The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after 4 and a half months of having out of control type diabettes i have been put on insulin cause none of the tablets would work. its been 2 weeks and the doctors have been uping the novomix to get me a dose that is right but slowly uping it. im now on 18 units at nite and 14 in the morning, and my lowest reading is 13.1 and still high of 24.9 so alittle more is what i guess they will give me. but heres my question... the 13 is the lowest i have been in proberly 6 months so was told my lows will be higher then someone having a 4 or 5 and i have had a headache now for 24 hrs. panadol and nurfen are not helping is this do u think a result of lower levels now or is it something else. im moving in 2 days and this is driving me insane

·
Registered
741 Posts
I think that your body is just getting used to a lower level...even though it isn't really low...it's low for you at this point...you will get used to it and as you do there will be a new lower range...

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Whenever you lower your bg to a new level your body will go through a type of withdrawal process which could be the cause for killer headaches. I actually get headaches when my bgs are high, not low. Have you talked to your doctor about using 2 seaparate insulins ( long acting basal like Lantus and fast acting at meals) You might get better results. Also have they told you to change your diet at all?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
im on novomix 30 which is long acting and a short acting i used to get the odd head when they were high. but suffered more with feeling sick and weak and almost like a hang over. i was so high the last reading my machine would give me was 33 before it just said H i went to hospital when the first H happened a few weeks ago. i was then on another drug for the type 2 but that wasnt working at all. i started on this drug at only 6 units nite and morning and that didnt do anything to lower it. then 9 and 12 units that didnt work. then 18 and 14 and so far i havent been higher then 25 which was normal at nite and even after a fast period from last meal to morning of 12 or so hours would have me at that. so i dont think i have the dose just right yet. but the 13 is alot lower then i have been able to get it for along long time. i ate a bit higher carb meal tonite and the headaches gone and was 22 about an hour ago. i think since im moving wednesday i will eat things abit more sugary till im moved because i have so much to do still. thanks but i think the headaches are caused from the lower levels.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
How many carbs are you currently eating per meals? Giving in to the carb cravings is not always the best thing to do. As said above 13 is not low at all, even though your body is not used to it. Eventually you need to get bgs down to between 4-7 most of the time. Any bgs above that may be doing damage internally to all your blood vessels. I know it is tough to work through this in the beginning but all of us have had to do it. As you cut carbs from your diet make sure you add a little protein and fat. Never go hungry. Hunger can cause headaches, too. If you are hungry grab a low carb snack.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i have been having as low carb as i can and nothing was working i have pretty bad eatting habits where i cant eat in the morning at all so are really trying to force myself to at least have a piece of toast so i can have my needle. i have been 17 hrs without eatting and still had a 30 reading. but as i said before i am moving house on wednesday i have to do 2 2 and a half hour trips to the new house to move our animals and i have to pack up a 5 bedroom house almost on my own as i am a carer for 2 of my children on adhd/od the other a 18 yr old with a interlectral disabily. so a headache that wont leave till tonite when i decided to eat alittle bad so that i could see if thats the problem. yes dangous but i have had my levels down to 13 the first time in proberly 6 months 4 of which the doctors were working with me changing my meds every 2 weeks. i couldnt left my head off the bed last nite because of the trobbing pain. which has left me now with one day to finsh packing the house. once i am in the new house ill go back to a better diet. my daugther is trying to get me to do atkins with her as she has been on it 2 months now and lost 15kgs. so hopefully that will help me a great deal. but i wont be starting it till i find a new doctor where im moving too. thanks for replying u have all been a great help

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
andrea69au, honey you have to take care of yourself! Your sugar is so out of control I'm afraid for you! Also, the stress of packing and moving alone can send your bg's through the roof. Not eating by the way makes your blood sugar even higher. I know that sounds stupid, but your liver will keep dumping glucose because it will think you are in starvation mode and kick out glucogen for energy. Eating just a piece of toast for breakfast to take your insulin is absolutely the wrong thing to eat! If you are going to eat that toast, please use a low carb bread and add peanut butter, or cream cheese, or make a ham and cheese omelet, or eat lunch meat and cheese, something better for you than just a piece of toast. That piece of toast is turning into pure sugar in your system. Atkins may be a great choice for you at this point to help kick start a lifestyle of low carb/high fat diet. Trust everyone here who has adopted that lifestyle and had great success in gaining control of their diabetes. I know you must take care of business right now, but you are really putting yourself in a dangerous way. Those kids who have disabilities need their Mom, so you must make yourself a priority right now as well.
Please keep us posted, and good luck with your move. The headaches could be what others here have called "Atkins flu" and it is your body going through withdrawal from carbs. If not, do you perhaps grind your teeth at night? I didn't think I did that and suffered for 3 months with not being able to lift my head from pain that was so bad. I finally went to a ENT because I thought it was connected to sinus and allergies. He asked if I ground my teeth and said I was not aware of it or not (how are you supposed to know this? I'm sleeping when I do it), and my husband had never said anything to me about it. Turns out I was grinding really bad and got a mouthguard to wear while I sleep. It stopped that head pain immediately. Might be worth looking into.
Again, good luck...and PLEASE take care of yourself!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for being worried for me sometimes it feels like no one cares not even the family. im going though so much stress at the moment. the short end of it is my 16 yr old daugther who has been dating the last yr a 23 yr old nut job. when no one cared when i went to the police and even welfare, i had to deal with this idoit that had my daugther so controlled that she wasnt aloud near her friends and would go to his house and not come home cause he wouldnt let her. he hit her he rang her 100s of times a day and nite and even kicked in our front door when i wasnt home. (police still havent laid charges and thats 7months ago) finelly i got her to break up with him only to find out she was pregnant. he found out and hit the roof threatened to kill me and so i took out a restaining order on him. he rings non stop all day and all nite to me, sends text messages and smached my car causing $800 damage. the police served him with a intern intervention order and he failed to come to court for the real hearing so i got a 2 yr order. the problem here is he has been in hiding now for 7 weeks and hasnt been served. so the most he can be charged is for damage to the car. its taken me 7 weeks to find somewhere else to move to which is along way away on a farm. im in australia the laws here are so lame. my oldest daugther is suffering depression and has tried to kill herself a few weeks ago and i was in hospital for 15 hours 2 weeks ago when i was having highs that i couldnt even get a reading from them. i had to sign myself out because i couldnt leave the kids here with this idoit after us all. while in hospital one of the readings the nurse got was 15.8 so i decided to test my machine agaist the hospitals and mine said 25.6 this was a few mins after a call from my kids and using the same finger prick blood the nurse had started. she tested me again and i was 27 all within 2 mins. she said no doult stress is the main factor here. and eariler this year i had lost 20kgs of weight on the meds and my highest was 13 and always 6 in the morning. the weight came back on the last few months and or tho i am losing again. i havent had a good nite sleep in 5 months since i started getting sick. i pee all nite and sweat like i have been on a long run. i drink so much i feel like its no point in drinking sometimes because i could set my clock by the hour for how offen i get up to the toilet. so i no how bad this is all for me. i have had 5 days where i had a really bad irregular heart beat that i have now devolped its fixed up for the time being but it was really scarey i couldnt stand without feeling like i couldnt breath my heart felt like it was stoping and the nurse said it was skipping every 15 seconds they said it was throwing in another beat when the heart was empty and that made the next normal one stop. so im praying like anything that moving will help fix my health. thanks for all your advise

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Wow sweetie! You sure do have some problems and stress going on. But, if you don't get this all under control you are not going to be around to help those kids of yours. I hope your older daughter is getting the help she needs for depression. I know it is scary. I have a 19-1/2 y/o daughter who I found out at one time was seriously contemplating suicide. She had gone as far as planning out how she would do it. That just makes me want to cry to even think about it. Tell your daughter that no matter what she is feeling, there is always someone willing to talk to her either online, the telephone, text, whatever. Keep your eye on that one. I work for a psychologist and one of his teen patients took his life several months ago. I was so upset you would have thought it was my child. I feel so badly for teens today; they have so much stress and pressure to deal with in this day and age. They are forced to be adults when their minds cannot process like a full adult yet. As far as the daughter who is pregnant, perhaps you would be better sending her away to a family member or friend who lives far away? She needs to be out of this idiots sight. Is she planning on keeping the baby after it is born? Again, difficult situation. You just need to really get yourself settled and just try to keep yourself calm and take time out everyday to meditate and allow your body to calm itself. I deal with alot of stress everyday as well (perhaps not as much as you since you have so much going on with your kids) and I know how the stress can affect your blood sugar. Isn't it just amazing that we can change our diets and lifestyle, but we just cannot control the outside factors that affect us. It just goes to show it's always something right? You take care and know that all of us here on the diabetes forum truly cares about you and your health. I know how lonely it can be when you have to deal with so much alone. I'm always here should you need a shoulder to cry on. I will even give you my email address if you want to send a private message. I really do care and your story has truly touched my heart. I will pray (I don't know what your religious beliefs are, but I have great faith in the Almighty God above) and ask Him to help lessen your burdens and send His healing power to you. Take care, and know everyone here will always give you that boost of encouragement you might need on any given day. :hug:

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had that problem too - headaches when I dropped below my average

after 4 and a half months of having out of control type diabettes i have been put on insulin cause none of the tablets would work. its been 2 weeks and the doctors have been uping the novomix to get me a dose that is right but slowly uping it. im now on 18 units at nite and 14 in the morning, and my lowest reading is 13.1 and still high of 24.9 so alittle more is what i guess they will give me. but heres my question... the 13 is the lowest i have been in proberly 6 months so was told my lows will be higher then someone having a 4 or 5 and i have had a headache now for 24 hrs. panadol and nurfen are not helping is this do u think a result of lower levels now or is it something else. im moving in 2 days and this is driving me insane
Hi andrea69
I had that problem, and still do as my levels are still not down to hwhere they should be. I start to get headaches when I drop below 10. It's annoying, but at least I know what causes the headaches and the headaches aren't bad.

I've started novomix 30 and still need to work out the right dosage.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Dinabeth? This is an old thread, and Andrea hasn't been active here in over a year. It's possible, but I think it's unlikely that she'll get back to you on this.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.