The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received my Diabetes Self-Management magazine today and there was an excellent article written about meal time spikes. All of it makes sense, some of the things suggested will not work for me because I have gastroparesis. The article really does push post prandial testing. But we also need to know what our blood sugar is before we eat to see how much of a spike we have. There was a paragraph written on how adding vinegar to your meals can help with mealtime spikes. Vinegar is a rather unusual item to eat alone, but there are so many salad dressings made with vinegar, I love salad dressing so I am going to try and have a couple of tablespoons of salad dressing at mealtimes just to see what happens.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I received my Diabetes Self-Management magazine today and there was an excellent article written about meal time spikes. All of it makes sense, some of the things suggested will not work for me because I have gastroparesis. The article really does push post prandial testing. But we also need to know what our blood sugar is before we eat to see how much of a spike we have. There was a paragraph written on how adding vinegar to your meals can help with mealtime spikes. Vinegar is a rather unusual item to eat alone, but there are so many salad dressings made with vinegar, I love salad dressing so I am going to try and have a couple of tablespoons of salad dressing at mealtimes just to see what happens.
You can buy Apple Cider Vinegar tablets which to me would be easy if you don't like cooking with Vinegar. I would think that would be the same????

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can buy Apple Cider Vinegar tablets which to me would be easy if you don't like cooking with Vinegar. I would think that would be the same????
I have tried the tablets and didn't see any difference. I don't cook Murph, I usually microwave all of my food and I can't even try to think what some of my food would taste like if I added vinegar. :confused:

·
Registered
344 Posts
Went down to our Good Earth Food Coop today and they had the tablets at roughly $10.00 for almost a months supply. The lady told me she uses the liquid which about half the price and lasts twice as long. So I took her advice. I think I made a mistake. 1 teaspoon with 8oz water before each meal. It is Apple Cider Vinegar. That stuff taste like crap. I rinsed the glass out and filled it up to drink more water and the glass stunk. Don't know if I can handle the liquid. Maybe with time I will. She also told me the pills contain fillers which some people may not like.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Went down to our Good Earth Food Coop today and they had the tablets at roughly $10.00 for almost a months supply. The lady told me she uses the liquid which about half the price and lasts twice as long. So I took her advice. I think I made a mistake. 1 teaspoon with 8oz water before each meal. It is Apple Cider Vinegar. That stuff taste like crap. I rinsed the glass out and filled it up to drink more water and the glass stunk. Don't know if I can handle the liquid. Maybe with time I will. She also told me the pills contain fillers which some people may not like.
My Mom used to buy white vinegar, I don't know what the difference is but I am not even going to try it. You did my dirty work :D

·
Registered
344 Posts
My Mom used to buy white vinegar, I don't know what the difference is but I am not even going to try it. You did my dirty work :D
Yeah I wished I would have gotten the tablets. Would have made it easier but so far I have stuck with it. Three meals with a larger teaspoon. You can add some honey to it it you wish but I found if you mix with a small glass of Diet Pepsi it is not too bad. One quick swig and it is gone. Then chase it with water. It is getting easier and the smell is not so bad anymore.;)

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I wished I would have gotten the tablets. Would have made it easier but so far I have stuck with it. Three meals with a larger teaspoon. You can add some honey to it it you wish but I found if you mix with a small glass of Diet Pepsi it is not too bad. One quick swig and it is gone. Then chase it with water. It is getting easier and the smell is not so bad anymore.;)
OK...I'll try to mix it with something and see if it works. Gary Scheiner was the person who wrote the article "Strike to Spike II" and he is very well known in the diabetes world. I don't think he would shoot from the hip about vinegar helping with blood sugar spikes. But I also know all too well, what helps one person, may not help another person at all.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Try rice wine vinegar -- I buy it in BIIIIG bottles, at the Asian grocery. It is milder and I eat at least a TBS per day.

People who swear by apple cider vinegar ... but I looked on PubMed and most studies that show the effect were done with plain old distilled. So any kind should help -- just check the carb count since most are made from grain, some have added flavorings, and have trace (or more!) sugars.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Here is a pretty good page on Apple Cider Vinegar.

On the the left hand side is a menu that has a lot of options including, benefits, weight loss and many other things.

Interesting the talk about the tablets and not being as good as the liquid. Also you can add raw honey to make it taste better. As of this morning I am still using it. Did I mention it taste like crap:D

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
My post is a little off topic, but it does pertain to white vinegar. I have a gal. jug of white vinegar sitting on the floor next to a gal. jug of distilled water which I use for my cpap machine humidifier. One night when I was really tired, I filled my cpap humidifier, put it into the machine - donned my cpap mask and went to bed. Geez.........as I was laying there trying to go to sleep the odor finally filtered through to my tired brain "hey up there we don't like the smell of vinegar". Got up and thought to myself "How dumb can you get"?

Then I tried to rinse the humidifier of the vinegar smell and it was darn near impossible. After numerous tries - it finally smelled more normal.

Back to the idea of drinking vinegar and water, my MIL did this for years and said it helped her arthritis. Personally after my cpap mishap I am not ready to start drinking it yet. :)

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I have tried the ACV with the mother in it. I have tried adding it to water, hot tea, iced tea, you name it. It is just very hard for me to drink. I would rather pour it on a salad with a little olive oil. They do make vinegar tablets, but they smell and taste like vinegar too. I don't really think it affected my bgs one way or another. I wonder is balsamic works the same way, I really prefer it to ACV.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My post is a little off topic, but it does pertain to white vinegar. I have a gal. jug of white vinegar sitting on the floor next to a gal. jug of distilled water which I use for my cpap machine humidifier. One night when I was really tired, I filled my cpap humidifier, put it into the machine - donned my cpap mask and went to bed. Geez.........as I was laying there trying to go to sleep the odor finally filtered through to my tired brain "hey up there we don't like the smell of vinegar". Got up and thought to myself "How dumb can you get"?

Then I tried to rinse the humidifier of the vinegar smell and it was darn near impossible. After numerous tries - it finally smelled more normal.

Back to the idea of drinking vinegar and water, my MIL did this for years and said it helped her arthritis. Personally after my cpap mishap I am not ready to start drinking it yet. :)
OMG...LOL :laugh:...I can see myself doing this. I am not using CPAP right now. I couldn't tolerate the mask and since my OSA is mild, my doctor said it was OK to stop using it.

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
I recently had some acid reflux and read that a bit of ACV was better than any OTC med. So I mixed it with very cold water and it was hard to get down. The next time I simply held my nose and it went down not great but okay!

·
Registered
213 Posts
I recently bought a supply of vinegar tablets, and they go down okay. Problem is, I am taking so many supplements that I frequently forget to take these. Won't do much for me sitting in my cupboard. :(

1 - 20 of 46 Posts