The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Type II, diagnosed 18 months ago. I have lost weight, have my A1C1 under control, am vegan, and have cut my Metformin in half. So, all is well.

My question is about spikes after eating. Even after all the good weight loss and exercise, I still spike after eating more than about 20 carbs in one sitting; for example beans. I try to keep my peak to about 140, but as a Vegan, I have been spiking up to 180 or so often. So, I am wondering, do spikes in themselves cause damage to our bodies. Or, are they merely of indicator of what will happen to our A1C1 eventually. Since my A1C1 is 5.0, I am wondering if I can let myself spike as long as the number comes down within a couple hours.

Thanks much,

P.Park

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I keep my bg below 120, and try to only eat about 10 carbs per sitting, or I spike, but we are all different, so you will have to keep testing to see how many carbs you can eat at one time and still keep from spiking. The highs and lows are what do damage to your body, so I try to avoid any spikes. If you do some reading at Blood Sugar 101 it should be helpful to you. There is a section there, 'What is normal blood sugar?' But all of the info. at the site is great.

Congratulations on the A1c.

·
Registered
741 Posts
A1c is an indication but not perfect...as you know if you are spiking at 180...it follows that you are also having lows if your result is 5.0.

When you numbers go over 140 you are doing damage...180 yes!

Why did you reduce the metformin? It may help stop those spikes...

So really either eat less carbs per meal...or add more fat and see if that helps...or try a larger dose of metformin... probably a combination of all 3

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I think we are all different. I tried the 140 number and my morning bg crept way too high, so now I try 100-120 after meals as my goal. I was a vegan before Diabetes and had difficulties keeping bgs low. I added back in eggs and cheese and actually now I do eat meat. I can handle about 1/3 cup of beans but only if they are mixed with some meat and fat. I know they use HbA1c's as a tool to see how your diabetes is progressing but I like to go by my daily averages, instead. There are many conditions that can affect an HbA1c.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I have spiked well above 140 for 40 years and will continue to spike every time I eat.

Sent from my iPhone using Diabetes

1 - 5 of 5 Posts