The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question about the A1c lab test: The way I understand it is that it is supposed to be a measure of how well your blood sugar is managed over the course of several months (although I can never figured out how they can get that information in a single test).

If that's the case, does it mean that if my numbers have been decent over several months, my A1c should be okay even if my morning number that day is higher than usual?

I always tried to pick a day when my morning number is low to go in for the blood draw - just wondering if it's really necessary. :p

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
An HbA1c test measures the amount of glycation or sugar sticking to your blood molecules. When you eat too many carbs the extra glucose sticks to individual blood molecules. In most people blood molecules live for about 3 months. The HbA1c is weighted towards the last 2-3 weeks. So I really don't think it makes much of a differnce the fasting on the day you go in. Also the HbA1c is not 100% accurate. You could have 3 people with the same bg numbers and they will get 3 different HbA1c's differing up or down by a full point. The best gauge of how you are doing are your fasting bgs and your 2 hour after meal pp's. The other thing the HbA1c may pick up is if you are spiking when you are not testing like during the night when a lot of D's spike with DP.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Reactions: Insulation Tim

·
Diabetic
2,680 Posts
In simpler terms - glucose gets stuck to some of the hemoglobin in the blood. Since the typical life span of hemoglobin is 90-120 days, the test gives you a snapshot of your glucose levels over that period. Normal range is 4% to 6%.

As jwags pointed out there are Riders -
The average is weighted in favor of the past 3-4 weeks
The rate of glycation may vary from person to person

1 - 5 of 5 Posts