The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys, this one is new to me. The last time I travelled across time lines I had just been diagnosed and did nothing different. Here is the situation, I will be travelling to D.C. this weekend to spend time with the gf. They are 1 hour ahead of my normal time here in the midwest. So the two options I see are as follows:
1) Change my timing and take my lantus at 9 o'clock their time which would be an hour before normal here or
2) Stay the same and take my lantus at 10 o'clock their time which would be 9 o'clock here when I normally take it.
So my question is two-fold, does it matter when I take it/will 1 hour make a big difference and what would your recommendations be?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Joshua Shorter said:
Okay guys, this one is new to me. The last time I travelled across time lines I had just been diagnosed and did nothing different. Here is the situation, I will be travelling to D.C. this weekend to spend time with the gf. They are 1 hour ahead of my normal time here in the midwest. So the two options I see are as follows:
1) Change my timing and take my lantus at 9 o'clock their time which would be an hour before normal here or
2) Stay the same and take my lantus at 10 o'clock their time which would be 9 o'clock here when I normally take it.
So my question is two-fold, does it matter when I take it/will 1 hour make a big difference and what would your recommendations be?
I travel across the U.S. every week, typically spanning at least two time zones. I take my Lantus at 10pm in whatever time zone I am in. It does not seem to make a difference for me :)

Cheers,

Jeremy

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, Jeremy. I suppose I will take it at 9 like I do here. It shouldn't make too much differnce anyway...

G

·
hey Josh... I'm going to have the same dilemna today as I fly to Sydney midday and they're 2 hours ahead of us. I plan to take my Lantus at 8.30 pm my usual time... but it will be 10.30 pm there. I think that should work. I fly back tomorrow so it's a short trip. I just have to check flights are still operating Ok as we've been affected by the Chille volcano ash cloud here. Hopefully you'll be Ok. It's hard when there are all these different time zones in the same country.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I find that there's a lot of slop time with basal, so I don't worry if I'm an hour early or late taking it. For trips of a day or so I try to do Levemir as close to home-time as possible. For trips of several weeks, I adjust to local time over a few days.

Jen

G

·
I did do the close to home time thing... but coming back I was actually on a flight when my basal was due.... so just took a guess and what time zone I may be in. lol. We have 3 time zones here in Aust. Going ahead in time I found my BGLs to be on the high side mostly... coming back and it's going the other way now. Weird! I'll see how I go today as just got home close to midnight and I've had about 5 hours sleep... although was hobbling about half way through as I got a serious cramp in my calf muscle... maybe from being stuck on the plane for 5.5 hours. I really need to get back to sleep... luckily I have a rostered day off work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts