The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
344 Posts
I received my Diabetes Self-Management magazine today and there was an excellent article written about meal time spikes. All of it makes sense, some of the things suggested will not work for me because I have gastroparesis. The article really does push post prandial testing. But we also need to know what our blood sugar is before we eat to see how much of a spike we have. There was a paragraph written on how adding vinegar to your meals can help with mealtime spikes. Vinegar is a rather unusual item to eat alone, but there are so many salad dressings made with vinegar, I love salad dressing so I am going to try and have a couple of tablespoons of salad dressing at mealtimes just to see what happens.
You can buy Apple Cider Vinegar tablets which to me would be easy if you don't like cooking with Vinegar. I would think that would be the same????

· Registered
344 Posts
Went down to our Good Earth Food Coop today and they had the tablets at roughly $10.00 for almost a months supply. The lady told me she uses the liquid which about half the price and lasts twice as long. So I took her advice. I think I made a mistake. 1 teaspoon with 8oz water before each meal. It is Apple Cider Vinegar. That stuff taste like crap. I rinsed the glass out and filled it up to drink more water and the glass stunk. Don't know if I can handle the liquid. Maybe with time I will. She also told me the pills contain fillers which some people may not like.

· Registered
344 Posts
My Mom used to buy white vinegar, I don't know what the difference is but I am not even going to try it. You did my dirty work :D
Yeah I wished I would have gotten the tablets. Would have made it easier but so far I have stuck with it. Three meals with a larger teaspoon. You can add some honey to it it you wish but I found if you mix with a small glass of Diet Pepsi it is not too bad. One quick swig and it is gone. Then chase it with water. It is getting easier and the smell is not so bad anymore.;)

· Registered
344 Posts
Here is a pretty good page on Apple Cider Vinegar.

On the the left hand side is a menu that has a lot of options including, benefits, weight loss and many other things.

Interesting the talk about the tablets and not being as good as the liquid. Also you can add raw honey to make it taste better. As of this morning I am still using it. Did I mention it taste like crap:D

· Registered
344 Posts
I think you all should just buck up and drink the apple cidar vinegar straight and chase it with a glass of your favorite beverage. :behindsofa:

Well I am still hanging in there. With time it is not bad. Ick

· Registered
344 Posts
LOL - I'll own up to being a first-class idiot just a month ago.

I was having some acid reflux, pretty unusual for me, but then my diabetic event was filled with peculiarities. Anyway, a roll of Tums ran out, so I looked online - apple cider vinegar, a couple of Tbs, cool!

So - I get the ACV and - oh yes I did - turned it up and took a swig right from the bottle. It burned like a son of a ... @@#$U#Yy!!!! I was sure my esophagus had sprung several resulting leaks.

I then learned the fine art of dilution.

:D:D Now that was just plain old funny :D:D:D I don't dilute it much just so I can do it in one gulp. Then chase it with something else.

· Registered
344 Posts
I read someplace the real thing was much better as the tablets had a lot of fillers in them. And the tablets were much more expensive. Like I said Buck UP you can do it. 1/2 cup diet green tea and tablespoon of ACV, drink and then have another glass of diet green standing by ready to wash down. Seriously it has gotten a lot easier to do. In fact I think if I really wanted to I could take direct then wash down.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.