The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Hey Brand,

Are you still on glyburide or other non-insulin medications? I looked back through your old posts and it seems that you've been having high blood sugar and complications (like your feet) for way too long.

If you aren't already on insulin, now's the time. Even if you have plans to change your diet and exercise, at this point, if it were me, I would want to get my blood sugar down to safer levels first. Then over time, if you want to take less insulin, work on doing that while you have a safety net.

I'm not a doctor, and this isn't medical advice. Just that this is doing real damage as you well know, and I want to encourage you to see your doctor to make him take you and your health seriously and give you proper treatment.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Brand,

If you're like me, I pop myself in the head and instead of saying, "I could have had a V8", I say, "I should have started insulin a long time before now!"

Best medicine I ever took for the big D. Keep in mind your eating habits should not change. I have some friends that started insulin with the thought in mind that they could eat 'normal' again. :vs_no_no_no:

Keep eating LCHF and let the insulin help lower your daily numbers! You'll get down from 13!

Good luck! :biggrin:

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am on a new insulin Victoza and take two pills for my glucose. I have heard about diabetes food you can buy so I am looking into buying a kit this week. Thanks.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I see a doctor. I am not on glyburide anymore. I take now take Glimeperide and Onglyza. Not to mention my new Insulin.
Thanks everyone.

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Yes, I see a doctor. I am not on glyburide anymore. I take now take Glimeperide and Onglyza. Not to mention my new Insulin.
Thanks everyone.
Sorry I'm confused... Victoza is not insulin, even though it does come in an injectable pen that looks like an insulin pen. Are you on insulin as well as these other drugs?

After a certain point, you have to admit that your body doesn't make enough insulin. Adding more drugs on top won't change that.

If your doctor's reaction to an A1c of 13 is prescribing Victoza... wow. Even according to the drug manufacturers own studies and marketing, it only lowers A1c on average of 1.5 points. It's not enough and your doc should know that...

·
Super Moderator
9,511 Posts
Hi brand, welcome back. Hate to hear you are still having high BG numbers.

The pills you were and are on and the Victoza try to force your ailing beta cells to produce more insulin. If the beta cells are not capable, then your current meds are doing nothing good but making you susceptible to their wonderfully awful potential side effects. Has your doctor tested your C-peptide to see if you are even producing much insulin?

Or have they tested to see if you are maybe a type 1.5 and not a type 2.

Like Daytona, it's time now to get control of your BG, insulin is by far the best thing you can do for short or long term treatment at this time.

As far as "diabetic foods", be wary, most of them, although claiming to be diabetic friendly, are far from what a diabetic needs to be eating. You need to look at greatly reducing the amount of carbohydrates currently in your diet. You would best be served, health wise and pocketbook wise to avoid anything labeled diabetic friendly. Check out our Recipe Forum for ideas of what to eat or Dietdoctor Low Carb High Fat for Beginners

Reactions: brand19922006

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hi brand19922006 - just joining this thread now. You've gotten some great advice so far. I hope that you and your doctor can work something out to lower that A1C for you,

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When I think I am doing better with brown foods, I hear you have to make sure that you have the right brown food. I am speaking of brown bread. I also have tried some brown rice to help.

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Hi Daytona, I was on Lantus, then Tresiba and now I am on Victoza.
Okay, Lantus is an older basal insulin, Tresiba is the latest basal insulin. Victoza is not insulin and doesn't replace basal (or bolus) insulin.

It's pretty uncommon to go from basal insulin (which is for when your body can't even make enough insulin to control your blood sugar when you don't eat anything), to no insulin and only Victoza (which works by forcing your pancreas to make more insulin when your blood sugar is already high). If basal isn't enough to keep your blood sugar under control when eating meals, the next step is bolus (fast acting insulin) with meals.

I'll stop pestering you but maybe it's time to see a doctor who is experienced with diabetes, especially how to use insulin, which is an endocrinologist. Either way, I hope you figure something out to lower your A1C under 7, I know how awful it feels to have such high blood sugar all the time, it makes everything feel harder.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts