The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Live Happy
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A daily pill given to people at high risk of developing diabetes slashed their odds of getting it by more than 70 percent, a national, San Antonio-led study has found.

The drug, piaglitazone — sold as Actos — demonstrated the most powerful ability yet to prevent the disease over currently recommended strategies — including diet and exercise — and metformin, originally sold as Glucophage.

However, piaglitazone can have significant side effects — including fluid retention, which in some cases can lead to heart failure; weight gain; and a slightly increased risk of bone fractures. It's also expensive, at about $10 per pill. A generic version might be available as early as next year.

The study, published in today's New England Journal of Medicine, followed 602 prediabetics — those who already have abnormal blood sugar and are insulin-resistant, but not quite at the levels to trigger a diagnosis of Type 2 diabetes — for 2½ years. About 130 of the participants were in San Antonio.

“It was a very large study to see if a particular drug, Actos, could stop the progression of this prediabetic state on to diabetes in high-risk people, and I think the results are pretty dramatic,” said Dr. Ralph DeFronzo, professor of medicine at the University of Texas Health Science Center, the lead author of the study.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Buy their stock. I would not buy their drug.

It increases spontaneous fractures in women post-meno, for one thing. SPONTANEOUS fractures? :eek: My endo took me off it.

·
Registered
261 Posts
That sounds scary. What the heck does "spontaneous fractures" mean anyway? You'll have a bone crack for no apparent reason?
I took Actos a long time ago when I was first diagnosed. It was about $200.00 for a month's supply then.

Buy their stock. I would not buy their drug.

It increases spontaneous fractures in women post-meno, for one thing. SPONTANEOUS fractures? :eek: My endo took me off it.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
A daily pill given to people at high risk of developing diabetes slashed their odds of getting it by more than 70 percent, a national, San Antonio-led study has found.

The drug, piaglitazone — sold as Actos — demonstrated the most powerful ability yet to prevent the disease over currently recommended strategies — including diet and exercise — and metformin, originally sold as Glucophage.

However, piaglitazone can have significant side effects — including fluid retention, which in some cases can lead to heart failure; weight gain; and a slightly increased risk of bone fractures. It's also expensive, at about $10 per pill. A generic version might be available as early as next year.

The study, published in today's New England Journal of Medicine, followed 602 prediabetics — those who already have abnormal blood sugar and are insulin-resistant, but not quite at the levels to trigger a diagnosis of Type 2 diabetes — for 2½ years. About 130 of the participants were in San Antonio.

“It was a very large study to see if a particular drug, Actos, could stop the progression of this prediabetic state on to diabetes in high-risk people, and I think the results are pretty dramatic,” said Dr. Ralph DeFronzo, professor of medicine at the University of Texas Health Science Center, the lead author of the study.
I will never take Actos again. I never felt good while being on it and I was retaining a terrible amount of fluid. I wouldn't take it even if it was free.

·
Live Happy
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actoplus Met

I will never take Actos again. I never felt good while being on it and I was retaining a terrible amount of fluid. I wouldn't take it even if it was free.
That's what I take and it's a completly different drug. I hope because I looked it up and they where different drugs.
ActoplusMet.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I just recently got put on Actos... haven't had any issues with retaining fluid as yet, and feel fine so far. The fracture thing scares me though, as well as the article on Blood Sugar 101. Having never broken a bone doesn't mean I want to take a med that increases the chance.
Probably going to check with the doctor about other options.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
That's what I take and it's a completly different drug. I hope because I looked it up and they where different drugs.
ActoplusMet.
It can't be a different drug, Actos is still under its patent. The only difference is you are combining Actos and Metformin.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Yup ... just ca-rack! Not caused by any impact, whatsoever!
May be something like Brittlebones! Thats really scary. I had to take pioglitazone for some time on doc's advice but I started to put on lot of weight and water retention in joints. After stopping I came to normal size but my joints still swell sometimes and pain also. :mad:That drug should be taken out of market like Avandia.:mad:

·
Live Happy
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Actos Vs Actoplus

It can't be a different drug, Actos is still under its patent. The only difference is you are combining Actos and Metformin.
Im serious I looked it up its called "actoplusmet" not actos, acto, not (actos) I have also been on this met for two years now, the only side affect I had was blurry vison at first but that was gone after a few days. I always feel fine, I pray this is not the actos drug they are refering to. people do you mind telling me how the metfor med works? I could always switch.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Im serious I looked it up its called "actoplusmet" not actos, acto, not (actos) I have also been on this met for two years now, the only side affect I had was blurry vison at first but that was gone after a few days. I always feel fine, I pray this is not the actos drug they are refering to. people do you mind telling me how the metfor med works? I could always switch.
Welcome to ACTOplusmet.com, Your Resource for Type 2 Diabetes Information

It is the same drug... it just combines them, kinda like Glucovance combines Metformin and Glyburide.

·
Live Happy
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Very Frustrated with this site so far

I am pretty computer savy but this site is very frustrating I am trying to post a picture and stats and I cant even find where you upload a picture or edit your profile. Also I get e-mails telling me people have responded to a post I posted (that I dont even know how I did that) and I cant seem to ever get to the page or even start a new post all I keep doing is back tracking till i get to a page I can reply to someones post uhhh! FUSTRATING BIG TIME! Not good for my diabetis or blood pressure. :mad:

·
Registered
89 Posts
For uploading a photo, when you hit the grey reply button on the left hand side at the bottom of the page, you should see a paper clip in the menu. When you click on it, it'll let you browse your computer for the file (it also tells you which type of file, and what max size for each file type... which is nifty!).

If the picture you want to attach is something online, you would hit the box that is yellow, and looks like a mountain (down and to the right of the paper clip). Put in the URL, and you are good to go.

For the trouble with the links in the email... did you check "Remember me" when you logged in? If not, your cookie for the login could expire before you click on the link, and then you'll have trouble.

As for the meds... it's the same med, so I would figure you would have a risk of the same issues. I'm not a doctor, so I can't really say if you should switch meds.

Edit! Missed an issue. For changing your profile, in the menu bar near the top of the screen, you should see User CP to the left. Click on that, and you'll find all the profile settings.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
ACTOplus met combines two prescription medications, ACTOS and metformin. There is information about this on Google.

I am a type 1 diabetic with insulin resistance, so I have to take a type 2 med along with my insulin. I have been taking Actos for 3 months. i have gained 9 pounds, and have an extra 1.5 inches on my waist measurement. I also have swelling in my ankles and hands. My endo told me to stop Actos. She sent me a prescription for Metformin and I will start that on Monday or Tuesday. I refuse to ever take Actos again.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
My husband was dx'd as a pre diabetic 13 years ago and was put on Actos immediately. He has never had an HbA1c over 5.8 , usually lower. So it does work and he is not real careful with his diet like I am. It is very expensive, though. Last year we found we could save 60% by ordering it from British Columbia pharmacy called Northwest. We get a 3 month supply for $188. At our local Giant Pharmacy we were paying $220 per month. My husband has super strong bones . The only side effect is a little added weight but he exercises to try to control that.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
ACTOplus met combines two prescription medications, ACTOS and metformin. There is information about this on Google.

I am a type 1 diabetic with insulin resistance, so I have to take a type 2 med along with my insulin. I have been taking Actos for 3 months. i have gained 9 pounds, and have an extra 1.5 inches on my waist measurement. I also have swelling in my ankles and hands. My endo told me to stop Actos. She sent me a prescription for Metformin and I will start that on Monday or Tuesday. I refuse to ever take Actos again.
Richard, I'll join you in the I refuse to ever take actos again club. It might work well for others, but I will find something else to do it's job.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
"actoplusmet" = "acto-plus-met". You ARE taking Actos and you are also already taking metformin. You shouldn't need to pray about the Actos because it apparently works well for you, and you certainly don't need to switch, because you're ALREADY taking metformin.

ACTOplus met and ACTOplus met XR combine two prescription medications, ACTOS and metformin, in one tablet that, with diet and exercise, can help lower your blood sugar levels. Source

1 - 20 of 27 Posts