The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I try to drink a coupla quarts of FLUID every day - water, coffee, tea, Mi0, whatever. Even tho' they're fluids, I don't count almond milk or our s/f popcicles, & I don 't count things like gravies or sauces either, despite them being merely thickened fluids.

I'm taking a new med that causes cotton-mouth, so I'm a little more successful lately at meeting my 2 qt. goal.

·
Registered
930 Posts
just my opinion:

If your urine is light yellow you are fine, but if it is darker yellow then you need to drink more water. Also if you are sweating it might be best to drink extra water.

With all the pills I take, I think I drink enough water. :D

Reactions: moon and foxl

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I never drink 8 glasses of water a day, but I do drink other fluids like iced tea, coffee and eat vegetables that contain water. I have always read that the 64 oz included all foods and drinks. If I drank 8 glasses a day, I think I would live in the bathroom.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
I have a very hard time trying to get in 8 glasses of water per day and any water I do drink must be very cold or I just can tolerate it. I also don't like carbonated waters so my choices are rather limited. (Like they weren't already!) I know I'm probably dehydrated most of the time since, as ColaJim pointed out, my urine is darker than normal but I just can't drink something when I don't ever feel thirsty.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I've never been a big water drinker. My liquids come from water, coffee, iced tea and that consumed in my food. I suggest that the
8X8 has been promoted by the bottled water folks.

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
I know I'm probably dehydrated most of the time since, as ColaJim pointed out, my urine is darker than normal but I just can't drink something when I don't ever feel thirsty.
Long ago, pre diabetes, I got into the habit of drinking water in the car all the time, and I was a lot in my non A/C car. The more I drank, the thirstier I got. When your body expects to get fluids it lets them go, creating more thirst. Wonder if you tried to drink enough fluids for a couple of weeks so that your urine was pale - then see if it changes your thirst?

If you have trouble drinking enough, I can recommend moving to a warmer climate and getting into a closed-up car with no A/C - you'll reach for that water in a hurry!

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Long ago, pre diabetes, I got into the habit of drinking water in the car all the time, and I was a lot in my non A/C car. The more I drank, the thirstier I got. When your body expects to get fluids it lets them go, creating more thirst. Wonder if you tried to drink enough fluids for a couple of weeks so that your urine was pale - then see if it changes your thirst?

If you have trouble drinking enough, I can recommend moving to a warmer climate and getting into a closed-up car with no A/C - you'll reach for that water in a hurry!
Haha, Moon! I flew home to Ottawa last summer to visit my family that I hadn't seen in 10 years since moving to Sweden. The entire time we were there, the temperature was no lower than 35 Celsius (95 Fahrenheit). Even then, I had no desire to drink anything nor do I when we go to our house in Torrevieja, Spain for the winter. I just finished a 4 km walk 10 minutes ago and didn't drink anything on the walk and I don't feel thirsty now. I drink water now only because I know I need to drink more. I force myself to drink 2 litres (8 glasses) per day but most days I don't quite get to that amount.

I used to be like you and, in Ottawa, would drink at least 4 litres of Coke while in my car every day. I worked out of my car in those days.

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
I force myself to drink 2 litres (8 glasses) per day but most days I don't quite get to that amount.
Then you're in good shape (except for the hating-to-drink it part.) I'll stop worrying about you now :)

·
Registered
741 Posts
I do try and drink 2 litres of mineral water a day...I was always of the opinion you'd flush out all the electrolytes if you drank that much water...I find water very heavy....might be because I drink coffee and that makes me fly lol and um more than likely dehydrates me

·
Registered
78 Posts
Too much water (hyper-hydration, water intoxication) can cause significant problems, including death. you need to drink a lot more than 2 liters of water/day for that to happen though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.