The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been poking around the forums and I have a few questions.

Is there a sticky somewhere to tell me what all of the acronyms mean? I know the basic stuff (like lol, dh/ds/dd, fwiw) because I've been on many forums for years, but I'm thinking of the acronyms that are specific to this forum. I am assuming bg stands for blood glucose?

What is basal testing?

What is bolid?

What is a liver dump?

Is there a new numbering system for monitoring blood glucose levels? I noticed that some people are using numbers under 10. Or is that how countries other than US measure?

Why would eating protein cause someone's blood glucose to spike? I thought protein helped to keep blood glucose more stable. When I had gestational diabetes if I ate a bowl of cereal and an egg or chicken for breakfast, my numbers would be just fine. If I ate that same bowl of cereal without the egg or chicken, the numbers would be much higher. I do understand that everyone is different, I am just trying to understand this.

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi:

You are correct: Many countries use a different measuring system than the US does.

Up here in Canada our sugars are measured using mmol/L where in the US you measure in mg/dL. That is why you see the numbers you do.

For example: My fasting BS this am was 6.0 mmol/L which (IIRC) is roughly equivalent to ~107 mg/dl.

regards

ND

I've been poking around the forums and I have a few questions...

Is there a new numbering system for monitoring blood glucose levels? I noticed that some people are using numbers under 10. Or is that how countries other than US measure?

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
As I understand it all food gets converted to BG. Protein and fat do it slowly many of us T2s can handle it without spiking. fat and protein also slows the digestive proses down helping to lower the carb spike. so our pancreas can keep up with small changes. some a T1s bolus for ALL foods because they make no insulin and need to cover all the calories they eat.

That is the understanding I have

However I need basil insulin so I would think I should need to cover protein, but not that I can measure with my meter. So I dont understand it all too.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
As I understand it all food gets converted to BG....
Actually, although protein can be converted to glucose (through a process called gluconeogenesis), FAT does not get converted to glucose. Fat, (usually trigycerides are burned) whether stored or in the bloodstream, is broken down through a complicated process into ATP (Adenosine Triphospate) which is the actual fuel the body uses at a cellular level. (Glucose is also broken down into ATP for fuel).

Interestingly, a glucose molecule breaks down into 38 ATP molecules (approximately two are left over for an energy source), however a single triglyceride breaks down into over 400 ATP molecules (of which 11 remain for energy). This is why fat is a better energy source, although the conversion process to ATP is more complicated...

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Actually, although protein can be converted to glucose (through a process called gluconeogenesis), FAT does not get converted to glucose. Fat, (usually trigycerides are burned) whether stored or in the bloodstream, is broken down through a complicated process into ATP (Adenosine Triphospate) which is the actual fuel the body uses at a cellular level. (Glucose is also broken down into ATP for fuel).

Interestingly, a glucose molecule breaks down into 38 ATP molecules (approximately two are left over for an energy source), however a single triglyceride breaks down into over 400 ATP molecules (of which 11 remain for energy). This is why fat is a better energy source, although the conversion process to ATP is more complicated...
Thanks for the correct info

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts