The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's my situation. My blood sugar has been very high lately when i say lately about 2 months. Usually when my sugar get's high i can up my long term insulin with short term insulin while im taking antibiotics for a week and my blood sugar returns to normal. So for the last 2 months nothing that i've done worked. Only thing is i took antibiotics blood sugar was normal for a couple days and went right back up. So i've done some investigation on myself. I wake up with sugar of 345-360 in the mornings now. My intake of long term insulin is 90 units at night and 80 units in the morning. In the morning i don't eat anything until after i exercise. My blood sugar after i've exercised ranges from 200-245. Than i eat it's goes up to about 320. So my experiment was (lots of strips used and lots of calibration done on my testing machine) I took my sugar ever 10 minutes for an hour then every 30 minutes for 2 hours then every hour for 6 hours. Sometimes with eating and sometimes without eating. So day one i went without eating until 4pm and my sugar got as low as 100, then i ate twice during that day after i've eaten it went up to 430 and hung around that till i went to sleep. the next day i woke up with blood sugar of 320 got it down to 235 after exercise. here comes the weird part within a 2 hour span my sugar ranged from 245 all the way up to 380 and this is with no eating. Then i would have situations where i'd test one time then test 10 minutes later with no food eaten difference of 40 points elevated. I am lost and not sure what to do. My doctor wants to add on different type of insulin. But i don't want to because i want to get to the bottom of what's going on here. I have no high blood pressure. I have no heart disease. All recently checked because, I was driving one day in my car, all the symptoms were that i was getting low blood sugar. pulled over had couple crackers felt better, started testing my sugar first check 345, 10 minutes later 380, 10 minutes later 355, 15 minutes later 435, 5 minutes later 450. All this is happening in the ambulance on my way to the hospital. (2 weeks ago) they did blood work everything was fine, did an IV got my sugar down to 220 let me go an 2 hours later. Gave me prescription for Antibiotics while i was taking antibiotics my sugar was normal then it finished and my sugar went back up. My numbers are everywhere. I've kept myself hydrated, nothing changed in my eating. Hope i've made sense here. If not please ask me anything. Insulin cost to much money and my insurance only covers 75 bucks a month of insulin ugh jeebus.
thanks

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Hi, Vadimster!

What kinds of foods are you eating?

Illness can definitely cause spiking. Were the antibiotics meant to treat an illness or infection other than diabetes? If so, it could be that your non-diabetic illness or infection requires another, stronger round of antibiotics, and/or a different treatment altogether.

Highs over 300 can definitely make one tired, sick and brain-fogged. I used to live that way, all the time.

Others who know more than I may chime in soon.

O

·
0 Posts
hi Vadimster :D I'm thinking the same as Shalynne... you may need more antibiotics to treat infection. My sicknesses started in 2007 when I got infection after infection. I don't think my body had any recovery time and I noticed my BGLs were all over the place too... but mainly on the high side. If you are feeling better and the infection has gone, it could simply be your body readjusting again. I think our immune system really impacts our BGLs too. The other considerations are: is the weather hot? it could be heat stress causing high BGLs for you. Are you getting enough sleep? if not that can put your BGLs out of whack too.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello Vadim - welcome to DF. I think the first thing we need to know is what are you eating, and how much. That's a good starting point anyhow. The price of insulin & strips is enough stress to raise you BG all by itself! :(

Take care & visit us often!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone for replying, this helps a lot. So visibly on my body there's nothing that says there's an infection. It's just my doctor has said usually when there's high sugar there's an infection so we tried the antibiotic the first time and it worked. Did it the second time it worked. 3rd time did not work. I feel good at 370 and below. I don't feel tired nothing like that. I notice when there are sudden drops or sudden rise. I know the symptoms like clock work till my last episode in my car. My body is playing tricks on me and i don't like it lol. onlymep i think you're right in some ways it might be heat. But lately i've sat in my car with AC and all of a sudden i'd feel yucky for a minute or so. Shalynne ever since this started i've been scared to eat anything. right now in the mornings i'll measure out cereal and milk no more than a cup of each. Honey nut cheerios for the cereal and organic 2%, lunch i'll have just a oven roasted chicken and wheat bread from subway no chips and i haven't had a soda in over 2 years except i'll have no caffeine diet pepsi twice a month if that. usually i don't have time to snack until i eat dinner. i think one of my problems is i eat dinner to late like 7 or 8. But i don't get home until 6:30 or so. Now i am not perfect i do get a cookie or a muffin but if i do that i'll usually give myself a short term before i eat something very sweet. After reading some posts last night, i did something new. Instead of taking 90 units before bed, i dropped it down to 70 units with my short term insulin on standby in case my sugar sky rockets. lol so far im feeling good. Another thing i did something new i ate some peanuts before gym. So i checked my sugar and it is at 194 the lowest i've had at this time in awhile. I guess my thought is is my body telling me im taking to much insulin and fighting the insulin? Because i've had episodes where i've had to completely stop taking insulin for weeks or months.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
One of the main signs of having an infection is running a fever. Granted that we diabetics often get a heads-up from our BGL before we're aware of any other symptoms, but if you have infection somewhere, there should be other signs besides just high blood sugar. We should not confuse infection with inflammation . . . if inflammation is the problem, then ibuprofen will reduce that.

I have serious problems with such offhand administration of antibiotics. I think you need to reduce your carb intake (cereal, milk, bread, muffins), so you can reduce your insulin, and see where that takes you. The reason you got that 194 is that peanuts are fairly low carb!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well the problem is i haven't changed my eating, the question i have is why was my sugar at 110 to 120 at the most 210 after eating. and now it's so high without changing my eating habits. so i don't think it's my eating. might be. but i don't eat a lot of bread or sweets and so forth. lately with this issue my dinner has consisted of mostly veggies and chicken or beef.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
I agree with Shanny's assessment.

As I understand it, long-term inflammation can run up your glucose levels. And long-term high glucose levels can cause inflammation while messing up your immune system. Vicious circle dance!

Lowering the glucose levels, then, is the key. For most of us, carbs are the enemy -- tolerances vary wildly among us, but for the most part we go moderate- to low-carb (I'm a low-carber). Reducing carbs will reduce your glucose levels and may reduce your insulin requirements, to boot.

Personally, I would dump the Honey-Nut Cheerios, milk (even 2% or nonfat; it's the carbs that cause the hurt), bread (including whole-grain) and, of course, cookies/muffins and all that. Corn, rice and potatoes are also troublesome.

I would eat: Meat/fish/poultry, eggs, real cheese/butter/cream, fresh or frozen veggies (beware of peas, beans and fruit!), avocados.

The following foods spike some folks, but not others. So I would try and test: Tomatoes, nuts, bulb onions, carrots, bell peppers.

We have a great Diabetes Recipes sub-Forum. Otherwise, I Google on "low-carb." Googling "diabetic" too often leads to a slew of higher-carb recipes I can't use. Go figure!

(I felt "OK" on 350+, too. The ER doc said we can grow used to almost anything, over time. Normal levels feel weird for a bit, but trust me -- they become addictive!)

Hope this helps. You've come to the right place. Glad to see ya! Please keep us posted.

·
Super Moderator
6,161 Posts
I agree with Shanny. A breakfast of honey nut cheerios and 2% milk would spike me to the moon. Heck, either one of those would. I had to give up milk in my coffee in favor of cream.

Try eating a protein/fat breakfast instead of a purely carbohydrate one. After all, the problem with diabetics is that we can't process carbs the way a normal body does. So if you think of it logically - eliminating the carbs makes sense, no?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
It may not require a change in eating habits; diabetes is a progressive disorder after all. If yours has taken a turn for the worse, it will require adjustments to your insulin, diet and/or other meds. You may have developed some insulin resistance, in which case metformin might help you, in addition to your insulin. In any case, I still think honey-nut Cheerios is not a good breakfast for a diabetic. :p

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
I totally relate!

O

·
0 Posts
yeah I stay away from all those processed cereals. I eat porridge for breakfast and I may have museli occasionally. But oats seem to agree with me otherwise I wouldn't eat them... I don't eat wheat based cereals as I find they cause me to spike and crash with my BGLs :D I guess it's a matter of finding an alternative to those cheerios... frustrating I know!

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
It's your choice...but, I sure can't eat them or drink milk but can safely have full cream...what about cutting your cream with water? Works for me, but no cereal.

·
Super Moderator
6,161 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Moon thanks, that sounds like a good idea. but with cereal you get vitamins i guess i can just put in powder form into the cereal. hmmm that's why i love these forums great ideas and lots of them.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
There was recent comment that these - High Fiber Snack for low carb diets F Factor Diet, Thin Commandments, Fat to Skinny - GG Bran Crispbread aka Scan Bran. - when crumbled and eaten with cream/water or unsweetened coconut milk and sweetened with <your choice> - is a good cereal approximation w/out the carbs :)
This is true - it's very good too. I don't even dilute the cream. I add various chopped nuts (walnuts/pecans/slivered almonds), and unsweetened shredded coconut too. It turns out a lot like granola. And you don't need more than one crispbread - with all those add-ons, it makes a good bowlful.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts