The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

My name is Linda and I'm from Orlando, Florida. I was diagnosed as a type 2 diabetic last month and my life has been totally changed since then. I know I can blame it on my weight (I'm 5'8'' and over 450 lbs) and I can also attribute my sever sleep apnea to my size (I have to wear one of those ugly CPAP masks.)

Anyway, I guess I'm just here to seek out support and talk to anyone who can relate. Never thought I'd be in this position but I guess it's time to wake up and take notice that my body crying out for help!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Good for you in understanding your "wake-up" call. I would guess that you must be at least 300 pounds over where you should be, so that's where I would begin. Start losing weight by really controlling your carb intake.

Ask questions of this group as there is someone has already "been there, did it".

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Welcome to DF. When you have diabetes, losing weight is very important. There are lots of ways to lose weight, you need to find one that you can stick to. I chose a Low Carb diet mainly to lower my bgs but the nice thing I lost weight too. Are you able to exercise? Even a little walking will really help.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Good to meet you, Linda. Sorry you had to come looking for us, but sure glad you found us! ;)

I too, have to wear that lovely fashion accessory the CPAP mask, but mine has become my security blanket - I doubt I could fall asleep without it after all these years. But when I first went on it, I remember taking pictures so my wee grandson could get a sneak peak & not be afraid the first time he saw me wearing it . . . :rolleyes:

What many of us have discovered is if we adopt a lifestyle that controls our diabetes, it covers a few others things too - like weight loss, hypertension & our lipids profile. Cutting the carbs back will do wonders - we're living proof.

What diabetes meds has your doctor prescribed? Are you on meds for any other conditions? What is your usual way-of-eating?

Browse our boards & you may pick up some gold nuggets of information & if you have questions or comments, fire away.

Thank you for joining us & do visit often.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you, everyone! What a nice welcome!

Tim - yes, last I checked my BMI was right at 70 (eek!)

Shanny - my doctor has put me on Victoza - I've also been on beta blockers for about a year for my blood pressure.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To jwags - I can exercise a little bit but not for too long. Mobility is a bit of an issue for me, though not a major one. I can walk for about 5 minutes without having to rest but I'm clearly too big for most gym equipment. :(

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hi and :welcome: Linda!

This place has helped me a lot. And continues to do so! I don't always post as sometimes just reading from other members is helpful. It's a great place!

Credit Card Effect - I came up with this theory one time when I fell off the wagon big BIG time and felt I had too much to deal with at the same time, felt hopeless, and totally overwhelmed. Well it did help! So here is my little theory : Ever noticed how the little things add up on a credit card? You don't spend that much on every item you buy but at the end of the month, when you receive your monthly statement :eek:

Well you know, when it comes to diabetes, and your health, the same applies! You do little things. Sometimes you can't manage much but the tiniest will do. And just like a credit card, the little things you do for your health, and for yourself, sure enough, will add up. The best part is you won't go :eek: but you'll go :D instead.

When I feel low or fed up, or when I just feel depressed and don't want to make an effort... I think of the credit card effect. I tell myself : Little things! Little things! And it helps me get back on track.

Keep smiling!

Reactions: moon

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi Linda & welcome!

I've recently been diagnosed with diabetes as well and it was a big wake up call for me. Its really a blessing in disguise tho, i'm now very concious about what i'm eating, as I want to live a long and healthy life (i'm 28 - same as you). I'm doing the LCHF way of life and after I went through the initial carb withdrawls, I actually don't miss carbs now :)

Good luck and keep us updated on your progress!

·
Registered
206 Posts
I went through the initial carb withdrawls, I actually don't miss carbs now :)
At first I thought it was just an urban legend. How on earth can you go into carb withdrawal??! Pfft! Carbs aren't addictive. :rolleyes:

And it's true you don't miss carbs! You feel so good, you just don't want to go back :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts