The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new at this. what do i need to know?
are there different types of insulin?
what amount?
different injectors?
doc is not much help!
thanks all

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Welcome! :welcome:

What meds did the doc give you?

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Welcome to the forum and the big D

Your diabetic, that means your pancreas no longer controls your Blood Sugar Levels BGL, So…You need to control your BGL.

It can be done
your TOOLS

Pills and or insulin
exercise
Food

Read the Nutrition labels on food packages.
you are interested in the TOTAL Carbohydrates.
get to know the Glycemic index of foods.
http://www.mendosa.com/gilists.htm

Food
All foods with carbohydrates (carbs) Raises BG
especially fast acting carbs are
almost anything white. White bread, potato, rice, sugar, pasta, corn (corn meal, corn flower, corn chips tacos…)
eating a bowl of mashed potato is worse for your BG than eating bowl of sugar. Your body metabolizes potato faster than sugar

Protein, fiber and fat
slows down the rise of BGL.

meds (pills and insulin)
lower BSL

exercise
lowers BSL

Basically those are the tools you have, use them well and you will have a long Happy life.

To learn HOW THIS ALL AFFECTS YOU… test you BGL before you eat, test 1 hour after you eat, this gives you your BGL spike for the food. Test 2 hours after you eat your BGL should be going down. test before exercise test after exercise.
Everybody is affected differently by carbs and by different foods. So you need to test to find out how You react to different foods

When you test use the side of your finger tip, much less pain

G

·
welcome Anon :) I take it your doc has asked you to take basal insulin? There are 2 types of insulin... basal (long term acting) and bolus (short term acting). If you've been asked to take some insulin at night, it would be the basal insulin which works in the background to help control your BGLs throughout the day. Normally you are put on either oral meds or bolus insulin also in addition to the basal insulin. I know my endo explained that he prefers I take the basal insulin at night before bed so that I have a better fasting BGL in the morning. Before insulin I couldn't get my fasting BGL below 7 (126) very often at all. I've found that being on insulin has improved my fasting BGLs significantly. I'm usually between 4-5 now on most mornings. My endo actually wants me to be sitting on 5+ though... so I'm a little low with fasting BGLs for his liking. What do you do in regards to your diet? I'm sure you will find this a great place for support and info. Keep us posted on how you're doing.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
You were not given a starting dose?

I take Levemir nightly, 9U to stave off dawn phenomenon.

My best advice: START LOW, go SLOW.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts