The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to buy an A1C Now meter from my Canadian Location since Bayer discontinued them. American distributors will not ship to Canada.

However, Oximetry Canada does. Their website is at wwwdotoximetrydot ca, but there is as yet no mention of the meter on the website.

If you call them, however, at 1-800-361-6991 ext 222 you can order a meter with ten strips for $149.95 Canadian. I ordered one today.

I'll let the forum know when it arrives. :eek:

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Are you talking about a glucose meter, or a home kit for checking A1c on a one-time basis? I think you don't mean A1c, since you refer to the strips.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are you talking about a glucose meter, or a home kit for checking A1c on a one-time basis? I think you don't mean A1c, since you refer to the strips.
No, I am talking about a meter to measure A1C, not glucose. The kit comes with ten strips for 149.95 Canadian.

I'm waiting for it to arrive (in four or five days) and then I want to see how accurate it is compared to my local lab.

·
Registered
21 Posts
While they have improve it somewhat. The hard part is still the same. Collecting the correct amount of blood.

·
Registered
190 Posts
the price and amount of uses and everything else match up though, so i tend to think that the OP is simply mistaken when he calls the individual cartidge things "strips" but it is still the same product and may still be useful. Its got quite a deviance though, if it can be up to one number off, registering -1.0 or +0.8... considering a 5 is perfect control and a 6 is diabetes range it is a very different situation when you are trying to achieve good control and make small changes in your regime based on your a1c... but from what ive been reading lately, a1c may not be as reliable as we have been told to start with. Something about the rate of decay of red blood cells being vastly different for someone with poor control vs someone with good control, leading to lower than actual readings for people with poor control and higher than actual readings for people with good control... hmm.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Well, if it tests A1c levels - which tests, remember, are required no more often than every three months due to the time it takes for physical turnover of the glycated cells, and if this price includes ten such kits, then it's going to take you 2½ years to use them all, and I hope like heck that they don't expire before you get them used up.

Just sayin' . . . there's no need to test A1c any more often than 90 days. If you DO test it more often, keep in mind that you're testing some of the same blood as you did the month before, so comparing the readings will not make a lot of sense.

·
Registered
297 Posts
David Mendosa has two great blogs on Health Central - one about the return of the A1c test and another about the aging of our red blood cells and what this tells us when we use the A1c test monthly like David does.

The info for the A1c kit is The Best Way to Check Our Diabetes Control Is Back - A1C and blood sugars - Diabetes. The information on red blood cells is How Often to Check A1C - A1C and blood sugars - Diabetes.

The current 30 days accounts for 50% of the A1c value. The prior 30 days accounts for 25% and the prior 60 days the last 25%. David is not the only person with diabetes that checks his A1c on a monthly basis.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts