Diabetes Forum banner
  • Welcome! Are you ready to join the discussions? Click here!

A horrible horrible feeling

4K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Shanny 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hello,
I’ve been coping with a problem for very long now, and it has affected both my social life and work. It took me a long time to notice this problem had to do with my blood-sugar, but now I know.
The first time I started to notice this problem was when I was on work-placement for school. I was filming a promotional movie with 2 other people when suddenly my reaction-time started to become lower and lower.
As my reaction-time became lower, I started to feel my face glowing up, my eyes started to hurt, and I looked at all the people around me, because I thought they would definitely notice the way I was behaving. I became increasingly more paranoid, disorientated, and simply had to get out of the crowded room. It was a feeling only describable as extremely uncomfortable. The only thing I could think was “Why is this happening to me?”
The main reason I thought that was because I was working at top-level for 4 hours straight. I even received compliments at how good I was performing, and how quickly I helped everyone get their equipment. And then, BANG, like it’s all gone. As if my body was saying "I’m not gonna help you anymore".
Anyone else identify with this problem?

#2 ·
Hi HCom, welcome to DF. It sounds as though you're describing low blood sugar; did I read you right? If so, yes - I've experienced that fuzzy-brained, slow feeling. When I start to feel that fog, I always test. If it's a low it's easily treated with a glucose tablet, and I'm back to normal in no time.

Let us know a little about your diabetes. How do you manage? Are you on meds or diet/exercise controlled?

Jen

#5 ·
I have no medication for it, or diet of any kind. I once went to a pharmacy, and they told me I should watch my sugar-intake. Allthough at the moment I feel that's the only thing I can do to make the feeling stop.

Also, what are the main differences between the feelings of hypo and hyperglycemia? I cannot seperate the two feelings.

#6 ·
I usually have no symptoms if my bgs are high. If they stay high for along time usually my sight get blurred and sometimes I get neuropathy in my feet. Usually if I drop below 70, I get very light headed and dizzy. What you described may have nothing to do with diabetes. You need to ask your doctor to run some tests to find out what is going on. Are you on any other meds for different problems?

#9 ·
caren, me too on hypothyroidism!

But as soon as my diabet4es was diagnosed, I knew all the time (18 yrs before) it was hypoglycemia!

caren incidentally, have you been tested for antibodies? About 20% of people initially called Type 2, turn out ot have antibodies ... and there is a genetic link between autoimmine thyroid disease and LADA diabetes.

#10 ·
I have been tested and thank goodness are negative for antibodies. I was told that for a lot of people hypothyroid and diabetes go together

#12 ·
Everything that you have described here would indicate to me that you are suffering from anxiety/panic disorder. I am no doctor, but I do have first hand experience in this as my husband is also a sufferer.
He struggled for years with this condition, and I didn't understand what was happening to him. He would say that after such an episode of scary, immeasurable fear, he would feel like he had just run a marathon. Have you looked into this already? If you think this might be what is troubling you, please know that you don't have to live with it - there are treatments out there that work. If you want to discuss further what has worked for my husband, let me know. Otherwise, please just keep a good eye on your blood sugar - it's So Important :)

#13 ·
Wow! I used to have spontaneous hypoglycemia, and those are the symptoms I experienced (some of them). Sometimes I'd be unaware that something was wrong, until I realized my brain was not functioning normally. Driving one day, I needed to make a left turn. Sat there, trying to remember where the turn signal was on my car.

Other times, I would experience a surge of anxiety/panic as my body tried to increase my glucose level by flooding my system with epinephrine (adrenalin).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.