The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! What are the acceptable BG levels? I"ve looked on t he internet, and even my doc is giving me different numbers. Here is what I found and you tell me if it is correct or not....

FBG-70-120
1 hr before meals-100-140
2 hrs after meals-below 160
At bedtime-140 or less.

Are these numbers for a non-diabetic, or numbers we diabetics try to strive for?

Thanks!:D

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
It's good to stay under 140 (7.7) at all times, because studies show that organ damage begins to occur when levels go higher than that very often or for prolonged periods. My own target range is 80 - 130, but my doc & I are going to discuss this at length because I'm not hitting my target lately, and he doesn't want to start insulin, as I have requested.

It never hurts for us diabetics to strive for non-diabetic numbers!

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Hey everyone! What are the acceptable BG levels? I"ve looked on t he internet, and even my doc is giving me different numbers. Here is what I found and you tell me if it is correct or not....

FBG-70-120
At bedtime-140 or less.

Are these numbers for a non-diabetic, or numbers we diabetics try to strive for?

each person has their own target numbers.

i personally like to keep it under 100 at all times, usually in the 80s

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I agree. Everyone tries to keep their own range. I prefer my numbers to be around the 100 range but I do not get too upset until they get around 125.
Shanny is right though, anything over 140 is NOT GOOD AT ALL!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
At least I have a starting place! My numbers for the last week have been under 120! Wow I'm proud of myself! And lost 4 lbs too!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
At least I have a starting place! My numbers for the last week have been under 120! Wow I'm proud of myself! And lost 4 lbs too!
That is great! It will just take work and figuring out how your body reacts to certain foods. If you are willing to put in the effort, you will have control of this in no time!

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Josh is 100% correct!

Great Job Wisp!

·
Registered
9 Posts
BG numbers

You're keeping good numbers, so cheers!! As I know, for diabetecs, it should be anything between 70 and 110 for FBS and 80-140 for PPBS. If your average is between 60 and 120 always, your chances of A1C would be very high to the target range i.e. below 6.00.

Neeraj, India

FBG-70-120
At bedtime-140 or less.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Blood Sugar 101 has a lot of valuable insight for persons with diabetes (PWD.) This link: Healthy Blood Sugar Targets provides recommended targets as follows:

Fasting = under 100
1 hr after meals = under 140
2 hrs after meals = under 120

Those are considered to be healthy targets. What is acceptable for each of us has to be our own decision, taking into consideration our specific challenges. These are great goals, though, & the site has a wealth of good information.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Blood Sugar 101 has a lot of valuable insight for persons with diabetes (PWD.) This link: Healthy Blood Sugar Targets provides recommended targets as follows:

Fasting = under 100
1 hr after meals = under 140
2 hrs after meals = under 120

Those are considered to be healthy targets. What is acceptable for each of us has to be our own decision, taking into consideration our specific challenges. These are great goals, though, & the site has a wealth of good information.
Thanks so much GoldenGirl!

·
Registered
4 Posts
My target is always 100, that's the number that I always strive for. I don't really have a "range" but I'm on an insulin pump so it's easier for me to correct to a target.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts