The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was diagnosed with diabetes type 2 in 2010. Through diet and exercise I managed to lose 3 stone (42 lbs or just over 19 kilos) in 3 months and reversed by diagnosis. I'm keen to share my experiences in order to help other people achieve the same success.

Cheers, Steve

Reactions: skypeace

·
Super Moderator
10,152 Posts
Hi Steve, welcome to the forum. Congrats on your success, please tell us more, we are ears to hear about your diet and exercise regimen.

Reactions: SteveUK

·
Administrator
2,266 Posts
Hello, Steve, from another Steve!

Good work on getting into remission! It takes work. There's a group on this site called "The 5% Club" of people who've gotten their A1c levels below 6.0. With what I learned on this site, I was able to join that group this past autumn. This is a great place to find the support you need to keep your diabetes tamed, Glad to have you with us.

·
Registered
T2
1,295 Posts
I was diagnosed with diabetes type 2 in 2010. Through diet and exercise I managed to lose 3 stone (42 lbs or just over 19 kilos) in 3 months and reversed by diagnosis. I'm keen to share my experiences in order to help other people achieve the same success.

Cheers, Steve
Awesome Steve! I would like to hear more of what you did. Were you ever on meds?

Hope you can share more of your story :smile2:.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all for your kind welcome. The honest truth is I had no special diet or exercise.

When diagnosed i went a bit mad on the advise i received. My local health team said I should lose weight so I just walked and walked.... and i cut all my dinners in half :)

My last A1c was 5.4 so I guess that puts me in the 5% club Steve, good on you for getting there too !

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
Welcome SteveUK

please let us know your journey

how bad was your A1C? BG? what medications did the doctor recommend? how often did you check yourself or did you wait until you saw the doctor?

so basically you still ate carbs but just cut your caloric intake, let us know what your diet consisted of.

Welcome to our forum :vs_cool:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So A1C was +10 but the advice I received from my local health team was to lose weight and didn't offer any meds.

I still ate everything I used to in terms of meals as my diet was ok at that point but clearly I removed all sugary foods, I've since re added them at a "sensible" level and all is well.

Whilst I understand this approach won't work for everyone I hope my story clicks with others enough to want to give it a go.

Reactions: skypeace

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
I find it almost criminal that the doctor did not prescribe medication or give you a specific diet with an A1C of 10. I am not a fan at all on medication where diet will help but it sounds like this doctor did not care about your health and frankly you are an extremely rare person that can eat anything he wants as I diabetic (just less) and maintain a healthy A1C. It’s possible that your A1C test was inaccurate and your not diabetic .

With a reading of 10+ , your body is not producing insulin correctly or the cells are refusing to open to the insulin . This doesn’t typically get ‘fixed’ and the only course of action is to reduce carbs to balance the damage or take medication . Most people can’t eat a sandwich without spiking their BG so just lowering calories will not work for 99%.

I am sincerely happy this worked for you but would caution others to ‘eat to your meter ‘ . It just lowering your caloric intake works ... then great but if you’re like most, permenent carb reduction or medication is needed

·
Administrator
Type 2
2,009 Posts
I want to add a caution for those reading this thread.

While this method appears to have been effective for this member, not all type 2 diabetics were diagnosed with diabetes as a result of their weight or fitness level. In a huge percentage of cases, type 2 diabetes is related to insulin resistance. That insulin resistance can certainly result in obesity.

For what it is worth, at the time I was diagnosed, I was in the best shape of my life and walked 5-10 miles every single day. I tend to be within 20 pounds or less of my desired weight. It didn't keep diabetes from entering my life...

For me, I needed a lifestyle that was something I could handle for the rest of my life. In my case, that is the KETO lifestyle.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks both for clarifying and adding your words of caution which I completely agree with, I will never say what worked for me will work for everyone but clearly it will work for some.

The reading was correct, the next set of checks showed 7.3. 5.6, 5.5 and 5.4. I'm not sure why the doctors didn't offer me medication, I'm glad they didn't though.

I'm sure people here will have read about the studies at Newcastle University, I hadn't until much later after my diagnosis but from reading it my outcome seems very similar.

If I can share my journey responsibly and it helps just a hand full of people then my time will have been worth it.

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
Thanks both for clarifying and adding your words of caution which I completely agree with, I will never say what worked for me will work for everyone but clearly it will work for some.

The reading was correct, the next set of checks showed 7.3. 5.6, 5.5 and 5.4. I'm not sure why the doctors didn't offer me medication, I'm glad they didn't though.

I'm sure people here will have read about the studies at Newcastle University, I hadn't until much later after my diagnosis but from reading it my outcome seems very similar.

If I can share my journey responsibly and it helps just a hand full of people then my time will have been worth it.
to be honest. I have never heard of anyone being able to eat anything they wanted (in moderation) and not have their numbers spike at times. you cant fix diabetes and it can only be in remission by a strict low carb diet and/or medication.

I once at a handful of dried cranberries and my numbers went from 75 to 133 in an hour. I was SERIOUSLY clean (living in ketosis) and it was the only real carbs I had eaten in months. Once you have diabetes, you must go lower carb or take medication if the diagnosis is correct.

My BG has been around 75 for over a year now so I am managing it better than most but I KNOW that if I eat some dried cranberries... it will still spike. I am not cured.

I still think it might have been misdiagnosed maybe due to other factors that your A1C was so high.

if your A1C is high, then something is wrong and un-fixable with your blood sugar. it can be managed if you dont eat the foods that will put sugar in your blood (carbs) or you eat so little of it that the damaged liver can keep up. Or you take medication to clean up the blood sugar since diet might not work or if they insist on eating carbs

if you have eaten everything you normally eat (now in moderation) and your blood sugar never rises, then the initial diagnosis might have been erroneous

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
if you have eaten everything you normally eat (now in moderation) and your blood sugar never rises, then the initial diagnosis might have been erroneous
Appreciate your view point but I didn't need a diagnosis from a doctor to know I had diabetes type 2, I won't go into detail here but just prior to my news I was urinating sugar.

As mentioned I hope my introduction and story inspires people to at least have a go.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts