The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a different qestion that came up at work 1 day. I have type 1 diabetes and my colleague has type 2. We were discussing which is easier to manage. I believe type 1 is because you are able to adjust both insulin and food based on what you are doing, whether it's going out for a meal or participatng in sport. My colleague thinks type 2 because he can adjust what he eats. Any feedback from you guys would be really ineresting!

O

·
0 Posts
well I'm type 2 and now on insulin. I think it depends on the individual and how they function really. I've been in a situation where my BGLs were not under control at all and I was being trialled on all sorts of medications. I would think that both conditions are just as hard to manage as the other. With me I have a couple of other health conditions thrown in so that's why I say it's really an individual thing. There's so many factors that impact on us and we're all different in what we can and can't tolerate. I can say that I feel insulin has helped me to get better control though :D But that is simply because oral meds weren't right for me anymore. From that angle, I'm thinking type 2 can be quite unpredictable as it progresses... depending on circumstances.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Well I have both -- or is it, neither? I have both antibodies and insulin resistance.

It is like being between a rock and a hard place. Or so I thought ... I am on a FB group now with LADAs, and they certainly exhibit some extreme numbers! :-O

And some of them should be able to control it better, but others ... simply are unpredictable.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I think any type of diabetes has challenges. It's all a balancing act, whether you use diet and exercise, orals meds, insulin or a combination thereof. The human body is truly a miraculous and finely tuned mechanism and any time you try to replace the original function with an external control program you are destined for some amount of disappointment. After-market solutions just don't work as well.

On a side note - your T2 friend can eat anything he wants??? Wonder how that's working for him, blood sugar-wise.

Jen

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
I am much like Linda, I have T1 but I also have insulin resistance, which is the defining characteristic of T2. A T1 with insulin resistance is called a double diabetic and has to take a type 2 med as well as insulin. So do I have the worst of both worlds? I actually have very good control and good health. It is a challenge, but life can be very good with diabetes!

·
Registered
633 Posts
I would have to say that from veiw point that your co-worker is right. Type 2 would be easier. Now before you all blow up and send nasty messages alow me to explain my veiw point. I feel that way because I have 4 autoimmune diseases and am prescribed 6 hormon replacements to try to ballance the things out. The bad part about them is that each one of them while working on what it is supposed to work on also has an effect on one or several of the other diseases so there is always something out of whack and medications are always needing to be changed to offset them. I know this was not asked but if I could trade all of my autoimmune diseases for type 2 diabetes in a heart beat.

O

·
0 Posts
I would have to say that from veiw point that your co-worker is right. Type 2 would be easier. Now before you all blow up and send nasty messages alow me to explain my veiw point. I feel that way because I have 4 autoimmune diseases and am prescribed 6 hormon replacements to try to ballance the things out. The bad part about them is that each one of them while working on what it is supposed to work on also has an effect on one or several of the other diseases so there is always something out of whack and medications are always needing to be changed to offset them. I know this was not asked but if I could trade all of my autoimmune diseases for type 2 diabetes in a heart beat.
I hear ya Adjitator and that's why I commented earlier that it is a very much an individual thing. I'm type 2 with a couple of other chronic illnesses. My pancreas still produces some insulin too, although my digestive system doesn't work as well. I think both are just as hard to manage depending on circumstances. But you sound like you have your hands full there... it's tricky managing diabetes when you have other stuff going on. :D

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I agree, type II is (in my opinion, based on my case) easier to manage.

Even with my dawn phenomenon, insulin-resistance, constant liver dumps, etc., it seems that the combination of Metformin, a proper low-carb diet and daily intense exercise has made it pretty easy to control.

I don't have to do any calculations regarding insulin, I don't have any worries about going hypo, and I can quickly counter any high BG reading by hopping on my bike for 8 minutes...

... seems pretty easy to me. Compared to Type I. Then again, I guess "what we're used to" can always seem easy...

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Personally, I'd prefer "None of the Above." :)

Diabetes is sooooooo not me! Maybe I could turn it in for a case of athlete's foot or something? :D

O

·
0 Posts
Personally, I'd prefer "None of the Above." :)

Diabetes is sooooooo not me! Maybe I could turn it in for a case of athlete's foot or something? :D
hehe... yeah I'd love to be completely disease free too and that would make me feel like a new person I reckon. :D
@ Beefy... yeah I agree Type 2 may be easier to manage when you have no other issues going on... and on the oral meds only. My situation isn't easy that's for sure and I'm on insulin and not oral meds... so technically I guess I have same scenario almost as a type 1. But at least with type 1 you know you have no insulin whatsoever... with me I've got some, but I have no idea how much... it gets a bit tricky that way. I'm sure type 1.5 is probably a similar experience.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the replies. I always find it amazing how views can be so different. Life would be dull if we were all the same. I strongly believe and it sounds like most of you do too, if under control diabetes is not the end of the world and there are far worse conditions to have. I too would trade it in for a bit of athletes foot. Don't think my wife would agree!!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Well Simon, since your question has been answered to your satisfaction, I'm going to close this thread. I've seen too many diabetes forums turned into a battlefield over who's the worst off, and I'm going to state here once and for all: There's no competition - it isn't a contest! We've all been afflicted with this metabolic or autoimmune disorder and we all want to be as healthy as we can & live as normal lives as possible.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.