The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When Googling recipes or shopping for cookbooks, I use search terms like "low-carb," "paleo" or "primal" -- but not "diabetic."

So many so-called "diabetic" recipes will spike ya just from reading 'em!

Don't know if somebody's posted this before, but even though this cookbook's got "diabetic" right in the title ... it looks pretty darn good!

Plus, it's public domain, so it's online, and it's free:

DIABETIC COOKERY: Recipes and Menus

State-of-the-art recipes and guidelines for the 2nd decade of the century. The 20th Century, that is. Published in 1917.

Most, if not all, of the archaic ingredients are now known by different names, or can be faked.

·
Registered
718 Posts
That is an AMAZING find!!

They even use almond flour... they really knew their stuff back then :)

Thanks for sharing!

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
What fun to look through! This is awesome.

And yeah, almond flour abounds. Guess we didn't invent it, eh?

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I think if a lot of us went back to the way our grandparents cooked we would be better off. That is an amazing find.

Reactions: wdmama

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I'm going to have SOME fun prowling through this one . . . what an incredible discovery, Shalynne! Thank you for letting us in on it! It will send me to my dictionary too . . . I'm guessing their aleuronat flour to be like our vital wheat gluten, y'think?

But I'm getting NOWHERE finding what is casoid flour made from, but there must've been some serious debate back then, about where it actually contained starch or not. Records of much testing!

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My uneducated guess is that Aleuronat is, indeed, vital wheat gluten, or its grandpa at any rate. Casoid (casein) flour may be our whey powder. Or not.

I found this link on the Mark's Daily Apple (primal) forum. Looks like they've got a growing low-carb-high-fat diabetic contingent. (But I sense they don't approve of dairy.)

·
Registered
741 Posts
wooohoooo this is great! ya'll so clever!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Shanny - I have researched this and found the following:
Casoid Diabetic Flour is a mixture of the albuminoids of wheat (gluten) and of milk (casein) composed of approximately: proteins 84.5, fat 1.4, mineral matter 2.5, cellular fiber, etc., 0.7, water 10.8. Employed in cases where carbohydrates are contraindicated, such as diabetes, amylaceous dyspepsia, etc. Thos. Leeming & Co., New York. (Jour. A.M.A., Nov. 2, 1912, p. 1622.)
Source: California State Journal of Medicine. Vol. XI, No.1 pg. 38

Aleuronat is the gluten flour made from the aleuron layer of the wheat kernel.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
249 Posts
That is so neat! Thank you for sharing the link:)

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Wow! I don't know how you found this, but glad you did. I love old recipes, they are often better than newer ones. You can pat yourself on the back and paste a gold star on your forehead for me.

P.S. I just went back and took another look at the cookbook. It will even read itself to you if you want it to. :first:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks. I am a retired librarian and so enjoy research. I wonder if anyone knows if it is available for purchase; the companies listed in my research are no longer in business.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Shalynne said:
When Googling recipes or shopping for cookbooks, I use search terms like "low-carb," "paleo" or "primal" -- but not "diabetic."

So many so-called "diabetic" recipes will spike ya just from reading 'em!

Don't know if somebody's posted this before, but even though this cookbook's got "diabetic" right in the title ... it looks pretty darn good!

Plus, it's public domain, so it's online, and it's free:

DIABETIC COOKERY: Recipes and Menus

State-of-the-art recipes and guidelines for the 2nd decade of the century. The 20th Century, that is. Published in 1917.

Most, if not all, of the archaic ingredients are now known by different names, or can be faked.
This is very good book...Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Diabetes

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Marvelous, thank u. should give a try
Hi, Tobias!

Please feel free to introduce yourself and tell us about your experiences with diabetes.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts