The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you ever made Sausage Cheese balls? I get tired of eggs and bacon for b'fast and back in the day I made them for parties. The other day a light went on in my head and I thought why could I not make them for b'fast option. I dug out my old recipe and substituted almond flour for the flour in them. If anyone needs a recipe I'll gladly post it. I do make them with Jimmy Dean's hot sausage and sharp grated cheddar. I do find you need to use less almond flour than it called for using flour. I also patted the balls down looking more like a large cookie than a ball.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I 'vote' for you to post your recipe, it sounds delicious. I also get weary of eggs and bacon in spite of the fact I love them. Something different is "right down my alley." :)

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
These were the rage 40 years ago or so...

I/2 c. almond flour
2 eggs
1/2 tube hot Jimmy Dean sausage
1 c. shredded sharp cheddar

Mix all together like making meatloaf and make into balls and flatten them out into patties. I get about 8-10. Bake at 350F until brown as you like (I found 20-25 minutes). ENJOY

You can add flavors like onion or whatever you would like. I make them plain myself. Store in fridge. I doubled the recipe so I could use all the sausage. They also freeze fine.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
This keeps calling to me . . . I'm just wondering if there's some kind of gravy that would go well with it? I guess plain ol' sausage gravy wouldn't be amiss, especially if there's extra sausage left over from making the cheese balls. I have company coming next weekend & I think I'll try this. Thanks, Pat!

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's an idea for sure. I'll give it a try soon myself. Since they were originally balls that you used toothpicks to pick them up I never thought of that. And of course you could use any kind of sausage, not necessarily Jimmy Dean, this could be adapted to in all sorts of ways. Please post any tweaks you use on it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts