The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,

My doctor yesterday was very pleased with my 6-month labwork, but suggested that it's standard procedure to put all diabetics on an ACE inhibitor (specifically Lisinopril) because research shows that it prevents kidney damage by lowering blood pressure. My BP is in the normal range, my FBG was 99, my A1c was 5.3.

She allowed that I technically don't need Lisinopril right now, but that I should read up on it and see what I think long-term. From what I read, angioedema (hives, essentially) and a dry cough are the main side effects people experience.

Do any of you have experience with ACE inhibitors as a standard protocol?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
970 Posts
I had to discontinue it.

It made my heart pound, and my hands turn red, which was a bit scary.

This was after I had been taking it for a while. (at least a year, I think)

·
Registered
830 Posts
Not as standard protocol for diabetes. I avoid medications as much as possible. I did take Lisinipril for hypertension but it gave me the dry cough and itchy throat. I take Losartan now for blood pressure which works differently and doesn't seem to cause the problems I had with ACE inhibitors. Personally I would NOT take medicine to "prevent" something I don't even have.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Well I'm taking it not because I have high blood pressure but because I don't want anything to happen to my kidneys. If you have high blood pressure which goes hand and hand with diabetes then you might need it. I take 7 medications for heart issues, (had heart attack in which my kidneys did fail for two days). We never know when our blood pressures go high. Just like blood sugar, it's a silent killer.

I really have no issues with taking it. There are a few medications you can take instead. So if I can "prevent" kidney issues I'm all for it.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I took it for a short while too, but developed 'the cough', so doc switched me to atenolol (beta-blocker) which does the trick with no bad side effects, and it gives me a nice low heart rate as well.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Eating more potassium rich food achieves the same thing without side effects, think the big leafy greens endive, kale, chard and spinach, and don't forget squash and pumpkin.

Reactions: JT Reagan

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have been on Lisinopril for several years without any side effects. My blood pressure was very high when I started on it in Nov 2010. At that time, my BP was about 220/115 with a resting heart rate of about 115 BPM. I take it along with two small doses of Labetalol (beta blocker) everyday. My blood pressure today is essentially normal. I check it twice a day and it's usually 115/75 with a resting heart rate in the mid 60's, sometimes lower 60's.

Like others in this thread, I'm not a fan of taking something that I don't need. The ADA is guilty of this all of the time. Crap like ALL diabetics MUST take statins and BP medicine. If not, they're all going to die of heart attacks and strokes.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I have been on Lisinopril for several years without any side effects. My blood pressure was very high when I started on it in Nov 2010. At that time, my BP was about 220/115 with a resting heart rate of about 115 BPM. I take it along with two small doses of Labetalol (beta blocker) everyday. My blood pressure today is essentially normal. I check it twice a day and it's usually 115/75 with a resting heart rate in the mid 60's, sometimes lower 60's.

Like others in this thread, I'm not a fan of taking something that I don't need. The ADA is guilty of this all of the time. Crap like ALL diabetics MUST take statins and BP medicine. If not, they're all going to die of heart attacks and strokes.
I have never had a doctor insist on me taking Blood Pressure medication. Quite the contrary, every doctor I have ever seen did all they could to keep me off of it. I have white coat syndrome. An automatic blood pressure machine also doesn't work on me. It always show high. I had one doc checking blood pressure every 4 hours in the hospital. For 20 - 30 years I went like this. In the last few years I take blood pressure medication because I need it.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have never had a doctor insist on me taking Blood Pressure medication. Quite the contrary, every doctor I have ever seen did all they could to keep me off of it. I have white coat syndrome. An automatic blood pressure machine also doesn't work on me. It always show high. I had one doc checking blood pressure every 4 hours in the hospital. For 20 - 30 years I went like this. In the last few years I take blood pressure medication because I need it.
I keep hitting the "Like" tab instead of the "reply with quote" tab. lol

·
Registered
837 Posts
I have high blood pressure and can't take any of the ""prils" including the one you were prescribed. I get the dry, hacking cough and insomnia. I would never take meds like lisinopril as a preventative. What would you take if you actually developed the high blood pressure? Judy's suggestions to add to diet sound sensible to me. Also, meditation, even yoga. I also find that regular walking for exercise helps.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I would definitely avoid ACE inhibitors and beta blockers if blood pressure is normal. I did say no to statins which my doctor recommended despite having normal lipid profile.

And if one must take one to lower BP, I would take verapamil which is a calcium channel blocker and has shown efficacy for many other disorders including lowering sugar in diabetes. I am on ACE inhibitor for HBP and want to switch to verapamil. It is also possible that I may not need either as both resting heart rate and HBP have declined since I started LCHF (much lower sodium intake and higher potassium in take) and daily cardio.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I take lisinopril 10 mg. all the sudden I had a lot of foam in my urine and I was having chest pain and trouble breathing.
My bp was High but not super bad. The small amount of lisinopril dropped the protein in my urine a huge amount and I have had no side effects. I think it's a good medication.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts