thirst accomponying the urinatino. Today, I have no symptoms of frequent urination but it is only 3:30pm. Yesterday, I bought urine test and all were glucose negative during the height of of my urine frquency episode. I took my waking glucose @ 1pm or os with the meter like 4 times consecutivelyand ranged from 105, 107, 99, 110, 106-- the a random 122!!! but this stupid meter has done this numerous times--- gives me a crazy high reading then 3-4 tests show normal ones. wtf!?

So...unless the meter is inaccurate, or the extreme stress the thought of diabetes is giving me higher blood glucose, it seems at the least I need to lower my glucose with diet and exercise. However, I never have THAT high of readings...

Questions:

1.) Does it sound like blood glucose is the cause of my symptoms? Can pre-diabetes cause symptoms like this or is more likely my lack of sleep, poor exercise, and drug use which are making my sleepy/drowsy at times?
2.) Do morning fasting readings need to be at like 8-10am? Perhaps if you wait to long and wake up late like me glycogen is released
3.) IT seems to me that instead of food sky rocketing my glucose, I just permanently have a little more than usual in my blood. I don't get huge spikes of glucose, it is just perpetually above what it should be I feel. Sometimes it spikes without me even eating anything--- like one time I didn't eat for hours and checked it and it was like 120 or something.
4.) How high of a glucose reading do you have when you are diabetic tired? Or frequently urinating? Is negative urine glucose readings during an episode of frequent urinatino all day a good sign that maybe it's not glucose related?
5.) Is my 10 lbs weight gain less indicative of diabetes? I heard onset of diabetes is generally weight loss, not gain.

I am worried :( Does it sound like I can reverse whatever is happenign here with diet/exercise, or am I doomed to get diabetes one day no matter what? I am so young and this is a great stress on me.... Any advice would be appreciated. Sorry for huge text wall

·
Registered
20 Posts
Normal readings for nondiabetics is around the ~83 mark. Being sleepy and tired like you are I would suspect to be from the lack of exercise, the poor diet, the alcohol and the OC. Not from the glucose readings you are having, they are slightly above average, not anything to be worried about concerning being fatigued. It's normal for a spike after eating a lot of carbohydrates.

Fasting seems a little high, but it depends on how long you have been fasting. Any other medications you are on, any type of exercise the previous day.

There are two things that stand out to me. One is you mentioning random high readings with the meter. Do you know how to properly do a blood test, code the strips if the meter requires it, and calibrate the meter? Also, which meter are you using (research it online)? If your fingers are not clean, ie. handled food, you can get a false high. If you don't place enough blood on the strip, you can get a false high. Squeezing your finger can give a variation in results. Regarding the specific meter, all meters have a margin of error. Very unlikely to get two consecutive results that are exactly the same, but they will be close with a good meter. The higher the actual bg, the greater the variation will be. However, there are many meters on the market that are just terrible and have an unacceptable margin of error (some can give a reading as high as 100% off).

The second thing that stands out is your sleeping habits, lack of exercise, and drug use. All this can add up to insulin resistance which results in elevated blood glucose levels. You need to get this under control regardless.

If you are testing properly and routinely have elevated bg levels after fasting or several hours after eating (providing your diet is good) then it would be wise to visit a doctor.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I really think a doctor is the best person to answer your questions. Ice cream is not the best thing to test bg with. The high fat content sometimes will delay a spike. Actually ice cream is a relatively low glycemic food. Usually if your bgs are very high you will be tired a lot but your numbers don't seem that high. Normal bg are 70-100 for fasting and 80-120 or so for after meal bgs. As said above average random bgs are 83. I would have the doctor test your vitamin levels as well as your iron levels. Many other things can cause tiredness. Normally we do fasting the minute we roll out of be 6-7 am. The longer I wait the higher my bg will be.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the replies. Just talked to some guy who scared the **** out of me convincing me I am a diabetic but I realizewhat he says is not all true..

I use a walgreens true2go meter:
wwwDOTmedicoolDOTcom/diabetes/images/truetest_togo.jpg

I usually squeeze my finger until there is a good drop of blood, then let it soeak up until the blood reaches the end, then I stop. I wash & dry hands first. The reading has given me some crazy results in the past... one time it read 160 then I freaked out and did 4 results after all saying 120 or so.

Should I not squeeze my finger for more blood? Stress has been so high lately I am incapacitated with it thinking my parents might outlive me and have to deal with the pain of watching their son deteriorate--- I wonder what kind of girl would want to marry me if I am diabetic & then their kids will be at risk and she'd have to deal with my life. It just sucks... I have resorted to taking xanax to ease the stress (more drugs). I really do want ot quit drugs and eat healthy & exercise but it's just so much stuff on my plate it's hard to get the will power.

PS. Frequent urinatino stopped today. It lasted two days; never happened before that. 6pm urinated 2 times but didn't eat any food due to stress-- just ate first meal we'll see if the sugar rise causes constant urination.

1.) So--- if I were urinating constantly and super fatigued, my glucose readings (if caused by that) would likely be about how high?
2.) If I wake up late-- say, 12-2pm-- does that effect my readings compared to waking up at 9am and testing it? I notice early wakings I am always hungry (low blood sugar?) but when waking up at 12pm+ I go several hours without lunch.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
The simplest answer to your problem is go to a doctor and get your Hba1c, OGTT (oral glucose tolerance) and any other test the doctor recommends. This may cost some money but will give you confirmed answers.

Internet can be used for getting information and learning but it's not very intelligent to use it for guessing about your health

·
Registered
20 Posts
As tony suggested, the only way to know for sure is to see a doctor. Online we can give you some advice and help you understand certain things, but it stops there. We can speculate what a problem is, but that doesn't make it a fact nor is it at all helpful. Ultimately you need to be examined by a doctor. The fatigue for example could be caused by a lot of things, some of which may only show up in blood work. Or it could be stress related, etc.

High glucose results in frequent urination and thirst. One of the way your body rids itself of excess glucose is through urine. However, there are other things that are not diabetes related that can cause excess urination.

Hunger may or may not be related to low blood sugar.

Sleeping habits can have an effect on blood glucose when waking for a diabetic because of the dawn phenomenon.

Squeezing the fingers hard while drawing blood can cause variations in readings. Should be a gentle milking motion. If your fingers are cold, you may have to warm them up first.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Jaymilb...I agree with the others here that you really should see your doctor regarding your concerns. However, with that said, you also need to improve all your habits. You seem to be concerned with your level of exercise, your eating habits, your lifestyle choices. It is not easy to look on our lives and see all the flaws we have created. But, you are the only one who can make those changes for the better. Please don't wait until something terrible happens to you to make those changes. You can deal with stress and anxiety without medicine. Xanax is one of the most addictive of drugs, along with the OC...very addictive. Do what you need to do to get off these drugs. You need to look at your diet and really tweak out the bad stuff. Eat fresh veggies, real saturated fat (such as olive oil, avacado, coconut oil, heavy cream, real butter) in your diet and forget anything that has chemically processed fats (such as anything with trans fat or hydrogenated fat), and choose protein with good fat as well. Stay away from "white" starches. If you system can handle them, eat whole grain or multi grain. Since you are not classified as a diabetic, I would check my bg's with the starches to see what causes fluctuations. Also, fruits can also spike bg's so it is important to know which fruits are okay for you and which are not. You can avoid becoming diabetic if you suspect you are heading in that direction. Get some exercise; all you really need to do is get outside and do 30 minutes of brisk walking daily. This can be enough to help with your sleepiness during the day. I would say that most of your problem is falling into bad habits. You can make positive changes, and you alone have to be motivated enough to do this. Don't end up on the wrong end of a test strip...readings that confirm diabetes. You can change. I have confidence that you can. If I could change my eating habits and exercise, anybody can.
Good Luck and keep us posted. Welcome to our forum, but please take care of your health and life. It is very precious. Handle it with care.

Reactions: jaymilb

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the kind words they really made me feel a lot better. I am really depressed right now because things just seem out of control--- getting my diet under control & proper exercise for the rest of my life, quitting drugs... I want to do all these things but it's just so hard I have so much work to do and family and friends always around and I am scared to tell them I might be sick. My parents ahve enough issues and I just want them to be happy, I dont want them to stress that their sons life might be ruined.

I've been testing a lot and getting a plethora of weird results and I just dont know what to make of it... i'm not getting diabetic #'s but I'm getting a lot of prediabetic numbers and things that make no sense. OC slows your digestion so you are chronically constipated--- I ate a big sushi w/ rice, miso soup, and beer meal and tested 1:15 later to see my "spike". It was 110; I was so happy. Then I took a nap and woke up and it was 155 2.5 hours after meal! I immediately retook it and it was 144, then 126, then 133 liek 3 times. My meter is ridiculous how can there be so much variation within a matter of minutes... is it because I just woke up so I got a sudden spike? Or is this thing just out of it's mind? I was really worried but realize it's likely because my digestion is delayed... hence why there was little absorbtion at 1:15 hr. Does this make sense?

In the past i've had high cholesterol - high ldl, low hdl, subpar blood pressure, high liver enzymes, and strange hormone readings. I once thought it was possibly a prolactinoma benign pituitary tumor but doctor didn't think it to be the case-- those cause cortisol secretions which raise blood sugar, and that could be behind this. I just feel so alone right now because I am scared to tell friends or parents so all I can do is take xanax to prevent me from being in a constant state of panic and depression-- since i'm not overwieght i worry it could be 1.5 which is worse than pre-diabetic 2 since it will progress to 1... at least if i'm just prediabetic 2 from my bad lifestyle I can make a change for the better and stick to it forever. I've already started eating good and exercising and notice my BG is low after exercise and good diet, but i'm too stressed to eat 5 small meals os just eat twice a day right now.

Thanks for support and help, maybe the #'s are high but I am not a diabetic and can reverse this with a strong effort. I am willing to make it I dont want to die young.

Jaymilb...I agree with the others here that you really should see your doctor regarding your concerns. However, with that said, you also need to improve all your habits. You seem to be concerned with your level of exercise, your eating habits, your lifestyle choices. It is not easy to look on our lives and see all the flaws we have created. But, you are the only one who can make those changes for the better. Please don't wait until something terrible happens to you to make those changes. You can deal with stress and anxiety without medicine. Xanax is one of the most addictive of drugs, along with the OC...very addictive. Do what you need to do to get off these drugs. You need to look at your diet and really tweak out the bad stuff. Eat fresh veggies, real saturated fat (such as olive oil, avacado, coconut oil, heavy cream, real butter) in your diet and forget anything that has chemically processed fats (such as anything with trans fat or hydrogenated fat), and choose protein with good fat as well. Stay away from "white" starches. If you system can handle them, eat whole grain or multi grain. Since you are not classified as a diabetic, I would check my bg's with the starches to see what causes fluctuations. Also, fruits can also spike bg's so it is important to know which fruits are okay for you and which are not. You can avoid becoming diabetic if you suspect you are heading in that direction. Get some exercise; all you really need to do is get outside and do 30 minutes of brisk walking daily. This can be enough to help with your sleepiness during the day. I would say that most of your problem is falling into bad habits. You can make positive changes, and you alone have to be motivated enough to do this. Don't end up on the wrong end of a test strip...readings that confirm diabetes. You can change. I have confidence that you can. If I could change my eating habits and exercise, anybody can.
Good Luck and keep us posted. Welcome to our forum, but please take care of your health and life. It is very precious. Handle it with care.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
PS--- the results were as follows. After a dinner of salad with steak, followed by dungeoness crab & garlic bread, I woke up wtih a 94 glucose & was happy about that. After my lunch of kung pao chicken w/ rice & veggies an hour or two it was at 126 or so. after 2.5-3 hours it spiked at 145 and i got scared and retested to find it at 133... often I see a huge spike, get scared, retest, and it drops. NOt sure if's being tainted. Not too long after it dropped to 126 then ~110. I felt happy that it was in the normal range, although not the best a workable range, but then 2.5-3 hours after the sushi feast which I THOUGHT was healthy (other than the beer) seeing > 140 scared me since I ate it so long ago, but then rememberd I digest slowly and am constipated so maybe 2.5 hours for me is liek 1.5 hours for others? It then dropped pretty quick to 126-132 hopefully is lower now but I am too scared to test before bed because a bad result will keep me up all night.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Feeling alone/depressed/sad/stressed - Not sure if I am diabetic or not =-\

Hey all,

I have recently become very worried that I am pre-diabetic/diabetic or close. I know there is something wrong wiht my blood glucose and ams eeing a doctor on Monday. I am only 27 195lbs and have my whole life ahead of me and it is heartbreaking to me to think my life will be cut short if it's true. I feel hopeless, alone, depressed, and in a perpetual state of stress that I am trying to mask to my friends and family which is eating away at me because I wish I had some support or help and not have to deal with this alone.

I bought a meter because I was feeling fatigued and in the past readings 4 years ago I had 101 glucose fasting, another subsequent test was 97 so we ut it aside but this was years ago. Glucose readings now are inconclusive--- rarely does it exceed 140 which is thershold for prediabetes, at any point, but my glucose seems to always be above 100 in the day--- often 125 or so a couple hours after eating. I have slow digestion from oxycontin constipation (sadly I am an addict trrying to stop) so hope that is why 2.5-3 hours after eating I see high numbers while at 1-2 hours they are lower--- had 114 only 1.5 hours after but 136 2.5 hours after which scared me to death.

If I do have diabetes and decide to exercise and eat great and do everything possible, can I live a normal healthy life free of complications? I hear of ppl on metaformin with reasonable glucose levels & ppl who see to control it well--- but is it still not enough? I feel like it's a death sentence and will be scared to mary and have kids for fear of bringing someone into my troubled life and risking children getting it... I am so depressed and stressed out and feeling so alone and helpless. Every morning I dont want to wake up and face the reality and wish Ic ould just keep sleeping. I've resorted to taking xanax regularly and dont want to be on another drug, but I can't have such high stress levels. I need a doctor who will try his hardest to help me but in the past I just get rushed out of doctors offices and no one ever cares about me to treat me like they want to really help me.

No matter what my results are, have you been able to find peace and happiness with it and learn to live lives not hindered by this all the time? If it is pre-diabetes and I lose 20 pounds and eat right nad exercse everyda, is it possible I will not be at higher risk for health problems? I am only 27 and feel like ti's so young to be worrying about this and feel like I will be dead at 50 or something... I don't want to die young and i dont want to ruin my mom and dad and brothers life by giving them the stress of me being in bad health & hindering my chances of happyness.

Sorry for the sob story I just dont know where to turn I am too scared to tell my familoy or friends in fear it will ruin their little "happy bubble" of everything being ok right now... they don't deserve stress their kids are what make them the most happy. Anyway, thanks for listening

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
First take a deep breath and relax. Even if you hae diabetes or pre diabetes it is not a death sentence. When you hear of people dying from diabetes complications it is usually from having very high or very low bgs or a roller coaster effect for many years. This is what does the damage to their blood vessels which affects the feet, legs, eyes, kidneys, heart and other organs. With a few tweaks of diet, adding exercise and taking whatever meds/insulins you need will prevent a lot of theis damage. I would suggest you go to the website Blood Sugar 101 it gives you a lot of basic information about diabetes. That 140 number you talk about is the number you should never go over as a diabetic. Most non diabetics are closer to 100 or under most of the day within a few hours of eating. I was a very healthy eater before diabetes- a vegetarian eating no meat, eggs, cheese, sugar or fat. Now as a diabetic I still eat healthy but I eat differently for my bgs. My go to meal when I can afford it is a small steak, green veggies, mushrooms sauted in butter and a bigh salad. Of course I top it off with a glass of red wine. This is not a bad way to eat. People in my family live well into their 90's or even 100 and I expect to join them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I believe the acceptable margin of error for a meter is 20% but a good meter the margin of error should be around 10-15%. So a reading of 140 can be off by 14-21. In other words, a reading of 120 and a reading of 140 can be considered equivalent.

Your readings are nowhere near life threatening and nothing to start panicking over. Stressing over it will only make matters worse.

Go see the doctor. You can post your results online a hundreds times and do a hundred experimentations with meals but we still can't tell you anything. We can't give you a diagnoses. You have to be examined by a doctor. Since you are doing all these tests anyways, log them. Log what you ate, how long, anything you think may be the cause of any fluctuations and bring them with you to the doc. Don't play around with your health.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey Mike,

I have an appointment on Monday with a primary care. However, do PCPs even help with this stuff or do I really need an endo? I know my #'s arent life threatening but I fear they are a sign of bad things to come--- my biggest fear is 1.5 which means I'd be insulin dependent in a few years--- since I Have on family history and not THAT overweight, it fits a little...

Believe it or not, my BEST case scenario is that I have a benign pituitary tumor secreting prolactin & cortisol which raises glucose. I had symptoms of a prolactin tumor awhile ago--- raised estrogen, lower testosterone & some cortisol symptoms as well-- gained weight, stretch marks, red cheeks. I did a cortisol test and it was negative, but read that they have a 30% false negative. If I can have a benign tumor removed that will fix 1000 problems I'm havnig I'll be jumping for joy. Seems kind of unlikely though.

So ya--- going to doctor, but my stress is so high and i'm trynig to learn everything I Can so I can guide the doctor to help me the proper way. Also, the stress is kind of a like a compulsion to google, blood test, and forum post constantly hoping I'll see something that will ease my mind or hear something...

PS. Those glucose meters suck---they are off by so much sometimes it'd ridiculous. Then I retest 3x and it all changes.

I believe the acceptable margin of error for a meter is 20% but a good meter the margin of error should be around 10-15%. So a reading of 140 can be off by 14-21. In other words, a reading of 120 and a reading of 140 can be considered equivalent.

Your readings are nowhere near life threatening and nothing to start panicking over. Stressing over it will only make matters worse.

Go see the doctor. You can post your results online a hundreds times and do a hundred experimentations with meals but we still can't tell you anything. We can't give you a diagnoses. You have to be examined by a doctor. Since you are doing all these tests anyways, log them. Log what you ate, how long, anything you think may be the cause of any fluctuations and bring them with you to the doc. Don't play around with your health.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Jaymilb...trust me when I tell you that eating low carb high fat is definitely the way to eat. I just got back 3-month numbers and my lipids are within normal limits after a lifetime of highs! Last year my triglycerides were as high as 6200! Normal is 50-149. I just got my blood work back, and after only 3-months of eating high fat, my triglycerides are 169! I have NEVER been that low. My cholesterol was 174 and is now 155, my LDL is 80 and HDL 45. My HbA1C went from 12.1 to 9.1 (not great but still working on it). You need to be committed to improving your health. Please do whatever you have to do to get off the pain meds and the anxiety meds. If you must take an anxiety med, please switch to a lower type med like Zoloft or Lexipro. Xanax is so nasty. There are even natural supplements that can help as well such as St. John's Wort, or other calming supplements that are non-addictive. If you are uncomfortable sharing with your family or friends right now, it's okay. We are here on the forum to support you and give you advice. Don't be obsessive with testing unless you get some really high numbers. Meters do have a variance, so keep that in mind when a number is a bit higher. Also, just so you know, you can test the same drop of blood 10 times and get a different number each time. So, don't put yourself through that. If a number has you concerned, wait about 15-20 minutes before testing again.
You can do this. It is a lifestyle change, but you will feel better once you make that change. Oh, also Vitamin D3 is also a great supplement for depression and lack of energy. I take 5000 iu daily and it has helped immensely.
We are all pulling for you to avoid becoming a full blown diabetic. You can avoid it. You have taken the first steps by being aware of your numbers.
Good Luck. Keep us posted!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Jaymil? How would it be if we were to merge this new thread of yours with the one you started last week? Content is so similar, it seems confusing to have two threads running for the same subject and the same member in the same forum section.
--------------------------------------------
Okay - the threads have been merged.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Below is a quote from the bloodsugar101 website:

What is a Normal Blood Sugar?

Normal Fasting Blood Sugar
A normal fasting blood sugar (which is also the blood sugar a normal person will see right before a meal) is:

83 mg/dl (4.6 mmol/L) or less.

Many normal people have fasting blood sugars in the mid and high 70 mg/dl (3.9 mmol/L) range.

Though most doctors will tell you any fasting blood sugar under 100 mg/dl (5.6 mmol/L) is "normal", there are several studies that suggest that testing with a fasting blood sugar in the mid 90 mg/dl (5 mmol/L) range often predicts diabetes that is diagnosed a decade later.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Whatever be the condition it is manageable and it can be successfully done.

But my first and most important advise is to visit your doctors and get your tests done (fasting, Oral Glucose Tolerance test (OGTT) and HbA1C). This is the only definitive way. Everything else is just guesswork !

Tony

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Hello! I was recently diagnosed as pre-diabetic, and felt the same frustrations with the meters! You need to test every half hour after eating so you know where your peaks are. If it's a sugary food, I'd test every 15 min for the first hour. If a starch like pasta, do the checks for 4 or 5 hours because they peak later! It's going to be different for you than for anyone else. Glad you're going to the doc!

I'm seeing only my general physician so far, no endo. I'm in Canada.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I only test at 2 hours and now that I am pretty much controlled I don't feel the need to test after every meal. I pretty much avoid the foods that spike me.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I do the same as jwags . . . I avoid the foods that spike me, so I don't test nearly as much as in the beginning. There have been times that foods I thought I could trust like high fiber wraps & thin buns had to be retested after months of safe usage, but especially since Optimist Crackers took center stage, even wraps & thin buns have been relegated to the wings, as it were! High fiber vegetables never disappoint my meter - so as long as I'm getting a little protein, a lot of fat, and the rest in veggies, I don't require so much testing.

If you were to ditch the rice (I know I know - sushi is my first love too), garlic bread, and all the other hard & fast-hitting carbs, you'd get where you want to go a lot faster.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts