The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday we had our family Thanksgiving meal. I had too many carbs (kind of expected that) and it put by 3hr post-meal bg at 125. I'm back on the 10 carb/meal wagon today but my bg is staying around 120. Has anyone had a "hangover" effect on their bg after just 1 day of too many carbs?

Surfer

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
It may be different for all of us but for me it lasts for up to a week. When I overeat carbs then I store way too much glycogen which then shows up in Liver Dumps.

Reactions: Daytona and foxl

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Same here - and it acts as a deterrent. I find it easier to avoid temptations when I know the penalty endures for several days - not just a few hours. And "hangover" is a good description, Surfer! :eek:

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
In the beginning when first Dxed this was a problem for me as well. I then read a lot of research papers on bacterial flora in the large intestine and the effects of a high carb diet. It turns out that the bacterial flora in a person with D and a person with out D differ. I think your body becomes adjusted to trying to derive as much glucose from the food you eat including what bacteria you have growing in your large intestine when you have insulin resistance because it thinks you are starving. (lack of glucose/insulin getting into your cells).

I took this information and started a regime of resistant starch, 40-50grams a day. It is suppose to help change over the bacteria in your larger intestine. these new bacteria ferment certain fiber into (SFA's) short chain fatty acids. SFA's are a fuel source for your body so it becomes less dependent on glucose. At least that was theory I read. Result for me, if I over indulge now, I pay the price then and there, but the long lingering effects go away rather quickly.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have been experimenting. I had my sons birthday yesterday and really wanted to have a piece of cake. Well, I did. It wasn't a big piece but tasted good enough that I was worried.

Anyway, 15 min after eating the cake, I went out onto the back porch and jumped rope for 20 min. After jumping, I tested my bs and got a reading of 132. That was just over half an hour after eating the cake. At this point I was getting scared and kicking myself for taking the chance. So at 1 hour after eating the cake I tested again and I was at 124. Yeah! But I was still worried. So after 1.5 hours I tested and I was at 119 and 2 hours later I was at 114. This made me feel good that I was able to work it off at the moment but I was still worried about aftershocks. So before bed, I took the dog for a 1 mile jog. Upon waking this morning I was 101. This is higher than I have been upon waking for the last week. I have been in the low 90's and high 80's upon waking so I am assuming the cake had me a little high in the morning. I am going to continue to punish myself for the rest of the week to try and prevent any dumps but I think I got it licked. I tested after breakfast and was 112. Before lunch I was 101. I am currently waiting to test post lunch but I did 5 laps up and down 4 flights of stairs right after lunch so I assume I should be ok.

All that being said, I think my point is, if you can get some extra exercise, you may be able to clear out the hangover. I know some are more progressed and/or much older than I and may not be able to do the exercise like am but I am sure anything above and beyond normal should help you out.

I hope the more experienced will give their views as I would not want to lead anyone astray. Just wanted to point out my experience and hope to help someone.

Reactions: MCS

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, it took about 24 hours for bg to come back down to pre-splurge levels. Note to self: Don't do that again!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Why would anyone get sooooo riled up for having a 3hr post prandial BS of 125?

Not to be a butthead, but I notice that ther are many on this forum that tend to be overly anal. Relax and enjoy life.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Insulation Tim said:

Not to be a butthead, but I notice that ther are many on this forum that tend to be overly anal. Relax and enjoy life.
I personally watched two of my uncles die in their 50's due to not controlling their diabetes. One required two kidney transplants and lost a foot. The other lost both legs and gave up on life.

That being said, I have two wonderful boys I plan to spend many more years with. So being anal is me thinking about "enjoying life" now and in the future.
As Sir Sterling Moss said.. "It is better to go into a corner slow and come out fast than it is to go into a corner fast and come out dead". Think about it.

To each his own.

Reactions: Shanny and MCS

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
PWD differ in their control by the effects of the disease itself or the outwardly signs of close friends/relatives. Thats to say me for example that went thru a $hit storm and came back out on the other side ok, a 125 at 3hrs would have me concerned as well. My wife on the other hand who is D as well has never had anything go wrong with her, she has a whole lot less motivation than I do to keep things normal. To say relax and enjoy life, to me a 125 at 3hrs is a ticket for another quadruple by-pass, or neuropathy in my hands so bad I couldn't drive a car, leg cramps, peeeing the bed at night, the foods I avoid will never out weigh the complications that come from them. Don't mean to make such a strong statement, but everyone has to make decisions based on their personnel goals on what they think will provide them with a long and healthy life.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts