The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An American Diabetes Association (ADA) survey found that "21 percent of adults with type 1 diabetes never checked their blood glucose. Of those with insulin-treated type 2 diabetes, 47 percent never monitored, and among those with type 2 diabetes who were not using insulin, 76 percent never checked.

Here is the complete article:

Diabetes in control - Product Spotlight...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Richard,

This is SCARY! I test minimum of 8 times a day even with CGMS. While it's nice to see my rise and fall I still want to have the confidence that I am dosing right at mealtime.

I know many type 2's that take pills and only check morning and night... I can't see how that gives the doc enough information. They don't see an endo ... just a family practitioner. And they are always complaining about diabetes... I don't complain about it. I live a very full, rich, wonderful life.

It all boils down to the choices we make.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree with you Allen. Many diabetics do not want to think about their diabetes and they go on with their lives like they did before diagnosis. When complications begin they finally start taking it more seriously. Sometimes it is too late and they lose their eyesight or start kidney dialysis or lose a limb. it is though they think they live charmed luves and the bad things will not happen to them.

·
Registered
19 Posts
No... it's the healthcare system. My aunt is in her 50's was just diagnosed type II. Her insruance will only pay for 3x per day testing.

I think 6x should be minimum pre meal and post meal for 3 meals I would like to see wake and bed added but that is my minimum 8x.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Scary is right. I check usually 7-9 a day. I need to know. I have Friends(Type 2). One checks 3 times a day, another checks once a month:)eek: I told her she should test every day), and another whenever they think of it. Usually daily. They are all covered for enough strips. I fear what will probably happen to them.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I am type2 and I check at least 3 times a day, often more. How do type 1 diabetics know how much insulin to take if they don't test? That is some incredible statistics.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I feel there should be no difference in how T1's and T2's test. Both need to know the before and after effects of a meal. Even if you are not on insulin knowing that your sugar is more than 140 2 hours after a meal will show the doctor you are not really under good control.

The standard is test at each meal and 2 hours after. You should be between 80-120 before meal and hopefully under 140 or near it 2 hours after.

I also test mornign on wake and night before bed to see if I am going to bed too low. I also try to take a middle of night reading once per week just for good measure.

I have been known to test more than 10 times a day... my doc says there is no such thing as a wasted test... all can be used to graph your baseline.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Allen, you are very lucky to have a doctor like that. Very few people have a doctor who is so agreeable. In the UK type 2's are frequently told they don't need to test at all. Just take your meds, eat healthy and you will be fone. They also discourage low carb dieting there. They do not accept the fact that eating low carb is necessary to avoid high blood sugar. Socalized medicine has led to these tactics so the government will save money. That is what I've been told by friends in England. They do get all their meds and supplies and health care FREE though.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yow! That's terrifying, when the consequences of unchecked and therefore untreated high blood sugars will come crashing down on them! Ohmigosh. Heart attacks, strokes, limbs lost... all because they would not acknowledge and treat their diabetes.

If they are in denial that's one thing. But I think a whole other group says, okay, I have diabetes, I'm probably going to die from it, so what's the use fighting it? Or maybe they say, I'd rather enjoy my life eating whatever I want than "suffer" by always watching my blood sugars and diet, etc.

Oh if they only knew how good life with diabetes can be with such a relatively little amount of work to control it. There's more to life than diabetes, but you can't live that full life if you don't control the monster first.

Jaye Marno

** Know Your Goals and How To Achieve Them. Measure Your Progress Along the Way. **

G

·
There must be a lot of T1's, and T2's that are out of control. I test at least 6 times a day, and more if needed.

I wonder of those surveyed, how many even see a doctor, much less an Endo. And how many times a year.

alprunty, said that either his/her (I'm sorry I don't know, I'm fairly new here.) aunt's insurance would only pay for testing 3 times a day. Well, that's three times more testing than some in the survey do.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I wonder of those surveyed, how many even see a doctor, much less an Endo. And how many times a year.
That's exactly what I was wondering.. and I would think the #'s would correlate very closely.

Truly it doesn't surprise me AT ALL to hear that 21% of type 1's don't test regularly... when you consider the costs of insulin for a month when you aren't insured (excluding Walmart's insulin, which isn't available everywhere, you're looking at around $100 a month for R and N just to stay alive), test strips don't really seem all that big of a priority... unless you were somehow made out of money.

Another issue, as I know from being uninsured and diabetic (while PREGNANT no less - it's when I was diagnosed), is that a lot of the places who offer "help" to those without insurance base that help on income levels.. if you make "too much" money, too bad, regardless of other circumstances. I didn't even qualify for pregnancy medicaid when I needed help the most, and that has really high income limits, yet I was young, not insured, and yeah, it sucked. I didn't test nearly as much as I should have, and honestly, even though I was pouring as much money as I possibly could towards my OB/Gyn and perinatologist, it's amazing that I was able to get through it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts