The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mother just came back from her pcp very upset because her doctor told her she was a borderline diabetic because her a1c level was 6.5% and blood glucose was 109 fasting. The doctor gave her a blood glucose meter with strips and a number to call for classes on diabetes. She has no other medical problems except that she is about 30lb's overweight. I think the doctor went a little overboard. What do you think? should she be worried. Thanks for any help.rjbeck

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello, welcome to Diabetes Forum! An A1c of 6.5 would be a very high blood sugar average, for a nondiabetic. I think the doctor did the right thing. If your mother was a nondiabetic then her A1c would be less than 6.0. I hope she will test at home and keep a record of her fasting numbers, and her numbers two hours after eating. If her doctor does some more testing, and she is definitely a diabetic, then her type can be determined. She may be a prediabetic at this stage. You can give her advice on how she should be eating and exercising, in the meantime. Good luck to both of you!

Richard

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I agree with Richard. And it is much better to start controlling it now rather then letting it get so bad she loses some of her natural body function like permenant kidney or eye damage. Best of luck.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Welcome, rjbeck . . . thank you for posting on your mother's behalf.

I am joining the chorus that her doctor acted properly in getting her started testing, and paying attention to her bg levels. Her A1c shows that she is having many higher levels than just a fasting of 109 . . . an A1c of 6.5 converts to an average blood sugar of 130 over three months' time.

Being overweight may be causing some insulin resistance, or there may be other factors involved, but in any case, she should test as the doctor has instructed, and she should keep a log of her readings.

This is not something you want to ignore - the complications are too severe to let it slide. She's a healthy woman with many years left to live, and it can't hurt to keep an eye on this, just in case.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help...

I really appreciate every one's help and will continue with the doctors recommendations. I really thought the doctor was going overboard but I see he was just being very proactive. I will post what happens over the next couple of months. Thanks again Randy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts