The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!! Can any body explain this. My A1C was 8.43. But my meter readings are between 65 to 180. I check 3-4 times in a week. So, ideally it should be fine with A1C, why so high??

I am on lantus, actrapid and Pioglitazone, Gliclazide.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Hi!! Can any body explain this. My A1C was 8.43. But my meter readings are between 65 to 180. I check 3-4 times in a week. So, ideally it should be fine with A1C, why so high??

I am on lantus, actrapid and Pioglitazone, Gliclazide.
What time of the day are you checking? If you are only testing 3 or 4 times a week then you are probably missing the higher readings. I would test more often...especially before meals and at least 2 hours after meals to find out how high you are actually going after meals. I am curious why you test so infrequently, especially since you are taking insulin?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for reply, onaughmae...

Thanks for your reply. I always test my FBS and PPBS levels, twice in a week. My doctor (Endocrinologist) said it's good enough if you check twice in a week. I also check when I feel Hypoglycemic.

I also want to state that my weight is 63 kgs, which was earlier 78 (4 years back when I was not a diabetec), I really want to increase, that has happened in last 6 months, since I started insulin. An increase of 5 kgs, which is now stable.

What time of the day are you checking? If you are only testing 3 or 4 times a week then you are probably missing the higher readings. I would test more often...especially before meals and at least 2 hours after meals to find out how high you are actually going after meals. I am curious why you test so infrequently, especially since you are taking insulin?

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I would test like 10 times in one day, to identify when you are spiking. If you still do not see it, try setting your alarm and testing at night and early pre-dawn hours.

Either the A1c is wrong or there are spikes in there, somewhere.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Welcome to Diabetes Forum, neeraj.

I strongly disagree with your endocrinologist. You are using insulin and still your numbers are far too high to be healthy. You need to know where your daily levels are to properly administer your insulin doses, and your doctor is giving very bad advice. Take responsibility in your own hands and get this under control. We can help if you are willing.

Thank you for joining us, and keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I agree with everyone else. Your endocrinologist is not helping you out. You need to be testing 4-8 times a day, especially since you are on insulin. You should be testing your FBS everyday and I would test before meals and 1 and/or 2 hours after meals to see what my spikes were.
Also, 180 is too high. There is ample research to confirm that any number over 140 is doing damage to your body. Your body is being damaged at 180 and there is no possible way for you to know when you are going high if you aren't testing.
Please consider what everyone has said. We hope you come back often.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Your A1C is about 190 average BG.
When do you test? test 1 hour after you eat and see what it is.

I am amazed your on insulin and testing only 3 times a week and when you fell low. That is why your BG is so high, you cant make diet insulin and exercise choices with only 3 test a week.

I think your missing the interaction that insulin and food play with your BG.

carbs ALL carbs raise BG some types of food raise BG faster and higher than others. insulin lowers BG you have to match the carbs to the insulin. (that is what your body used to do) now you have to. insulin is not like aspirin, the match is very precise to little insulin and your A1C is high to much insulin and your BG is to low. You cant figure out or adjust the insulin dose testing 3 times a week.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
I test 12 times per day. I have found that the more times I test, the more stable my control will be. I use very tight control and frequent testing is an important part of my routine. Tight control has helped me to live 65 years with my diabetes and I am very healthy. I know some diabetics who can test only a few times each day and get alog fine, but I have too many fluctuations in my blood sugar, and 12 times per day works well for me.

Richard

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I test on average 6-8 times a day

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
such a frequent testing not possible!!

Thanks for reply from you all, Mr Richard and everyone else. Let me explain what kind of cost it takes here in India for me. It's INR 21/- per strip to measure my BG levels each time, so 10 times a day means INR 210/- per day, means monthly cost of INR 6300/-, that is approx one third of my monthly salary!!

Anyway, I would increase my frequency in a systematic way, and YES, I am willing to be my own doctor and follow the forum's members expert advice. Please do help me. Thanks.

I test 12 times per day. I have found that the more times I test, the more stable my control will be. I use very tight control and frequent testing is an important part of my routine. Tight control has helped me to live 65 years with my diabetes and I am very healthy. I know some diabetics who can test only a few times each day and get alog fine, but I have too many fluctuations in my blood sugar, and 12 times per day works well for me.

Richard

·
Registered
57 Posts
HI
Your readings are probably averaging HIGHER
rather than lower on AVERAGE

thus the A1C is cumulative

My a1c has been over 7, but now waiting for my next appt in Nov to get new results

Ive been averaging fasting and intraday readings consistently under 100, and even tolerating levels as low as 70 without hypoglycemia

Prior to adding ALA, i had readings from 100 to 150, but more often higher, and now much lower all the time

I still get symptoms of hypoglycemia, but I can tell when my sugar is low without getting
woozy or nearly passing out

in other words, I am tolerating low sugar levels much better than b4 taking ALA

Jay

1 - 11 of 11 Posts