The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
American Diabetes Association Embraces Low-Carbohydrate Diets. | Richard David Feinman

This position statement on nutrition therapy for individuals living with diabetes replaces previous position statements, the last of which was published in 2013 [1] and incorporated into the Standards of Medical Care of 2014 [2]. In particular, evidence suggests that the starting point for therapy for type 2 diabetes and adjunct treatment of type 1, should be some form of very low-carbohydrate diet. The amount of carbohydrates is the most important factor influencing glycemic response after eating and should be considered when developing the eating plan. Carbohydrate intake has a direct effect on postprandial glucose levels in people with diabetes and is the primary macronutrient of concern in glycemic management. While it is still recognized that there is not an ideal percentage of calories from carbohydrate for all people with diabetes, carbohydrate intake should be as low as possible for most people.
I just did a spit take. :)

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Great! Now there only about a decade or two behind the science. I can't wait until they stumble upon the SECOND "macronutrient of concern" and realize that proteins, too, need to be kept low to the level of actual need for it. That, of course, will lead them to the THIRD macronutrient the dreaded FAT which of course will have to increase drastically to take up the energy slack from the other two. Then, their heads will explode!

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Yup! Until they use the words "HIGH-FAT" I will remain unimpressed with their day-late-and-a-dollar-short antics. They probably just noticed their readership going down because of the nonsense they've been peddling. Or, more likely, their SPONSORS noticed.

Reactions: Dodie37737

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Shanny! I should have noted in my original post that it wasn't real.

I found it sad/amusing that all of the blue text from the article is from the 2013 ADA guidelines. They clearly state that carbohydrate is the #1 determinant of blood glucose and then fail to follow that to a logical conclusion. I thought Feinman filled in the blanks spectacularly.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Thanks Shanny! I should have noted in my original post that it wasn't real.

I found it sad/amusing that all of the blue text from the article is from the 2013 ADA guidelines. They clearly state that carbohydrate is the #1 determinant of blood glucose and then fail to follow that to a logical conclusion. I thought Feinman filled in the blanks spectacularly.
Well, it's actually not logical to them, because the only way to do that is to eat lots of FAT. They can't face the inevitable result of facts even they have acknowledged so they're trapped in their cognitive dissonance reality.

Carbs raise blood sugar so eat low-fat!

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Well. That was one short happy dance. :dance:

Yeah, I bought it for a minute! :eek:

:flypig:

So. OK. Just a jump to the left ... and then a step back to reality!

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts