The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up my labwork from the hospital – first A1C since dx 3 months ago and it is … 6.2 !! I’m so happy! No carb in the world is better than this.

Feb 13 my glucose was >600 and my A1C 14.7. This seems miraculous. I’m so fortunate my body has responded well to the paces I’ve put it through. I started on 2,000 mg metformin and after 10 days with sugar still up in the 200’s they added 5 mg glipizide. A month later I was able to reduce the glipizide to 2.5 mg and a week later dropped it altogether. I’m confident I’ll join the 5% club next A1C. I will, I will, I will.

My lipids, though moving in the right direction, still stink. I was expecting a bigger change in my triglycerides but need to be patient. First lipids were done 3/18 so I was already low-carbing for a month. They must’ve been crazy at dx.

Numbers are: March 18 / May 23

Cholesterol
221 – 241
Trig
191 – 164
HDL
35 – 41
LDL
155 – 174
Chol/HDL Ratio
6.3 - 5.9
LDL/HDL Ratio
4.4 – 4.2

I was out of range on all sorts of things in February, and now the only highlights are my lipids and glucose (104 – my meter said 88 when I woke up, 2 hours later was doing fasting labs so 104 made sense. Meter said 109 when I got home so meter seems pretty accurate.) A1C in normal range – woot!

I’m sincerely grateful for all the help and support I've gotten here. This is the first place I landed so will forever be my mother ship. You passed along your trials, errors, and research, enabling me to hit the ground running. I feel almost guilty for how easy you made it. There is a wonderful can-do spirit that is infectious and most definitely was the wind at my back.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
:peace: :peace: :peace:

Love those results!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Way to go, Moon! And your lipids are coming along fine - it's darn hard to get those rascals to move, but low-carbing will keep you on track there too.

Whatta report card! :thumb:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Awesome Moon! I'm happy for you!
This gives me hope that I too can improve my numbers!

Keep on Keepin on!!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Well done!!!

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all - I'm effervescent today :) And I didn't even celebrate with food, in spite of my side glance at the ice cream freezer.

And your lipids are coming along fine - it's darn hard to get those rascals to move,
I can (sort of) accept things moving slowly with lipids, but didn't like seeing my LDL go up. Any theories?

·
Registered
299 Posts
I just happened to read something about this today on a link that jwags provided, it's "Lipids and Diet" about 1/2 way down this page: Wildly Fluctuating

I know nothing about lipids but sounds like they might get worse for a bit before they get better on a low carb diet.

"Like weight loss, lipid levels tend to be different in the short term than they are in the long term. For example, in this study, triglycerides rapidly decreased in the low-carb group but then went up again and by the end of 2 years were about the same as the levels in the low-fat group. LDL levels went up in the low-carb group but later went down again. Only HDL levels were consistently higher on the low-carb diet throughout the study."

Reactions: moon
1 - 7 of 7 Posts