The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I'm not doing my blood testing right.. Last night went to be with a sugar of 90. This morning woke up shaky, nausea and exhausted. Tested again it first came up with a E5. Annoyed, Immediately did it again it was a 119. Then one more time just to see... at this point it was 2 min later (daughter was trying to make the bus ect) very frustrated since I pricked my finger and couldn't get a drop of blood.. When I tested about 4 min later it was 130.. My question is can my sugar go up that fast due to stress? Or am I testing wrong. Should I see someone to help me learn to test? Any feed back would help..:(

·
Registered
497 Posts
Allow a 20% =/- variance on your meter, they are not 100% accurate. It couls have been the same both times. Also, try to wash your hands before you check, that helps too.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Are you using a One Touch meter. When I was using One Touch I got a lot of "off" readings and a lot of error messages. Some meters are super sensitive and if you don't get the perfect amount of blood you get an error message. Since, I have changed to a Bayer Contour USB meter and rarely get an error message. Also because of the 20% margin of error a 125 reading could be 24 points off up or down. The more you test the more variations you will find. I only repeat a test if I get a super high or super low number that is out of my usual range. Stress can cause bgs to rise also because of stress hormones and liver dumps.

·
Registered
497 Posts
And it gets expensive to retest all the time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
But how quickly can you sugar go up? Its the Accu-Check compact plus that I'm Using.. It came with two drums of strips so 14 free one. Still trying to budget so I can afford all the supplies monthly.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Your BG rise is based on an individual circumstance. Mine rises slow, I tend to peak about 1 1/2 hours after a meal. It also depends on your liver too and how much glucose it releases.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
IMHO since you were trying to get your daughter off to the bus on time, your BG could easily rise very fast. I know if I have a disagreement with someone - like over the phone or something else - my BG can go from 90 to 150 in a matter of minutes. I know this to be true because I have a continuous glucose monitor I wear 24/7 plus I do a lot of testing.

·
Registered
360 Posts
But how quickly can you sugar go up? Its the Accu-Check compact plus that I'm Using.. It came with two drums of strips so 14 free one. Still trying to budget so I can afford all the supplies monthly.
I use the AccuChek compact plus and I love it. It matches my blood work the doc sends to the hospital. It has always been within 2 or 3 points which is amazing. Tried the ReliOn and it was off 40 points some times. Stress can raise it.

G

·
For non-diabetics, blood glucose typically peaks 45 minutes after eating.

Diabetics vary so much it could be almost anything.

Also, the liver dumps glucose into the blood stream when hormones trigger a need for energy. Could be heavy exercise, could be a stress related "fight or flight" reflex.

However, the readings on the meters can vary widely and I've had readings vary by 20 points when taken within a minute of each other (I did this a couple times just out of curiosity)

I'm pretty sure in your case it was just normal variability in the meter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts