The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wow, seems weird to type that.

it was April 3rd, 2009 that i had my last candy, Reeses PB Cups and freshly made fudge.

doesnt seem that long ago, but sometimes it does.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
wow, seems weird to type that.

it was April 3rd, 2009 that i had my last candy, Reeses PB Cups and freshly made fudge.

doesnt seem that long ago, but sometimes it does.
Wow... always impressed with your commitment, Eric.

There's a chocolate place in a nearby mall that has some sugar-free peanut butter cups and occasionally I get one of those (even though I'm not convinced that sugar alcohols are any better than sugar), but I use a hot-knife to split it into four pieces and it lasts me four snacks over a week or so...

·
Registered
34 Posts
I wish I had that kind of willpower. I was diagnosed 8 months ago, and find myself cheating now, after doing so good for so long. I have to get back on track, so today is a good day to start! All of you who post your struggles, temptations, and victories inspire me to keep up the fight. Thank you!!

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Interesting -- I eat homemade erythritol fudge, all the time!

But, for me your post triggered a memory from the late 60's of my mother who was mildly (by today's standards!) obese, being handed a piece of candy by her internist and told, "This is the last piece you will ever eat -- you are a diabetic." She came home freaked out, and crying.

It was a scare tactic -- she was never told she was diabetic again, and in fact, she was put on insulin in her 80's after a surgical procedure, and we were told explicitly she was NOT Diabetic.

Now remind me again .... where did the stigma of Type 2 come from ???? :confused::mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
261 Posts
What's erythritol fudge ?

Interesting -- I eat homemade erythritol fudge, all the time!

But, for me your post triggered a memory from the late 60's of my mother who was mildly (by today's standards!), being handed a piece of candy by her internist and told, "This is the last piece you will ever eat -- you are diabetic." She came home freaked out, and crying.

It was a scare tactic -- she was never told she was diabetic again, and in fact, she was put on insulin in her 80's after a surgical procedure, and we were told explicitly she was NOT Diabetic.

Now remind me again .... where did the stigma of Type 2 come from ???? :confused::mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Hee hee -- a fast and dirty recipe I make:

1/2 oz chocolate
1 - 2 TBS virgin coconut oil
1/2 TBS butter
1 packet Truvia or 2 tsp erythritol

microwave 40 - 60 seconds, stir till the chocolate melts ... stick in freeezer till solid, stirring occasionally till solid (or not, if you are busy), eat with the spoon!

Chocolate has meritorious antioxidants, we are told ... and coconut oil has medium-chain triglycerides. AND of course, it hits the spot!

·
Registered
261 Posts
sounds yummy! I'll have to try it, thanks

1/2 oz chocolate
1/2 TBS butter

microwave 40 - 60 seconds, stir till the chocolate melts ... stick in freeezer till solid, stirring occasionally till solid (or not, if you are busy), eat with the spoon!

Chocolate has meritorious antioxidants, we are told ... and coconut oil has medium-chain triglycerides. AND of course, it hits the spot!

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I also have made it with vanilla splenda syrup -- but maybe too much of it -- it was sweet and then the OD aftertaste!

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
foxl - what kind of chocolate works best for your fudge recipe.....milk, semi sweet or unsweetened? I haven't had fudge in a long time. Would love to try making some.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
foxl - what kind of chocolate works best for your fudge recipe.....milk, semi sweet or unsweetened? I haven't had fudge in a long time. Would love to try making some.
Only the UNsweetened baker's chocolate. the cheap kraft stuff in the orange box.

Should have specified, sorry -- I forgot about those other kinds, ages ago!

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Thanks for your hint and for the recipe. Years ago my Grandma used to make fudge in a frying pan on top of her electric stove, pour it out of the pan onto a buttered platter and then let it harden in the freezer for a little while. All of us grandkids could hardly wait for it to get hard.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
My Dad (who rarely cooked anything else), made fudge once a week, when I was a kid!

2 c milk, 4 squares chocolate, 1 c sugar, 1 stick butter, dash salt, tsp vanilla.

For some reason, perhaps the sugar (he always thought), he had trouble getting it to set, in later years, like the late 1970's. But boy it was good. HIS father had made it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
foxl said:

1/2 oz chocolate
1/2 TBS butter

Maybe because I'm in the throws of a 4 hr glucose test but that sounds DELICIOUS

1 - 16 of 16 Posts