The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found for the past week that whenever I bolus early in the day, that my ratio covers me perfectly. But, lately, when I bolus late in the afternoon or at night, it drops me into the low 70's. I don't really feel badly at that point, but I start having really blurry vision when I get that low, so for now, that's just too low for me to be comfortable. I actually ended up having to eat a small bag of jelly beans at work the other night just to stay above 80. Is it possible that can adjust my ratio depending on time of day? And, is it possible to program different carb ratios in my pump the way i have different basal rates, or would I have to do it each time I bolus? Or, do you think its a basal thing that needs adjusting? I am still so new to pumping I almost hate to change anything since I don't totally trust my judgment on this yet.

Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Yes bolus changes with time of day. Most people are more insulin resistant in the AM (or insulin sensitive in the PM), so the same insulin/carb will make you go low in the PM.

As far as the pump, I dont know for your pump, some pumps can have different bolus AM and PM.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes bolus changes with time of day. Most people are more insulin resistant in the AM (or insulin sensitive in the PM), so the same insulin/carb will make you go low in the PM.

As far as the pump, I dont know for your pump, some pumps can have different bolus AM and PM.
Thanks... thats good to know :) I thought I was doing something wrong until I realized it just seemed I was more resistant in the morning. Guess I will have to look through the book and see if this pump can have more than one setting for a carb ratio.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Pam, I still use the Minimed 522 pump. It allows different settings throughout the day for carb ratios (CR) and insulin sensivity levels (ISL). My CR in the morning is presently 6, at lunch and dinner it is 7 and after 8 PM it is 8. I am more likely to have lows as the day progresses so my ratio increases throughout the day. My ISL also changes during the day. My sensitivity to insulin increases in the evening. When giving corrections for highs, one unit causes a 12 point drop during the daylight hours, 20 points during the late evening and 30 points after 1 AM. It returns to 12 about 7 AM. I have several different settings for my ISL.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pam, I still use the Minimed 522 pump. It allows different settings throughout the day for carb ratios (CR) and insulin sensivity levels (ISL). My CR in the morning is presently 6, at lunch and dinner it is 7 and after 8 PM it is 8. I am more likely to have lows as the day progresses so my ratio increases throughout the day. My ISL also changes during the day. My sensitivity to insulin increases in the evening. When giving corrections for highs, one unit causes a 12 point drop during the daylight hours, 20 points during the late evening and 30 points after 1 AM. It returns to 12 about 7 AM. I have several different settings for my ISL.
Awesome thanks, this one should allow it too then. I will try to figure out where to go to change it. Thanks :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts