The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I work in phone tech support, so most of the time, my lunches are grazed on over an hour or more. With my doctor wanting me to test an hour after lunch... does the hour start after I've eaten my last bite... or after the first one?

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
My guess: one hour after the FIRST one.

But I kwym -- grazing makes my weekend testing a bit awkward, too.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I asked my dr the same question. He said if it was a normal meal that it didn't really matter because I would be done fairly fast and there would be a difference of maybe 15-20 minutes. He did say that if it was something more like Thanksgiving that it would probably be 2 hours (I test 2 hours pp) from the beginning and probably 2 hours from the end just to make sure everything was covered.
I have developed the habit of testing 2 hours after I finish my meal. This way the numbers are a consistent measurement. There are some people on here that say testing from the beginning is most important. I think as long as you are doing one or the other consistently and seeing the trends that is what is important.

G

·
Digestion starts as soon as food hits the stomach. You can test 1 hour after your first bite...or, you can test when the cows come home. Take your pick! It all depends on what you're looking for. If you're looking for your highest spike...take a test every 10 minutes (taking into consideration your meter's 20%± accuracy) and that will give you a nice graphical curve to whatever you slipped down your pie hole during that meal.

As you've alluded to...consistent test times, which I feel also, are more important to your overall judgment in how you should deal with these numbers.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Actually, it begins before that, since saliva contains an enzyme that begins to break down the carbs into sugars before we ever even swallow.

G

·
Actually, it begins before that, since saliva contains an enzyme that begins to break down the carbs into sugars before we ever even swallow.
So, we're talking what, a difference between digestion in the mouth and then swallowing 10 seconds later?! C'mon...roll with this, Shanny! ;)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Oh no . . . just a different life from back then . . . :) My kids still have their own, so we get to eat the homegrown when we visit them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.