The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They suggest strongly that people don't have to lose muscle mass and function as they grow older.
The changes that we've assumed were due to aging and therefore were unstoppable seem actually to be caused by inactivity.
And that can be changed.
I normally don't take Dr. Mercola's articles very seriously. In fact, I take his articles with a big pinch of salt. :D

But this article is good. Read on, and let it motivate you to exercise regularly.

Regards,
Rad

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Years ago we knew a fellow at church who was in his 80s already, although he looked younger. He was a smart man, and had worked hard his whole life - perhaps a farmer - I can't remember. At one church gathering I remember a few of the guys were cutting up & perhaps he delivered a zinger or whatever, but at any rate, I was standing beside him & reached over to touch his arm and that bicep was hard as a rock. Just like a BRICK! So no, it isn't the aging that causes deterioration - I don't make a practice of going around examining old men's biceps, but I reckon Cy wasn't the only elderly one walking around in such good shape. My old woodchopper is in good shape, but he doesn't have biceps like THAT! ;)

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Shanny said:
Years ago we knew a fellow at church who was in his 80s already, although he looked younger. He was a smart man, and had worked hard his whole life - perhaps a farmer - I can't remember. At one church gathering I remember a few of the guys were cutting up & perhaps he delivered a zinger or whatever, but at any rate, I was standing beside him & reached over to touch his arm and that bicep was hard as a rock. Just like a BRICK! So no, it isn't the aging that causes deterioration - I don't make a practice of going around examining old men's biceps, but I reckon Cy wasn't the only elderly one walking around in such good shape. My old woodchopper is in good shape, but he doesn't have biceps like THAT! ;)
You have been checking out a lot of biceps granny ! ;)

·
Registered
335 Posts
I like to hope that my partner has biceps at 80 like a 40 year old...cos they sure are good at the moment :). It must be due to a life time of physical activity and good health (genes also)...

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
I have heard that more seniors are starting to use the type of exercise that Fred Hahn, Drs Eads and Dr. Doug McGuff are recommending. It's a 20 minute slow rep / high weight session once a week. It's supposed to be easier on the joints and is the most effective way to preserve and build lean body mass (muscle and bone).

I just started a similar routine myself, I'll let you know in 50 years if I still feel like I'm 40. :D

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I think many people are afraid of exercise as they age. I play in several tennis leauges and many of my friends are in the 70's and 80's and haven't slowed down a bit. They are very competive and can run for 2 hours without any problems. I do think sometimes it is Mind over Matter. I also used to do a Power lifting class called Body Pump at the gym. Many of the participants were in their 70's and up. They were able to keep up with the rest of us. I do think as we age we actually need more exercise to keep muslce tone. The other thing I think is as we age many of our doctors put us on statins and other meds that may cause muscle wasting, so people need to be aware of this. I have found certain supplements like CoQ10 help me rebuild some muscle loss from statins.

Reactions: lia and Rad Warrier
1 - 6 of 6 Posts