The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had my very first A1c result from the diagnosis. My endocrinologist told me that my A1c was actually >12 on 5/24/11. So I could have actually been around 14 or 16. Two months later, 7/29/11, it went down to 7.3. Wasn't really too thrilled about it. I was hoping it was less than 7, perhaps less than 6.5. I have more ways to go then. ahhh

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
You're demanding aren't you? I also want a mansion on the beach but it's not very realistic given my bank account :)

Given your prior high numbers, you are still getting readings from that period in your A1C. If it was based on only this month (an impossibility) you would definitely have been <6.5.

7.3 in TWO MONTHS is ... A.W.E.S.O.M.E !!! :tea:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks moon. yeah, i want to be in tight control as possible. i don't think i'd be in much control on the next one...my endo told me to eat more so that i can gain weight. my numbers have been on the low end and i don't really go beyond the max numbers....so we shall see.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Sir Allan, you need to GET thrilled about it! :D For one who still has some glycated hemoglobin coursing through his veins, that's a terrific A1c. Usually the A1c tests are spaced three months apart to eliminate old glycated cells from distorting the new test.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you Shanny. I was really hoping for something lower :)

Sir Allan, you need to GET thrilled about it! :D For one who still has some glycated hemoglobin coursing through his veins, that's a terrific A1c. Usually the A1c tests are spaced three months apart to eliminate old glycated cells from distorting the new test.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
If they'd waited the full three months, it WOULDA been lower. They scheduled it too soon. Nothing you did wrong.
This is so true! If you're doing a 7.3 after only 2 months, you're VERY likely to be in the 6's at your next showing!

I went from a 12.1 to a 7.0 to a 6.0, so I'm sure you can to! My Dr. was thrilled with my results - I'm sure you AND your Dr will be very happy with your next test!

Good going! Be proud of yourself, it's a GREAT accomplishment in 2 months!!! :D

·
Registered
633 Posts
I ran at 7+ all my life untill I went on a pump. Injectable basal insulins make getting anything lower than 7.2 or 7.3 impossible for me. It has to do with the way it works not the amount I was taking. So don't be supprised if you top out near the 7 mark.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts