The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
$29 billion reasons to lie about cholesterol...

Millions of people around the world are currently taking medications to lower their cholesterol. In England alone, around 7 million people are taking cholesterol-lowering statins in the hope of reducing their risk of a heart attack. But an increasing number of doctors and researchers are questioning the supposed link between cholesterol and heart disease.

At the same time, many people are concerned about the mass prescription of medications. In particular, prescribing medications to people who are, for the most part, perfectly healthy.

In this film we are going to ask if the facts about cholesterol and heart disease have been distorted by pharmaceutical companies keen to increase their profits, and if our health authorities are doing their job to protect us from these commercial interests.

29 billion dollars is a conservative estimate of the current value of the cholesterol-lowering industry.

29 billion pounds is what cardiovascular disease costs the UK economy each year.

If the focus on cholesterol has been a mistake, then the greatest cost is associated with the lost opportunity to tackle heart disease.

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
With chl being the only marker I got ......................... I assume chl is like testing your blood for an infection, only indicates you have problem doesn't tell you why.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I really wonder how many seniors are on cholesterol drugs and have side effects that are impacting their lives. I know when I had a bad reaction the symptoms were very similar to a lot of diseases you get as you ate- memory loss, loss of balance, muscle loss, leg and ankle swelling. If I wasn't as good at research as I was I would probably still be taking them and have a crippled body. As bad as the statin experience was we recently were working with our insurance company to see if we could lower our outrageous insurance premiums- $1200 per month. When the underwriting report came back I noticed one of my pre-exhisting conditions is now Statin Myopothy. So not only did it almost kill me it is now on my insurance records as a pre-exhisting conditions.

Reactions: skb and foxl

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Gosh Jeanne, if I'd found that on my policy, I might have ripped the agent's head off right then and there. Outrageous!

I sent this video to all our kids & I'm posting it everywhere I can think of.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Shanny I am 3 1/2 years away from Medicare and counting the days. Since we own our own business and we are both 61 we have the usual age related conditions. Although both of us exercisse , keep our HbA1c's in the 5's and try to keep our weight controlled we get no breaks. It makes me so mad whenever their is a discussion of insurance. Since the new health care bill passed our Insurance went up $400 per month. The only way we could lower it was to go to a $11,000 deductible. We had $6,000 before this which we never met so we figured why not go to the higher number and never meet it. At least now we are saving almost $700 per month. We just have to stay healthy because we can't afford to pay full price at the doctors. The government acts like if you have insurance you then can afford to go to the doctors or emergency room and have it paid for. Well that is not the whole story. We rarely go to doctors or ER because we have to meet that huge deductible before insurance pays a penny. I wonder how many other medical conditions drugs create and then we pay the price in higher medical insurance. My dad was on Prednisone for years for an autoimmune condition and now is diabetic from it. My mom has so many medical conditions and I am sure many are from drug interactions.

Reactions: Shanny

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
For myself, I refused to take cholesterol-lowering drugs even if my doctor says I should.
If ypu take some time and google a bit, there are tons of information why we should be sceptic to this drug.

Reactions: jwags

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I have learned so much the last 2 years on this forum. But when I started on the cholesterol drug, I was not a regular member and actually believed the medical spin I got from my doctor. I couldn't believe he would prescribe something with such devastating side effects. His attitude was the standard pitch, "All diabetics should be on a statin". I wonder how many others like me were clueless.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I have learned so much the last 2 years on this forum. But when I started on the cholesterol drug, I was not a regular member and actually believed the medical spin I got from my doctor. I couldn't believe he would prescribe something with such devastating side effects. His attitude was the standard pitch, "All diabetics should be on a statin". I wonder how many others like me were clueless.
I was! Totally clueless. But when I went for my 1-year assessment and asked doc if I could go off it, he hesitated while he checked my chart, but then he said okay . . . !

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I actually ASKED for it when I was being discharged from the hospital! The hospitalist wrote my first prescription for 40 mg simvastin.

Then I went to the #2 endo partner who did not like my lipid profile and uppped that to 80! And partner #3 never would lower it. So last summer I began cutting them in half. And Tuesday, he will write my testing prescription. :eek:hwell: And of course review my meds ...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts