The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
164 Posts
Well ... hate to say this, but that 142 is a diabetic number. Most of us try to keep well below 140. As for what you are ... You may be in the very early stage that some call "pre-diabetes" ... or ... you may actually be a Type 1 or 1.5 on a "honeymoon." A honeymoon is a period where the pancreas seems to be working perfectly ... but is actually on its way out. This period may last anywhere from a few weeks to a year, after which, high numbers will return, and insulin will be a must. If you have not been tested for Type -- this is the time. In your shoes, in fact, I would get a full set of blood tests to make sure any diagnosis is both accurate and comprehensive. Open-mindedness is an attitude we all must cultivate, albeit one best balanced with a healthy dose of skepticism. Diabetic Reversal/Cure is an extraordinary phenomenon for one to claim. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, of which, so far, I (sorry to say) have seen none.
Thanks, what are you referring to when you say full blood work. I've had blood work to check A1C, and I know they've mentioned my insulin production on the blood work.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
To confirm diagnosis:
-- A1c repeat (only if it's been 3 months or more since your last test)
-- FBG (fasting glucose)
-- OGTT (maybe -- this is a direct glucose-reaction test)

To determine Type:
-- GAD (to check for antibodies consistent with Type 1)
-- C-Peptide (to determine level of pancreas function)

Type testing should be mandatory and immediate for any diabetes diagnosis. All too often, however, we must ask for it (and to do that, we need to know what to ask for)!

·
Diabetic
2,680 Posts
A Dr. Mayer Davidson MD, published a paper in 2001 on existing confusion in a proper diagnosis of diabetes and differing standards being followed and applied by the medical community. His suggestion in the paper is outlined in the image that is attached.

ULN = Upper Limit Normal A1c (then considered as 6.0%)

Diagnosis Norms.jpg

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
What is the difference between fasting BG and C-peptide tests and how are results interpreted and useful?

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
The c-Peptide test looks for antibodies that attack the pancreas beta cells. Their presence shows that the individual is Type 1 (or LADA) and that they will need insulin therapy.

Blood glucose tests of various levels of sophistication reflect how the individual is managing blood sugar. Fasting values show how close to normal values an individual goes without the complication of recently ingested food. Other tests, at various times after the meal reflect how the body is coping with the digestion of food from a blood sugar point of view.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Sorry, I meant the difference between fasting insulin, not fasting BG, and C-peptide.

·
Banned
164 Posts
Well ... hate to say this, but that 142 is a diabetic number. Most of us try to keep well below 140. As for what you are ... You may be in the very early stage that some call "pre-diabetes" ... or ... you may actually be a Type 1 or 1.5 on a "honeymoon." A honeymoon is a period where the pancreas seems to be working perfectly ... but is actually on its way out. This period may last anywhere from a few weeks to a year, after which, high numbers will return, and insulin will be a must. If you have not been tested for Type -- this is the time. In your shoes, in fact, I would get a full set of blood tests to make sure any diagnosis is both accurate and comprehensive. Open-mindedness is an attitude we all must cultivate, albeit one best balanced with a healthy dose of skepticism. Diabetic Reversal/Cure is an extraordinary phenomenon for one to claim. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, of which, so far, I (sorry to say) have seen none.
Would a honeymoon phase be the case if my pancreas function is improving from one blood test to the next test?

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
Sorry, I meant the difference between fasting insulin, not fasting BG, and C-peptide.
The body has a usual level for fasting blood sugar and also insulin. If the insulin level is high without the presence of a recent meal, the assumption is that the individual is insulin resistant and the product of choice in that case would usually be metformin.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
John.in.France, Given your posted numbers how is it you are type 2 diabetic? You take no medicine and your numbers, including your weight, look ideal.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
How do I add my statistics to the bottom of my posts as are in John.in.France's posts?

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
To create a signature graphic like mine - have a look here Diabetes Forum Tools For Diabetics — Blood Sugar Management Tools

Four years ago, I went DKA and spent a week in a French hospital at the end of an insulin pump.

Since then thanks to firm diet control, I have managed to reduce my blood glucose level to a value that might be considered good. However, all it will take is my decision to treat? myself to a large-sorry - small bowl of pasta and I would very quickly show a not very nice spike.

So - I am most certainly diabetic - merely one who takes control very seriously. I am under instructions from she who must be obeyed that I must continue to draw my pension from my former employer until I reach 95 years of age - at a minimum or she'll kill me. In the face of that threat - what choice do I have? :D

21 - 31 of 31 Posts