The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mother is 45+ , her bmi is 23.8. she is an active person. she has no family history of diabetes. Her sugar ( in lab) was tested 10 months ago and it was normal.
However my dad is diabetic so i tested my mothers blood glucose level after 1 hour of meal and it was 140. That made me quite tensed and then i did a fasting test which showed 109. All this qualifies for prediabetic. But she has been under constant stress.. Could it be that the stress levels have caused this? she has been crying and under stress for 1-2 months.
Can this rise be temporary? Does she have to see what shes eating and monitor herr diet? Shes planning to reduce her weight by 5-6 pounds.
If it is prediabetes is there a way to reverse the situation?
She has always been thirsty since we were young.. its nothing new. tired i dont think so she works more then i do

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Increased stress definitely causes higher BG levels for most people.

However experts differ on the topic of ongoing stress effecting BG levels

Higher stress contributes to other things that can have an impact on BGs like - no exercise, irregular food timings which may impact BGs....

However I would suggest you test her more often. One reading can be off so a couple of reading will give you the right picture.

Loosing weight is the right thing to do. On the diet she must cut or reduce on her carbohydrates (main sources are - breads, pastas, pizza, juices, colas, oats, potatoes other grains)

I believe you can prevent prediabetes from becoming full blown diabetes. So in that sense it can be reversed or stalled. But if you are thinking that after getting back to normal blood sugars she can go back to a high carb diet there is a high chance diabetes may raise it's head....

·
Diabetic
2,680 Posts
For a confirmation, I'd suggest an OGTT (Oral Glucose Tolerance Test). You can google that and read more about it. One has to fail an OGTT on 2 occasions, 2-3 weeks apart to be officially diagonised as diabetic

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
When you ask if prediabetes can be reversed, if you mean can it be cured, the answer is no. I have been prediabetic for about 8 months. I started eating low carb as soon as I found out, and have kept good control of my blood sugar, which has kept me off of meds and kept me from becoming a full-blown diabetic. If I keep this good control, my hope is that I will never need meds and never become full-blown, but no one knows whether or not that will be the case, only time will tell.

If your mom is prediabetic, she is very fortunate that she caught it early as long as she takes things in hand as soon as possible.

·
Banned
21 Posts
It is really very good thing that she is planning to reduce the weight. Weight loss and diet is always good for diabetic patient. but first of all concern your doctor. Because she is suffering from stress and it will show the bad effects on her health. It is better to her to be fit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts