The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,571 Posts
This is actually a tougher question than I initially thought, I was trying to think of changes I've had to make because of it. The changes I've made because of being Type 2 have actually improved my overall health. I don't really like having to check my BG, but I know the consequences if I let it get out of control.

I don't like it that a lot of medical/nutritional advice has been "one size fits all" and that we are on our own to educate ourselves and figure things out.
I don't like it that most initial treatment is throwing drugs at it.
I don't like it that most research is done as the premise of developing another new drug.

Some of this is changing for the better, but it is way too slow. I think a key thing is in more time spent educating the caregivers and ourselves. This disease does not have to have a progressively worsening ending.

·
Administrator
2,669 Posts
This disease does not have to have a progressively worsening ending.
Amen to that! I look at some of my friends who are/were diabetic and how they fared over time. I'll grant that my friend Hank was not the most compliant soul (he thought having a Diet Coke at a meal would erase most sugary sins). But the American standard of treatment seems to be to throw drugs at diabetics as the condition progresses. I saw that more than once, which fueled my determination to try low-carb first.

What I dislike:
  • I guess #1 has to be having to buck the system to do it my way. I know "do your own research" is a phrase that has been co-opted into insignificance, but I did, several years ago, could show my doctor the studies, and still had to fend off an immediate prescription for Metformin and, later, had to talk my doctor into referring me for a cholesterol particle test. My doctor pretty much leaves me alone now because I brought the receipts and I have the results. But challenging protocol is a pain.
  • #2. Being told that almost any medical condition I have is somehow tied to my metabolism. Floaters in my eye? "Well, you're diabetic." I was once told that the problem I was having with my knee was that I was overweight which was because I was diabetic. (I don't see that doctor any more.)
  • #3. This ties more to eating keto/low-carb, but having to scout menus ahead of time to figure out if there's something I can eat. I've taken to almost always bringing something keto-friendly to family gatherings because people don't get it. "It's okay for you, I made it with whole grains." Or restaurants where pretty much every entree except the side salad is batter-fried or infected with potatoes or a sweet sauce or such. I eat a lot of salads and chicken wings when I'm out of the house because they can't cause too much damage if I avoid the croutons or the barbecue sauce.

·
Administrator
2,669 Posts
I had someone yesterday tell me that they brought grapes for me.
This one! People seem to be totally unaware that fruit and honey and agave syrup and such all have sugar in them. It may be a higher quality of sugar than high-fructose corn syrup or beet sugar. But once it's past our stomachs, sugar is sugar. Nutrition education really is lacking.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Neuropathy in both feet from the ankles down. Still have good color (and hair) on both, which I’m told means the blood is circulating as it should. It just means I never walk barefooted, even in the house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Neuropathy in both feet from the ankles down. Still have good color (and hair) on both, which I’m told means the blood is circulating as it should. It just means I never walk barefooted, even in the house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes I have it too and on me it feels like permanently cold or numb feet.

My son brought me a machine that is like a super powerful tens machine. In my country it is called a revitive machine sold by Homemedics I think. You sit in a chair with it under your feet for 30 minutes each day and it improves the circulation particularly when you crank it up. I used to have numbness in my feet through to mid calf. After 6 months I now have it in my feet only and probably on about 2/3rds of the feet. Its not a cure but may help, I still use a hottie to warm my feet on all but the hottest days and I am still picking up the odd burn from the hottie when I am not paying close enough attention but it has definitely helped.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yes I have it too and on me it feels like permanently cold or numb feet.

My son brought me a machine that is like a super powerful tens machine. In my country it is called a revitive machine sold by Homemedics I think. You sit in a chair with it under your feet for 30 minutes each day and it improves the circulation particularly when you crank it up. I used to have numbness in my feet through to mid calf. After 6 months I now have it in my feet only and probably on about 2/3rds of the feet. Its not a cure but may help, I still use a hottie to warm my feet on all but the hottest days and I am still picking up the odd burn from the hottie when I am not paying close enough attention but it has definitely helped.
Oh dear, I have just read where you said you sometimes get a burn from the 'hottie'.
I gave up using 'hotties' ages ago and made my own rice heat bags and never get burned feet.
All I did was make a bag the same size at the hot water bottle bag and fill it with rice and sew it up and when I use it, I put it into the microwave oven for 3 minutes and that is quite hot enough for me and I have no fear of getting burnt.
Plus, the heat bags never spring a leak.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Oh dear, I have just read where you said you sometimes get a burn from the 'hottie'.
I gave up using 'hotties' ages ago and made my own rice heat bags and never get burned feet.
All I did was make a bag the same size at the hot water bottle bag and fill it with rice and sew it up and when I use it, I put it into the microwave oven for 3 minutes and that is quite hot enough for me and I have no fear of getting burnt.
Good idea, I hadnt thought of that!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts