The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
The biggest myth is that the doctor is always right and never question him or her. As diabetics we need to educate ourselves so we can challenge what our doctors say or don't say. They don't have any more answers than we do, sometimes. They are so use to seeing overweight diabetics that their first answer to everyone is Lose weight and your diabetes will improve. Although I was not really overweight I did lose those extra pounds and am back to my college weight. Guess what I am still diabetic and have to follow a very LCD to manage my bgs sucessfully. I really wish doctors would be honest up front with their diabetic patients right from the start.

Reactions: Shanny and foxl

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Another myth is that you didn't have any disease until your blood sugar goes out of normal range. Actually, the malady began typically quite a few years before that.

Unfortunately to date they don't test the things they would need to test to detect the problem in a more timely manner. When you hear things like "the average T2 at diagnosis has already lost 5% of his pancreatic function", you know something is seriously wrong with this picture!

Huh? My pancreas is not bad, your diagnosis is LATE!

Reactions: Shanny and foxl

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Salim did you mean 50%? That is the number I see most widely quoted ...

Speaking as a Smart-A LADA, of course! :p

·
Registered
633 Posts
foxl said:
Type 2s just need to lose weight and then they are cured.

Type 1s can eat whatever they want.

LADAs are know-it-alls.:D:D:D

For setting someone straight on the first two.
I am a type 1 and I do eat whatever I want. Type 1's don't have a metabolic problem just no insulin production.

Sent from my iPhone using Diabetes

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am a type 1 and I do eat whatever I want. Type 1's don't have a metabolic problem just no insulin production.

SOME Type 1s, but as we mature, most people need to control our weight, and that includes many Type 1's.

·
Registered
633 Posts
foxl said:
SOME Type 1s, but as we mature, most people need to control our weight, and that includes many Type 1's.
That just means you need to limit the quantity that you eat not what you eat.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
That just means you need to limit the quantity that you eat not what you eat.

I`m totally agree with this!
If I just absolutely want to eat something I know will make my BG go very high, I usually take just a piece of it, and balance it with insulin.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Salim did you mean 50%? That is the number I see most widely quoted ...

Speaking as a Smart-A LADA, of course! :p
Yes, I did mean 50%. What's this about smart-a LADAs? Is it a symptom. To be honest, I have noticed a few other times! :)

Reactions: foxl and Shanny

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh a woman posted on an autism group, in response to an article about antipschotics used in kids with autism (and I am sure it is b/c she has a T1D kid), that Type 2s can "just be cured by losing weight." I informed her this is not true, and the diabetes caused by using antipsychotics is permanent. She said I needed to educate myself, at which, I unleashed a piece of my mind on her. I explained I was a LADA and thus knew about Diabetes and its causes. And she told replied oh no wonder, a know-it-all LADA. I cracked up. But also said, yes I AM a know it all, or I would not have gotten a proper diagnosis.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Truth -
Some diabetics know more than their doctor :)
Umm, the thread was about myths. I think this belongs in the UNDERSTATEMENTS of the year!

Reactions: foxl
1 - 12 of 12 Posts