The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum so pls excuse my 'noobness' to my lack of knowledge and understanding (more specifically, the terminology being used). I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes at the start of 2010 and to cut a long story short, I have a skin condition that I have been told is directly related to type 2 diabetes. The skin condition is called Acanthosis Nigricans which is more aligned to people with type 2 diabetes with obesity although I am not and have never been obese.

I did a self diagnosis using info on the net and a doctor verified my suspicions but prevoius to this, I believe I've had the condition since my teens (I am now 30). The reason for thinking this is because i've had skin darkening in my armpits and neck since the age of 15 and since my pregnancy it has become progressively worse, to a point where i was too embarrassed to see a doctor, hence my self prognosis using the internet. When i discovered that the condition was related to diabetes i forced myself to see the doc. Can someone have type 2 for this long and not know it? I used to have fainting episodes at school but nothing was ever discovered.

Also, I was wondering if there was anyone else out there that suffered with AN and if they know of anything that might help with its appearance - it is becoming such an issue and it looks like I haven't bathed or showered! I am beginning to loathe myself and although i have lost 10 kg since last July, the AN is not subsiding. I have been told by my doctor to lose more weight but i'm already 77 kg and for 5'10" that is a healthy weight to be (my post pregnancy weight was 70kg). I'm struggling to cut out more carbs from my diet as I play sport at a high level and train for 2 hours, 4 times a wk; I struggled to change my diet in the first place! Being told to lose more weight is frustrating me because my energy levels are so low due to my diet which basically consists of minimal sugar, poultry, fish, fresh veg, no fruit and 1 portion of complex carbs per day (although i'm now considering ditching these too as a last resort to sort out my diabetes). My doctor seems just as baffled as I am and has suggested doubling my medication (diabex) as well as more weight loss which I am willing to try.

In the meantime, ANY help or advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated! Also, can anyone post me an example of their diet so that i can see where I am failing (I will be honest - sugar is my nemisis but i have cut back on this drastically). Sorry this is such a long story but as i said, i've had this skin darkening now since my teens and possibly type 2 and am so desperate to sort it out.

Hope you're all having a good day

Ely :)

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Welcome Ely! I am not familiar with your condition. It doesn't sound pleasant. The only thing I can think of is to try some skin lightening cream. I have had acne since 14 and have alot of uneven colors of skin on my face. I haven't tried the lightening cream yet. I believe that you could have had diabetes and not know it. Many people go undetected for years and stumble upon a diagnosis during routine blood tests. I was diagnosed and didn't suspect it. I take insulin to cover my carbs and there are not too many things that really spike my blood sugar except regular pop. I keep regular pop on hand for lows, and I might have one can per month. There are many on here who control their blood sugar with metformin and a low carb diet. Hopefully, one of them can jump in on your post and give you some hints on foods that don't cause much of a spike. Come and visit often!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello, Elysse, and welcome aboard. I have scant knowledge of acanthosis nigrican, beyond just having heard of it - I have another diabetic friend who has patches of it too.

The Mayo Clinics website has quite a lot of information, which you've prob'ly already seen in your own research . . . but just in case, here is their page on treatment and drugs to help with it.

Acanthosis nigricans: Treatments and drugs - MayoClinic.com

As for diets - I go awfully low carb for most peoples' taste, but here's an idea of my meals:

breakfasts are often bacon or sausage & eggs, or a small cheese omelet, and coffee with heavy cream. (NO cereal, toast, bagels, biscuits, muffins or any other bread products.) But I don't stick with traditional "breakfast" foods - if I want guacamole for breakfast or a bean burrito, that's what I have.

Lunch might be a handful of cheese crisps with guacamole or a high-fiber wrap with olive-nut spread, perhaps a hard-cooked egg mashed up with mayonnaise & mustard, with a bottle of diet green tea.

Dinner can be about any meat, poultry or fish, and a tossed salad or high-fiber vegetables with butter. We have omelets or burritos quite often, and I make several casseroles with Dreamfields pasta - to drink I usually have the heavily-creamed coffee or diet green tea again, but if I have almond milk chilled, I might have a small glass of that. Again, NO bread, potatoes, rice, corn or other high-carb choices.

I keep no-carb or very low-carb foods handy at all times - I don't buy things that tempt me too much. A bowl of raw almonds on the table all the time. Beef sticks & cheese sticks. Hard-cooked eggs, peeled & covered with water in a jar in the fridge. Also keep boneless ham & roast beef in the fridge all the time too.

Many of these recipes can be found on our Recipes board.

There are many frozen treats that we enjoy . . . Breyer's makes a CarbSmart fudge bar & some ice cream bars that are outta this world, and sugar-free popcicles taste the same to me as anything with sugar.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hi Elysse and Welcome! :D

I am 2 yrs into being diagnosed type 2 and I am surprised I have never heard of this condition. What is your blood glucose running and your A1C?

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Hi Elysse, glad you found us. I have to admit I dont know a lot about this. I have known only a couple of people that have it. I do know that it is mostly found in type 2 diabetics, especially if they also happen to have polycystic ovarian disease. From my limited experience with it, once they were able to control their diabetes, it did have some fading on its own after time. Not really sure what other treatment is available for it. Maybe a dermatologist could help?

It is very possible to have diabetes, especially T2 and walk around with it for years before you realize it. Many times people find it accidently while looking for something else, or they find it once they get so sick from being out control that they finally see a doctor.

Do you have a glucose meter to check your sugar at home? If so, then the best way to tell what carbs your body can handle is to test around your meals for awhile and see what causes your highs. I stay away from "white foods" mostly. I rarely eat "real" pasta, limit my cereals to multigrain and only use have 1/2 cup of it mixed with some yogurt, only use whole grain low carb bread, etc. I keep my carbs to 30-45 per meal most of the time, but I do take insulin so its a little easier for me to eat more carbs than some of the people here that dont take it. Its pretty indiviualized so the only way to really know for *you* is to test, test, test :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can't stay on long but i just wanted to say thankyou to you all and that you guys rock! You have made me realise just how lightly i've been treating my T2 condition.

Since first posting my query I have been revisiting this website and and explored the other categories and it's amazing how little i knew about the condition, or rather i knew but havent really done anything about it...that is until i read your comments and feedback. I think someone quoted on another thread that it's not finding out the knowledge, it's putting that knowledge into practice which makes being a diabetic hard. And they were right. Your diets have been an example of this (thanks for those - i've now cut carbs completely from my diet and after experimenting, it turns out that bread, even those 2 small slices in the morning are playing havoc with me although i havent done any measuarble testing as such as i have no equipment. Again, i realise this needs to be remedied also. But i felt lethargic soon after eating bread). I guess your posts and your diets gave me a wakeup call as to the seriousness of this disease. I don't think i wanted to change my life, i certainly didnt want to pop pills everyday. But principles aside, you guys have given me a new perspective on things and so far so good :) My AN hopefully will subside in time fingers crossed.

Thanks again to all for your brilliant support

Have a great day

Ely :hug:

P.S I bought some almond meal this wk and i'm going to have a go at making those pancakes this w/end that were posted in the food/recipe category! Lol! Small steps ...

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I can't stay on long either - we're in the midst of a storm system that keeps knocking out our DSL - but I am totally delighted to see you again, Ely, and very happy to hear you've turned a corner in managing your diabetes!

Any time you can get back here & pop in for a few minutes, be sure to do it . . . we'll be thinking about you!

take care & keep us posted!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi Elysse and Welcome! :D

I am 2 yrs into being diagnosed type 2 and I am surprised I have never heard of this condition. What is your blood glucose running and your A1C?
hello parky here i also have a.n in armpit arm and back endo said
it is strongly linked to type 2 which i am

1 - 8 of 8 Posts