The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am averaging 80 to 100 oz of water/green tea per day!

No micro-albumin in my urine as of Jan 12th. FBG less than 100.

I never used to drink this much - would feel positively water-logged if I drank 64oz. Today I'm at 100oz at 7:30pm.

What gives? Where's the line between healthy & dangerous?

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
How are your post-prandial BGs going throughout the day? If you're spiking during the day, that could be your culprit.

An unseasonable hot spell or increased physical activity could be factors as well, but I'd ask my doc. (I was diagnosed during just such a hot spell.)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Is drinking 3 litres of water dangerous? I woulnt remmonend drinking it in a very short period but through out the day no problem. Pending on heat/humidity activity level its well within a normal very safe level. I have read of someone dying drinking like 7.5 lites in 30mins in a radio compertition. Who can drink the most water :eek: (set time) . I often drink 2-3 Lites a day and more if I add extra excerise than normal (& have done for years). It's summer here atm so easy done. I find a little harder in winter but I aim for me a minimum of 2L a day. Under normal circumstances, accidentally consuming too much water is exceptionally rare (more like water drinking comps as above or I suppose an endurance athlete could take on too much fluid over to short a period). Its more the time period - sounds like your drinking upto 3L spread out througout the day?

My BG's are well controlled so that has not impact on my water consumption.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This evening I noticed I wasn't as interested in plain old water.

Maybe the cause of this is my new favorite drink:

50/50 cold brewed green tea/Yerba mate
Generous squeeze of lemon
Couple of mint leaves

Something about this drink mellows me out. It's not a caffine buzz...kind of the opposite, actually.

Good to know I'm not drowning myself. I'm ending the day @ 115oz...definitely not thirsty!

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Oh, that sounds dee-lish. Bottoms up!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Cold green tea is my fad right now . . . I add a coupla bags to a quart of water before bedtime & by morning it's nicely brewed & chilled. Since my quart carafe is insulated, it stays cool without the addition of ice. I may have to research this Yerba maté!

·
Registered
782 Posts
Mate! When Kid 2 came back from her year in Argentina, she introduced us to it, but I've only had it hot. I actually have yerba mate, a mate (gourd), and bombilla at work. Even though mate is supposed to be "generally recognized as safe" by the FDA, I keep waiting to get in trouble. It looks so suspicious, and mate makes me giggle! :p

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Mate means "spit" in Swahili (my second language). Kinda hard to get past.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
A woman died while participating in a contest to see who could drink the most water before having to go to the bathroom, in order to win a Wii. (get it)

Pretty sad. But that's a pretty extreme circumstance. I don't think anyone drinking at a regular rate could hurt themselves.

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
My guv'ner gets upset with me if I drink LESS than 4 litres each day. Yes, if you really work at it, water is a poison - but 4 or 5 litres over the day - and visits to the smallest room as necessary - no problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts