The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 12 hr fasting results were 6.3 after three months on metformin 250 mg:twice daily

I'm newly diagnosed and dont understand- I was diagnosed three months ago when my level showed 6.1 and now it was 6.3 after being on meds?????

Is 6.3 an ok level

·
Registered
716 Posts
Yes I think it is ok. The same things happened to me not sure why but is a question I will be taking to my doctor next time. Information seems to come slowly from doctors here as they are always in a rush to move onto the next patient

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Using this formula (eAG(mg/dl) = (28.7 X HbA1c) – 46.7), your A1c converts to an average blood glucose of 134. It isn't horrible, but it could come down some more. My doc wants to see mine under 6, and I'm not quite there yet, although I hit 6 right on the nose my most recent tests in May.

You're taking a pretty small dose of metformin, and if you aren't having unpleasant gastric side effects from it, you could consider asking your doc to increase your dosage. Met is one of the safest meds we can use & does its work without causing damage to our already stressed pancreata.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Is the 6.3 a fasting bg or an HbA1c? If it is a fasting it is equivalent to US bg of 113. If it is a HbA1c then as Shanny said it is 134. A non D will average bgs from
70-100 most of the day with HbA1c of 4.0-5.5. So you are probably in the early stages of diabetes. I like my averages to be closer to 100 to stay healthy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is the 6.3 a fasting bg or an HbA1c? If it is a fasting it is equivalent to US bg of 113. If it is a HbA1c then as Shanny said it is 134. A non D will average bgs from
70-100 most of the day with HbA1c of 4.0-5.5. So you are probably in the early stages of diabetes. I like my averages to be closer to 100 to stay healthy.
I think your right about the early stage of Diabetes ... I just need to get my bg down a bit in order to feel better. I'm not feeling well, but I think mostly to being a insomniac for the best part of my life, combined with the Celiac Disease and my Thyroid issue. I'm working on all of it.

Before going to bed last night I took a tsp of peanut butter which seemed to help with the sleep, read it somewhere here on the site. I am also trying to wean off of Imovane (Zopiclone) a sleep medication so having some difficulty there.

Thanks again for your responses people, gotta love these forums as they off so much for new comers to read and learn.

Deb

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is it possible to keep my bg at these levels through medication and diet...that would be great. Don't like the idea of going into full head on diabetes as I am aware of all the scary complications of it. My father died from complications, my sister lost both her legs at the young age of 46, I have a brother who is obese and can't get his weight under control (diabetes), a son who is pre-diabetic and a sister as well. Isn't that crazy to have so many family members inflicted with diabetes complications.

Deb

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Welcome to our group! Yes, it is possible to keep your numbers great if you can learn to keep your carbs under control. It's sad to have so many bad experiences in your family, but you are on the right track. You are being wise to read and learn as much as you can and you will do well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts