The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had a really good one in Canada, but in the LA area now. I've tried 2 brands around here, one called Blue Ribbon (it has nothing to do with the tea company Blue Ribbon btw) and the Safeway store brand. Both stores I've been to only have one brand of brown rice since it is so much less popular than white or instant. Both were loaded with grains that still had the hull on, lots that were black at one end, etc.

I find that unpleasant in cooked rice so I've been taking the time to sort them first but is that ever slow.

Amazon sells a 50 pound bag at reasonable rates. If anyone has tried it and the quality is decent that way, I could get that. Since it is such a large amount I'd want to know first. It only has 2 reviews so far and that part hasn't been mentioned.

Has anyone here tried it and has a comment? Or about any other brand that you can order online? I did go to the site of the company that supplies Amazon's and emailed my question from there, but that might take awhile, if I even get an answer. I'd sooner order 20 or 40 pounds at a time.

I can't personally get to a Trader Joe's but someone said she can pick stuff up there for me. Don't know if they even sell it, and their site doesn't have much product info at all, but if they do have some that option might work. Let me know the brand if possible.

I'm actually in a rural area near LA. It takes just over an hour to get to Santa Monica by bus, and then about another 2 hours to get to the nearest Trader Joes. So I haven't been able to get to a lot of grocery stores.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I used to eat a lot of brown rice before diabetes. Unfortuneately I have had to give it up because it is way too many carbs. I use to buy the big bag at Costco.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Costco was mentioned in one of the comments in the Amazon reviews. Did you notice how clean it was for seeds with the hulls still on them, grains that are half black, etc?

Maybe it's something most people don't even pay attention to. I have bought 40 pound bags of Rooster brand white rice from Thailand and not had a single grain that was partly black or still had the hull on it. That was years ago.

Rice is still a staple for me. I just don't eat a lot at a time, and nearly always with beans. Have also switched from white to brown. At least for the non diabetic part, that seems a lot healthier.

·
Registered
718 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I get ours from a local farm, but it's pretty expensive. It's the best brown rice I've ever had. Martin Rice - Martin Rice Company - wholesale and retail suppliers of rice
Thanks for the reply. I wasn't at all optimistic about a brown rice thread here. That sounded really good so I went to the site and put in an order. When I got to the page with the shipping charges I backed out and abandoned it.

24 pounds of rice (12 bags at 2 lb each) were reasonable, but the shipping charges were more than the rice. (Shipping $27.43) Amazon ships for less than $5.

but if desperate, I still might try it.

best wishes, and thanks again

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I wasn't at all optimistic about a brown rice thread here.
I can understand your concern Lia . . . many of us here dearly love brown rice, and have had to elimininate it from our regular meals. Unless we can cover it with insulin as you do, it's off limits for most non-insulin-dependent PWDs. I have a 10# bag in the freezer from before my diagnosis, and it's looking for a good home - you want it? :(

·
Registered
718 Posts
LOL, yes, I had the same problem. We can buy it locally, but I wondered, since the company was local, if I could order in bulk. They said yes, but I would still have to pay shipping charges which were outrageous. I thought they could just drop it off at the store when they dropped off the store's shipment.

It's $3.99 in the store, and I'm pretty sure it wouldn't cost more than a couple bucks to ship 2lbs....but you're still looking at $7-8 for one bag... unless you loaded up a priority box.... could probably fit 5-6 bags in the $9 priority box.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can understand your concern Lia . . . many of us here dearly love brown rice, and have had to elimininate it from our regular meals. Unless we can cover it with insulin as you do, it's off limits for most non-insulin-dependent PWDs.
Well, you're all way ahead of me. I just switched over to brown within about the last year. Also, I expect that it does put my postprandial bg too high, but I don't check to find out.

I know someone who doesn't like dogs. He has made a few jokes and really interesting comments about them. Someone showed him the results of a survey that indicated people with pets live longer. He said something like "that would be worth it. Have a shorter life but enjoy it more." Personally I had a really good laugh about that. He has made a lot of comments about the value of life.

But it is really clear to me that I don't enjoy meat. It is unpleasant. Also I tried out the high fats approach like you seem to be doing, and at least for me, that was a disaster. (bordering on tragedy) I might have this all wrong. Just assumptions from things you have posted. (feel completely free to sort me out about all that)

But also my accepting high bg after the meals is not much of an alternative. Tragedy lurking there too.

I have a 10# bag in the freezer from before my diagnosis, and it's looking for a good home - you want it? :(
Free rice, how could you beat that? If you have a Paypal account that can receive money, I'd be happy to pay for shipping, and for the rice too. Or some other way than paypal is fine too. I do understand that your sherry supply probably doesn't have the same problem, but happy to help out if it does :)

Will pm the address, please pm back any complications or changes etc.

I thought they could just drop it off at the store when they dropped off the store's shipment.

It's $3.99 in the store, and I'm pretty sure it wouldn't cost more than a couple bucks to ship 2lbs....but you're still looking at $7-8 for one bag... unless you loaded up a priority box.... could probably fit 5-6 bags in the $9 priority box.
I did have a small alfalfa sprout business, and personally I would have been happy to do something like that for a customer. It actually made big bucks for a couple of years. But it's not the normal business model.

Aside from the shipping charges, they want $2.50 for a 2 lb pack online. Your store probably gets it for less than that, and free delivery too. Just an assumption.

The priority box was not an option for shipping. There were no options (sigh).

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The brown rice news

There's probably only about 3 of us interested, but thought I'd just post the latest developments.

Someone I work with shops at Costco and picked up a 10 lb bag for me, for 4.49 or something like that. I just had the first meal with it and it is good quality. I had finally found some decent stuff just about a half hour bus ride away but I was paying more than that for 2 lbs.

So if that rice isn't sent yet Shanny, don't worry about it. The post office would probably want more than that. I now have a regular supplier.

Even if it's a small story, I always appreciate it when it has a rice ending, or a nice ending :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts