The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The ADA site has a risk-calculator. On a whim I decided to take the test. When I input that I was 240 lbs, with a family history of diabetes, hypertension, and low activity levels - this is what it came up with!! That my risk for pre-diabetes was low! These were the only major questions on the form - what else would I have to have to qualify as a pre-diabetic for them?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
They're really wacky.

They were right in my case w/ risk factors >45 yrs, overweight, low activity level.

I'm thinking they are heavily (intended) relying on weight and your bmi isn't high enough.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Yes the overemphasis on genetics left me at no risk as well. I think the whole thing should lead to the answer, "You are at risk." and leave it at that. It gave me a huge sense of smug security, even up to the day before I measured my blood sugar at 447.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Welllllll, that might explain a few things. For the last few years, when asked about any diabetic history in my family, I always said, truthfully, "Everybody." Which was followed by "Okay," and nothing more was said or done.

I am overweight, but not obese. When I was obese (the first in my all-diabetic family to reach that landmark, by the way), I was only about 15 pounds over the border. That probably put me in the low-risk category ... which, going by symptoms, lasted through at least a few years of full-on, undiagnosed diabetes.

In fact, I was told to watch my cholesterol, and not to worry about added sugar in low-fat versions of foods, or in anything at all! :eek: (Back then, I simply hated the taste of the unreal stuff, and steered clear of it anyway.)

Oh, and when my numbers were supposedly "perfect," I neglected to keep track of them. Now I wonder how good they actually were.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Mine came up low too. The only risk factor I had was over 45. Not much I can do about that. When I was dx'd 4 years ago I was 148 pounds, a vegan, exercised a couple of hours a day and played tennis 2-3 times a week. No one in my very large family had diabetes, so I got to be the first. Even my doctor couldn't believe I was diabetic. I was definitely an A-typical diabetic. Now after 4 years on a low carb diet I am actually under my goal weight at 118. If a doctor saw my numbers today , I would never had been classified diabetic. I think they need to redo their risk test.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here's my revision to the risk test:
"Are refined carbs an important part of your meal?"
If yes, then you are at risk. Period.

S.

Mine came up low too. The only risk factor I had was over 45. Not much I can do about that. When I was dx'd 4 years ago I was 148 pounds, a vegan, exercised a couple of hours a day and played tennis 2-3 times a week. No one in my very large family had diabetes, so I got to be the first. Even my doctor couldn't believe I was diabetic. I was definitely an A-typical diabetic. Now after 4 years on a low carb diet I am actually under my goal weight at 118. If a doctor saw my numbers today , I would never had been classified diabetic. I think they need to redo their risk test.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welllllll, that might explain a few things. For the last few years, when asked about any diabetic history in my family, I always said, truthfully, "Everybody." Which was followed by "Okay," and nothing more was said or done.

I am overweight, but not obese. When I was obese (the first in my all-diabetic family to reach that landmark, by the way), I was only about 15 pounds over the border. That probably put me in the low-risk category ... which, going by symptoms, lasted through at least a few years of full-on, undiagnosed diabetes.

In fact, I was told to watch my cholesterol, and not to worry about added sugar in low-fat versions of foods, or in anything at all! :eek: (Back then, I simply hated the taste of the unreal stuff, and steered clear of it anyway.)

Oh, and when my numbers were supposedly "perfect," I neglected to keep track of them. Now I wonder how good they actually were.
Shalynne,

Thats exactly what happened to me as well. Fasting BG 107 (three years ago I think). Doc said "Perfect".

Now we know better!

S.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts