The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Well, it depends on so many factors, and we're not "one size fits all"...

That being said, most of us on this forum have our best success with controlling diabetes by eating LOW carb and with high fat and moderate protein.

I'm a 46 year old male and I eat as much as 10% of my calories from carbohydrate, and about 50-60% from fat and 30-40% from protein, give-or-take. Most people don't need as much protein as I do, unless they're doing serious weight training.

For 2000 kcal a day I'd recommend about 10% carbohydrate (about 50g), 70% fat (about 150g) and 20% protein (about 100g) for men as a place to START. It may need tweaking from there.

Most of the medical community and our governments are still advocating "low-fat" and with 50% calories from carbs, but that's just not the correct way to eat, especially for diabetics.

A Type 2 diabetic that gets 50% of their calories from carbs will QUICKLY become an insulin-dependent and very obese diabetic. Not a healthy one.

Read Dr. Richard K. Bernstein's 'Diabetes Solution' (some of it is even online, free) and check out sites like Dr. Andreas Eenfeldt's site, and especially his info on LCHF/Low-Carb, High-Fat diet.

There's also great information at bloodsugar101, especially the write-up on 'How to lower your blood sugar'.

:welcome: to the forum, it's a great place for information!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Everyone's diet is going to be different. I eat around 1800-2000 calories most days and a majority of those calories are from fats. I try to keep the carbs below 30 a day. That is what works for me. You need to find the right diet that gives him normal bg levels after meals. For me that is 10-15 carbs, 15-20 grams of protein and 20 -25 grams of fat. But your husband may be different.

·
Inactive Member
5,318 Posts
I run at 30/40/30 in an 1800 calorie diet. That means I TRY to keep it at 30% fat and protein and 40% carbs. I keep the carbs higher since I try to eat about 45-50g of fiber.

This seems to work for me for both a good BG control and weight loss (20 lbs in 5 weeks so far).

Remember, each person needs to find their own "mix" and TEST, TEST, TEST! Only way to find out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts