The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all, I am a newbie to all of this so any info from experienced folks would be helpful. I would like any feedback from diabetics that use any of the Accu-chek meters. What do you like about them? Not like about them? How do they compare to your experience with other meters? Also, any problems with the machines? Thanks much. :confused:

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Hi There. Welcome! :)

Yes, I'm sure that you are confused and concerned. Diabetes is a
complicated and worrisome disease until you understand the important
parts of it which can allow you to get it under control.

We haven't had discussion on glucose machines yet. Since no
one had an opinion, I can only presume that no one here has had
an Accu-chek meter.

I have heard of a few People mention them but not often. Some
liked it, some didn't. I have not tried one of those.

The most popular ones are the Ultra's by LifeScan from People that
I've heard from. Also the Freestyle Flash/mini by Thermasense, I
believe.

My last many meters have been from LifeScan which I think are Good
and also the Freestyle Flash/mini.

Now-a-days a lot of interest is in the CGMS(Continous Glucose
Monitoring System). Not very many People have them yet since
they are quite expensive if your insurance doesn't cover it. The
ones I have heard oare the Paradigm and the Dexcom 3 and 7.

Merien has a thread about this system on this forum.

Peoples' opinions vary, of course. Good luck in finding the right
meter for you. ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I use an Accu Chek Aviva with my insulin pump (Accu Chek Spirit) and I have no complaints with it. I really like the new multiclix lancet device. The Aviva, Palm device and the pump all can be downloaded to the computer via a usb interface (softpix if I recall correctly). Just take your system to the Dr and if he has the set-up, ( I think once a patient goes on the Spirit the Dr automatically gets the device) he can download your info. I have one of the softpix so I can print out my own reports to send to the Dr.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Accu-Chek

Greetings all, I am a newbie to all of this so any info from experienced folks would be helpful. I would like any feedback from diabetics that use any of the Accu-chek meters. What do you like about them? Not like about them? How do they compare to your experience with other meters? Also, any problems with the machines? Thanks much. :confused:

I like the looks of the new Nano meter but other than that in my mind a meter is a meter. Until there's a pain free way of taking the blood sample I don't think any of them are really much different...

Except maybe that most of them now only require 5 seconds for a result.

I don't like though how most of the test strips out there use Ferricyanide as a catalyst for the testing... especially because these strips end up in landfills and we're essentially putting cyanide into our ground water.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Patrick said:
I don't like though how most of the test strips out there use Ferricyanide as a catalyst for the testing... especially because these strips end up in landfills and we're essentially putting cyanide into our ground water.
Seriously? Ugh! I really didn't need to know that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Maybe it's safer to collect and burn used strips?
What about atmosphere and ash?
Hi Reviewer,
Incinerating/Burning test strips is not a good idea either since they are made out of plastic and burning plastic releases dioxin and other nasty chemicals. The best we can hope for is a gasification system that also includes a mechanism to scrub as much of the toxic gas out of the emissions as possible.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts