The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was dx'ed with type II 2 weeks ago.

January I started having terrible nausea, throwing up every other day, napping hours during the day. Then I got a fever and couldn't keep food down period. After 6 days a friend intervened and said I had to get to the hospital I must be dehydrated (could barely stand up, collapsed once) - this was over the phone. I said I couldn't possibly move, but with her boot to my backside agreed I'd go to urgent care the next day when they opened. Meanwhile, oh the irony, I was lying around sipping gallons of apple cider, fresh oj, carrot juice, pear juice, chocolate milk - and yes water too - feeding the beast w/out knowing it.

It was quite a wild ride, but I ended up in ER with a blood sugar over 600. After a bag of saline and two large doses of insulin - and 7 hours - they brought my blood sugar down under 300 and released me. I wanted to be admitted badly because I had no nutrition after not keeping food down for a week, and knew I needed help. The next morning I woke up wondering: now what? What do I eat?

They gave me a script for Metformin 1K 2x/day but I had to crawl out to the drug store to get it.

I saw a diabetes educator on Monday and got a monitor, had another visit to urgent care where I got another diabetes med (Glipizide 5mg), and have an appt w/ an endocrinologist on Thursday. My BS was in the low 200's (222, 217) until after the Glipizide when it went down to 116 this afternoon.

I can't wait to see a nutritionist next week - everyone is so specialized!

How did I get here? 6 years ago my BS was normal - that's when I started caring for my mom who has dementia. I lost myself in caretaking. I got no exercise (mom couldn't remember if I left the house so I couldn't go for a walk even) - only ambled with her as she held onto my arm for support. I suffered terrible depression and ate for comfort - more and more carbs. My stress levels were very high, and the last year incredibly so (2 of my closest friends died, my best friend lost her short-term memory due to aneurysm clipping, I was dx'ed with macular degeneration, and there's more.) So - it's no surprise I ended up here.

This has been an incredible wake-up call, and I'm trying to see it as a blessing. I have to start taking care of myself and accept - as a friend said - that I'm not the Red Cross!

Thanks for listening. Very glad to have found you. I have a lot to learn - a lot of changes to make - but I'm dedicated to doing both those things.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
:welcome: to the forum!

Sounds like you're determined to get things under control and hopefully reverse the progression of the disease! You've come to a great place to help that.

There's a wealth of info in the forum, and some great people that offer great support. I'm sorry the road has been hard for you, but glad you're here.

Nice to meet you.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Moon, thank you for taking the time to share your story.

Welcome to the Forum, lots of great people, we're a great "D" family here

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello and welcome, Moon. I'm sorry to see the rough row you've been hoeing, and I'm glad for your friend pointing out you aren't the Red Cross! ;)

There is a lot to learn in the beginning, but most of it isn't very complicated. I hope you'll be able to visit us often, because there is a wealth of wisdom, experience & knowledge among our members . . . they've helped me every day I've been here! Whatever questions you have, ask away, and if you're stricken with the urge to scream/rant/rave . . . that's okay too. We've all done our share! It's an exasperating & insidious ailment, but it can be controlled, and we'll help you learn how!

Take care and visit often! :)

O

·
0 Posts
welcome Moon :) glad you've joined us. I'm sorry to hear you've had a tough time over the past 6 years. Hopefully things are looking up for you from now on. You had a wake up call alright! 600 is very high (that would be approx 33 in BGL reading here). I got told by a paediatric nurse once that they can have kids rushed to hospital with BGL readings of 54 (972 your reading)... I didn't know such a BGL reading existed. You've done a great job though of bringing your BGL right down. It's important to get a good medical team behind you... and it sounds like you are doing that at the moment. There's lot of support here. Look forward to hearing your experiences.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts