1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
bayer a1c

I have used it the same day I had my lab work done to check its accuracy. My lab was 5.3, the bayer read 5.1 Close enough for me. Pretty easy to use.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have used it the same day I had my lab work done to check its accuracy. My lab was 5.3, the bayer read 5.1 Close enough for me. Pretty easy to use.

Can you tell me how to use one? Is it the same amount of blood as regular testing on your finger or is it more complicated than that?

·
Registered
19 Posts
bayer a1c

Can you tell me how to use one? Is it the same amount of blood as regular testing on your finger or is it more complicated than that?

It is the same amount of blood. The instructions are about 4 steps which are clearly described. Draw the blood in their prick system and apply it to the test strip in a plastic holding device, it gives a reading in 5 minutes. Only thing to be aware of is to apply the blood within 2 minutes of opening the test strip package as I recall. Less painful than my own blood draw as I don't usually change my needles often (shhh....don't tell anyone).

Good luck, it is nice to not have to call the doc or lab and get an ok for an a1c, or to be told to wait one more month for the 3 months to expire between tests. Sometimes you just want to know.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is the same amount of blood. The instructions are about 4 steps which are clearly described. Draw the blood in their prick system and apply it to the test strip in a plastic holding device, it gives a reading in 5 minutes. Only thing to be aware of is to apply the blood within 2 minutes of opening the test strip package as I recall. Less painful than my own blood draw as I don't usually change my needles often (shhh....don't tell anyone).

Good luck, it is nice to not have to call the doc or lab and get an ok for an a1c, or to be told to wait one more month for the 3 months to expire between tests. Sometimes you just want to know.
How often do you test - monthly?

·
Registered
19 Posts
A monthly test doesn't give me much info, as you are getting a distorted look back to the 3 month window. I test my a1c with my HMO lab each three months. I know some HMOs that will not give it to you that much, preferring 6-9-12 months. I am fairly assertive and my doc lets me have my way (because I give him good numbers I think). I have been at this for over 20+ years, so know my expected range. I only home test a1c when I have changed my meds ( ie going down on glyburide due to weight loss) for about 2 months, diet (ie adding lots of fiber) or change in exercise, or when I have unusually high stress months also (ie death of a grandchild). I am not on insulin. To be honest, I test a1c to get positive reinforcement. I test with my regular strips only about 2 times a day because I have a routine so I know what to expect most times of day. I travel a lot for extended periods, so my diet suffers from quacamole, to much pasta/wine etc so I test more often then. I think the home test kits are reliable enough to use them instead of lab reports if you unfortunately lose insurance coverage. I would not hesitate to rely on them solely if that is what you need to do. My guess is that in time more HMOs will use them as they get even more accurate.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts