The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,
I haven't posted in a while but have an appointment tomorrow with my endocrinologist and was hoping for some advice.
My big question is this: How can I get my endocrinologist to take me seriously and do some testing?
I've only been seeing him for 10 months for issues related to hashimoto's/graves disease. On my first visit, I was just starting to figure out this blood sugar issue of mine and told him about some numbers I had seen on my glucose monitor (which I was prescribed 10 years ago due to gestational diabetes). I had an over 300 number after eating a small amount of the kids' easter candy and 200 after eating brown rice with curried tofu and cauliflower. I also told him about my thought that I have reactive hypoglycemia (and have for years). He dismissed all of it, particularly because my PCP had done an A1C that came out very normal (can't remember but I think it was around 5.3) and because "you look great" - which, frankly I don't appreciate when it's used as a way to dismiss my health concerns.
Anyhow, I'm not questioning whether or not I have an issue with blood sugar - I do, and I eat accordingly. But I'm looking for suggestions of how to convince this endo to do some testing for LADA or type 1 diabetes (like my grandmother had). It would be really nice to know that a health provider was in my corner.
Any ideas are appreciated. Thank you!
Carolyn

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
You want to plan ahead. If you have Hashi's odds are you have TPO antibodies, and in all likelihood, having had GD, you also have GAD-65 antibodies. The time to find out is NOW, not when you are in DKA and rushed to the ER and nobody knows what is wrong ... IF this endo will not take you seriously, find one who DOES!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much. Yes, I have extremely high TPO and Thyroglobulin. So I will push for a GAD-65 antibody test.
Finding another endo is much easier said than done around here. I had been seeing an endo from the only group of endos in the area who refused to do some basic thyroid testing - free t3 and free t4 - which are necessary for me because of my high antibodies. The doc I see tomorrow is the only other local alternative. If not, there's a major metropolitan area about 2.5 hours away where I may have to go.
Dreading this appointment because I saw so many doctors prior to figuring out the thyroid thing and am so sick of them (sorry, I know there are good ones out there - I just needed to get that off my chest).
Thanks again,
Carolyn

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
It may be expensive, but more and more of these tests are being offered on-line where you mail in blood samples. You might want to check how many you can just get yourself that way.

·
Registered
6,071 Posts
Also, it bothers me slightly that you're using a meter that's ten years old. Meters have progressed as far as accuracy. You may want to consider updating your meter to a newer model, which may also require a smaller blood sample (for comfort). I agree with the others - do not let the doctor dismiss your concerns.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you everyone! You all gave me the confidence to go in there and convince the doc to order the autoantibody test and a 2-hour glucose tolerance test! I think it helped that he was training 2 cute young interns as well.
So my next question is this: how awful should I expect to feel after this glucose fasting test? I eat a LCHF diet and eat every couple hours as well. I'm not worried about the fasting part, just that 2 hours after consuming so much sugar, I may be dropping down towards hypoglycemia pretty rapidly. That's another question: what if they miss the high because it comes earlier and I'm prone to big ups and downs in my blood sugar?
Thanks again for the advice and support - you guys made my day!
Carolyn

1 - 8 of 8 Posts